Sponsored

Adding additional USB C?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anyone been successful in adding an additional USB C port? I would like to close the cover and just have a wire snake up to the top of the dash.

For additional clarity:

1. I would like to retain the center stack USB C.
2. This new USB C would need to work with CarPlay.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

vap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Both USB ports have identical Mini USB interface behind the cover, as you might see at 17:18 in
So, just get or build a Mini USB Female to USB C cable, plug it in place of the non-C socket, and route it where you need to.

OP
OP
Rploaded

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Both USB ports have identical Mini USB interface behind the cover, as you might see at 17:18 in
So, just get or build a Mini USB Female to USB C cable, plug it in place of the non-C socket, and route it where you need to.
Thank you very much for this insight.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Did you do it? How did it

Did you do it? How did it turn out?
I got an adapter and plugged in behind the dash. Did not work. I don't know if the block the mini usb plugs into behind the dash is providing power back to the usb port to the radio.

Sponsored

Bardog

First Name
Bardog
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bardog.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Granite
Occupation
Restaurateur
Hi, all.

Any update on this?

I would likewise like to run a CarPlay USB input to the upper dash tray area, instead of using the wireless CarPlay 2 Air module like other posters have done.

Maybe powering the USB inputs will work?

tanner

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L
I was also in the boat of wanting a clean install that didn't require me to leave the USB door open. I attempted multiple USB cables/couplers to no avail. I was left with the impression that something is happening with the OEM USB port/coupler that can't so easily be replaced by running a straight cable.

I ended up running a USB cable down through the top of the dash and routed a USB cable into the port. You can see a bit more about this in my HAM Radio install thread.

By the way, I ended up with this right angled USB cable and the USB cover can now close about 80% of the way.

If I recall, both front port USB cables are routed up to the back of the head unit. If I were to tear into my dash again, I would attempt to plug my phone in directly into the back of the head unit. For whatever reason I don't remember attempting this at the time.
Sponsored