Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'm still convinced the reprogram mode is only available as a feature provided by the FSR1, so there doesn't appear to be away to toggle amplified mode without it.
I agree with you. I tried the procedure before the DSR1 install and not was able to get the corresponding horn honks. After installing the DSR1 it worked. So must be looking for some kind of handshake from the DSR1.
Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question about the subwoofer feeds from the stock head unit (I have the 7" screen).

I recently installed a small amp (Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack), and I used the Alpine T-Harness from their PSS-23WRA system (ordered from PacParts). The harnesses made the install easy, and everything is working great. However, I did notice the harness has two sets of brown wires for the "sub-out" signal. I ran both sets back to my subwoofer, and used them as low power feeds with RCA plugs. However, I notice that only one of the RCA plugs seems to send a signal to the sub (the other can be disconnected and it makes no difference- it also makes no difference which RCA outlet the "good" plug is placed into). The sub seems to work fine (sounds better than it did when I was feeding it a high level signal from the rear speakers, but curious as to why only one set of wires is sending a signal.

Install thread posted here Plug and Play amp install.

Parvezident

First Name
Parvez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Could use some help with my install. I can’t get my amp, head unit, or PAC AmpPRO to turn on!

- 2019 Jeep Wrangler non-amplified 7”
- Alpine PDX-V9 amp
- Stock head unit
- PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 r.2

I’ve connected the power from the battery to the amp, ground wire from amp to a bolt under the driver seat, and turn on lead from the amp to the AmpPRO turn on output wire. The AmpPRO wiring is all connected per the manual. I set dip switch 4 to on, everything else is off per the default. I’ve cycled the car on and off for 30+ minutes. What am I doing wrong here?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Could use some help with my install. I can’t get my amp, head unit, or PAC AmpPRO to turn on!

- 2019 Jeep Wrangler non-amplified 7”
- Alpine PDX-V9 amp
- Stock head unit
- PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 r.2

I’ve connected the power from the battery to the amp, ground wire from amp to a bolt under the driver seat, and turn on lead from the amp to the AmpPRO turn on output wire. The AmpPRO wiring is all connected per the manual. I set dip switch 4 to on, everything else is off per the default. I’ve cycled the car on and off for 30+ minutes. What am I doing wrong here?
Did you plug the Gateway back in? It's the small black box on the back of the driver's side kick panel. Two modular plugs go into it.

Parvezident

First Name
Parvez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Did you plug the Gateway back in? It's the small black box on the back of the driver's side kick panel. Two modular plugs go into it.
Totally forgot about that! The head unit and AmpPRO power on now. Still no power on the amp.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Totally forgot about that! The head unit and AmpPRO power on now. Still no power on the amp.
Try checking to see which method your amp is set to for remote turn on. Auto sensing generally checks to see if an RCA feed is present, while wired is, well, wired. If you're using the PAC's remote out, your amp may require more power than the PAC's remote out offers. The 12V adapter in the front console is he easiest and most trustworthy remote on source. If you still have issues after that, check your ground and also ensure you've put the fuse back in your battery wire. Good luck!

Parvezident

First Name
Parvez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Try checking to see which method your amp is set to for remote turn on. Auto sensing generally checks to see if an RCA feed is present, while wired is, well, wired. If you're using the PAC's remote out, your amp may require more power than the PAC's remote out offers. The 12V adapter in the front console is he easiest and most trustworthy remote on source. If you still have issues after that, check your ground and also ensure you've put the fuse back in your battery wire. Good luck!
Do you know many volts the PAC remote out offers? Can’t find that anywhere. My amp requires 12V. If that’s the problem then I’ll go ahead and run it through the cigarette adaptor.

Before I do that, do I need to use the “speaker connection harness” that came with the AmpPRO?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know many volts the PAC remote out offers? Can’t find that anywhere. My amp requires 12V. If that’s the problem then I’ll go ahead and run it through the cigarette adaptor.

Before I do that, do I need to use the “speaker connection harness” that came with the AmpPRO?
I haven't had much success using the PAC's remote out. Probably best to use the 12V adapter.

You only need to use the PAC's harness if you're planning to send the amp's speaker outputs back through the stock speaker wiring. If you ran your own wires (recommended) then you don't need the harness.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

If memory serves me, it was tagged at 2V.

Sponsored

JTJeepLV

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I'm using the JL Audio VX800/8i, sending two full channels of power to each corner of the Jeep. 8 channels, with discrete settings for each individual component.
First off thank you to Sting_NC_USA for the initial post & the updates along the way. Also thank you to everyone else who was contributed to this post. 40 pages in and I read through all of it. Very very good info. I'm getting ready to do my JT so all of this was a huge help.

Sting are you using the built in DSP in the VX800 alone or are you also using the Fix86 as well? I have a Fix86 from a previous car & a V1000/5i I was able to source that I want to use with a pair of JL 10TW3-D4's and the rest of my speakers. I don't have any experience with the built in DSP on these JL amps so just curious how well they actually work. I have the SSV kit for the soundbar & the Metra pods for 6.5"s ready to go just trying to decide if I am doing coaxial or actual components.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
First off thank you to Sting_NC_USA for the initial post & the updates along the way. Also thank you to everyone else who was contributed to this post. 40 pages in and I read through all of it. Very very good info. I'm getting ready to do my JT so all of this was a huge help.

Sting are you using the built in DSP in the VX800 alone or are you also using the Fix86 as well? I have a Fix86 from a previous car & a V1000/5i I was able to source that I want to use with a pair of JL 10TW3-D4's and the rest of my speakers. I don't have any experience with the built in DSP on these JL amps so just curious how well they actually work. I have the SSV kit for the soundbar & the Metra pods for 6.5"s ready to go just trying to decide if I am doing coaxial or actual components.
Hey Robert, I'm using the DSP in the VXi for all of the tuning. With the 800/8, each of the 8 speaker separates (and the sub amp using the VXi's pass-through) has it's own EQ, Crossover, Time Delay, Gain, etc. I'm only using the Fix86 to condition/convert the stock signal, and I didn't make any modifications within the Fix86 after that.

You'll want to update the Fix86's firmware, especially if it's been a while. There's a compatibility issue with the old firmware, and the update takes care of a calibration issue.

I absolutely enjoy the DSP control in the VXi. It takes a bit to get used to, but once you get a handle on the options, setting up profiles becomes a breeze.

Coax's work fine in the soundbar, though you really want separates up front. That's probably what you meant, thoughI didn't want to assume.

Good luck with the install, and reach out if you need anything.

JTJeepLV

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Does the Fix really make that much of a difference conditioning the sound? I assumed since the VXi has JL's TWK built in it would do the same thing as the Fix. I would prefer to sell the Fix to recoup some of the $$ I spent on the amp but if the sound will be noticeable I may just use it.

What you call separates I've always called components lol. But yeah i was thinking separates for both sound bar and knee panels then some 2 way in the upper dash corners. Did you use the crossovers that came with your separates or is your amp handling all the sound on those?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Fix really make that much of a difference conditioning the sound? I assumed since the VXi has JL's TWK built in it would do the same thing as the Fix. I would prefer to sell the Fix to recoup some of the $$ I spent on the amp but if the sound will be noticeable I may just use it.

What you call separates I've always called components lol. But yeah i was thinking separates for both sound bar and knee panels then some 2 way in the upper dash corners. Did you use the crossovers that came with your separates or is your amp handling all the sound on those?
The simple answer is yes, you need an advanced LOC. The Fix86, the PAC Amp Pro, or a few of the others out there, are needed to integrate an amp with a stock/factory radio. Each of these integration devices receive speaker level inputs and use it's specialized "DSP" function to process and flatten out the stock, pre-equalized signal. If the JL, or any factory system had balanced RCA outs, we wouldn't need the Fix86. You "could" send the signal to the amp, using only the resistor approach, but you'd be amplifying a pre-equalized signal that isn't necessarily full spectrum.

In my opinion, the Fix86 provides the cleaner, flatter signal conversion between these two options, but the PAC is a ton easier to install, since it's a plug and play option versus having to add resistors.

The Fix86 and TWK are two completely different systems, with different purposes. The Fix86 is a specialized factory integration LOC on steroids, and the TWK is a true DSP allowing for customization/control of your sound (Timing/Crossovers/10-Band EQ per channel/Gain/Sound Profiles/Etc).

The best resource I can recommend to learn more about the differences between the Fix86 and TWK devices (stand alone or integrated into a VXi amp) is to download the TUN 3.0 Software. Run the software in "simulation" mode as a Fix86, then as the VXi amp of your choice. There, you'll see the massive difference in control, and the specialized features of each.

Yes, I do think JL Audio should offer a single device that performs all three functions (Sound Conditioning/Full DSP Control/Amplifier). I believe AudioControl does, and it's quite pricey, but the JL team seems confident these need to be separate devices at this time, mostly to cater to a host of different use/case scenarios.

Oh, and I tossed my passive crossovers, using only the VXi's internal crossover system. My amp is the VX800/8i, which allows me to send a discrete channel of power to each each tweeter and mid-range speaker. I'm also using the VXi's pass-through to feed my sub's amp, which allows me to control the DSP functionality of it, too. It's super clean and allows more flexibility when tuning.

Hope that helps!

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
if upgrading the 8.4" alpine system... is the signal pre-equalized with the alpine amp doing the equalization? if so, then is Fix86 still better solution than PAC?
Sponsored