Absurd Configurations

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
My favorite are the ones that optioned Rubicons and Saharas with the Alpine audio upgrade for $1295. Why not option the infotainment group for $200 more, and add a bigger screen, nav, and an auto dimming mirror!? Makes no damn sense...
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My favorite are the ones that optioned Rubicons and Saharas with the Alpine audio upgrade for $1295. Why not option the infotainment group for $200 more, and add a bigger screen, nav, and an auto dimming mirror!? Makes no damn sense...
Well I ordered mine like that. I like the music to sound as good as possible, but have absolutely no need or desire for the other features. It saved $200 I can put on something I can use. Maybe you should have added “to me “ on your last sentence.

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
I donno, I was one of the ones that specifically did NOT want the 'safety package' - I hate them in general (they aren't super accurate, they beep / flash a lot when people pass on multi-lane, and you have zero intent of moving into that lane in the first place). I agree they can be helpful for some - but I don't want it. I don't need the distraction, and I pay plenty of attention when driving.

also don't want the big clunky black box hanging off my tail light.

If they want to implement a safety feature to save lives - implement something that prevents a vehicle from going over 90mph. I can't think of very many reasons for a non-LEO/non-rescue person in normal driving to have to go over 80mph. So give it 10mph more and call it good.

FWIW - I'm against that too; I think driving comes with a certain amount of personal responsibility (similar to raising kids, or anything else in the world) but I do use it as an example to highlight there are much better safety features out there. At some point people should "buck up" and pay attention when driving (put down the cell phone and cheeseburger) to what's around them. But with more and more safety "features" people get a bit lazy - I mean there's a commercial out now with a guy drinking a bottle of water while his Cadillac drives itself down the highway. Stupid.

sort of like sending kids to public schools and parents expecting them to teach their children everything from social interaction to morality; if you aren't involved, no grounds for complaints.

/ramble off

so - I guess I'm one of the few that would have bought a Jeep off a lot without the Safety package - if I could have found a Rubicon with cloth seats (90% have leather), tow group and LED lights, and in Ocean Blue.

ordering is way way better.
My wife’s X5 has the proximity sensors and lane change nonsense. Can’t stand it, drives me crazy. More electronic crap to break.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I specifically wanted cold weather group and I live in FL.

I wheeled my last JKU fully naked in the middle of winter here dozens of times. Many days would start off in the 50s and end up in the 60s or 70s. Heated seats and steering wheel were a HUGE plus for me and something that I put on my list as a must have.

Plus you have to figure, in a convertible vehicle with little insulation, many central and northern Floridians will be thankful for that option from Nov-March.
I'll be ordering the cold weather group as well, and I live in Phoenix - for the same reasons you mentioned. Also, by October my wife refers to any day below 100 degrees as "winter."

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
If memory serves me right, I believe I read somewhere on here that FCA put out a memo to dealers prior to launch, suggesting a balance of certain packages in initial orders.

What was dumb (imo) was that Florida dealers followed it and ended up with cold weather packages with heated seats, steering wheel and an engine block heater. That was certainly a package I skipped when ordering my JLUR.

Things may have changed as they see what people want or are asking for, one would assume, but maybe that's giving the person doing allocation ordering too much credit.
Actually, even for warm weather regions it makes sense to order the Cold Weather package if you look further down the line towards resale value. The used car market is now a national market where cars are bought and shipped acrosscthe country. My Q7 Audi was bought on Ebay and I specifically looked atvunits with Cold weather package only due to my Connecticut living...and funny enough my Q7 came from Arizona lol. Never would have bought it if it didn’t have Cold Weather.

Sponsored

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I donno, I was one of the ones that specifically did NOT want the 'safety package' - I hate them in general (they aren't super accurate, they beep / flash a lot when people pass on multi-lane, and you have zero intent of moving into that lane in the first place). I agree they can be helpful for some - but I don't want it. I don't need the distraction, and I pay plenty of attention when driving.

also don't want the big clunky black box hanging off my tail light.

If they want to implement a safety feature to save lives - implement something that prevents a vehicle from going over 90mph. I can't think of very many reasons for a non-LEO/non-rescue person in normal driving to have to go over 80mph. So give it 10mph more and call it good.

FWIW - I'm against that too; I think driving comes with a certain amount of personal responsibility (similar to raising kids, or anything else in the world) but I do use it as an example to highlight there are much better safety features out there. At some point people should "buck up" and pay attention when driving (put down the cell phone and cheeseburger) to what's around them. But with more and more safety "features" people get a bit lazy - I mean there's a commercial out now with a guy drinking a bottle of water while his Cadillac drives itself down the highway. Stupid.

sort of like sending kids to public schools and parents expecting them to teach their children everything from social interaction to morality; if you aren't involved, no grounds for complaints.

/ramble off

so - I guess I'm one of the few that would have bought a Jeep off a lot without the Safety package - if I could have found a Rubicon with cloth seats (90% have leather), tow group and LED lights, and in Ocean Blue.

ordering is way way better.
I really like the Safety package on my Jeep. The nice thing is through the set up menus you can customize it to turn off the beeps if you don't like that feature. I have mine set to beep only if I have my turn signal on and another car is next to me. Kind of reassuring to know if someone is in my blind spot. As far as the black box hanging off my tail light, if I'm not mistaken I believe all the JL tail lights have that black box even with no blind spot monitoring.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
So true!

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Be happy most people want the Automatic. If most people wanted the Manual they would charge you 2K for a manual. Same as sports cars. Go configure a sports car and the Automatic is standard and an upcharge for the manual as most buying a true sports car want the manual.
most high end sports cars (Lamborghin,ferrari, GTR, etc.) no longer offer manual transmissions, the are all double clutch auto transmissions, Porsche still offers a 6 speed manual as standard and $3000 for its PDK double clutch tranny.....

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
most high end sports cars (Lamborghin,ferrari, GTR, etc.) no longer offer manual transmissions, the are all double clutch auto transmissions, Porsche still offers a 6 speed manual as standard and $3000 for its PDK double clutch tranny.....
Yes I did see that about the Porsche but they are not really giving a 6 speed manual at no cost it seems. Article

"For example, a base 911 Carrera has a starting price of $89,400. If you choose the PDK, the price goes up. In regards to the GT3, what Porsche is saying is the base price will not change regardless of the transmission you choose. However, given that the current MSRP of the GT3 is $144,650 already includes the cost of the PDK, if you want a stick you will have to pay that PDK premium anyway.

If Porsche was really not charging you extra for the three-pedal option, then it would do what it does on all other manual 911s: the base price of the next GT3 would be reduced by $3,250 for the manual and held at the same $144,650 for the PDK."

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Asked if I could order a Rubicon without their add on options. I was told no under any circumstances.
The dealer didn't let you order a Jeep with your own specs? Never heard of that before, were they a legit FCA dealership?

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The dealer didn't let you order a Jeep with your own specs? Never heard of that before, were they a legit FCA dealership?
He was talking about the dealer add on options, not the FCA options for a Jeep. Some dealers have add on options that they add to every vehicle whether you like it or not and charge you for it.

For example, a "security feature" where they stamp and sticker numbers onto your doors. This is so that if they are stolen it can be identified if it went to a chop shop and was sold. Same as when they used to etch numbers into peoples windows.

It should be illegal for a dealer to do this IMO.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
He was talking about the dealer add on options, not the FCA options for a Jeep. Some dealers have add on options that they add to every vehicle whether you like it or not and charge you for it.

For example, a "security feature" where they stamp and sticker numbers onto your doors. This is so that if they are stolen it can be identified if it went to a chop shop and was sold. Same as when they used to etch numbers into peoples windows.

It should be illegal for a dealer to do this IMO.
I've purchased several new cars through out the years and never heard of this before. Maybe there are laws against this up here in CT? Or maybe the dealerships I've gone to weren't as shady.

Juandagis

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Rubicon 47k$ but they have a markup everything but no HID’s.

3BD75E82-92AC-4997-90F6-E59B5909F088.jpeg

OP
OP

jeepskate

First Name
L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Speed 6
maybe you should look into buying a honda then lol no real jeeper gives a rats ass about proximity sensors lmao what else did you bitch about ... no air conditioned cup holders lmao what a tool
If you don't mind, if/when I place an order, I'd like to run it by you first. I want it to be configured like a real jeeper would. I've already taken proximity entry off my list, but I'll want you to okay everything else too. Thanks!

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
If you don't mind, if/when I place an order, I'd like to run it by you first. I want it to be configured like a real jeeper would. I've already taken proximity entry off my list, but I'll want you to okay everything else too. Thanks!
Lol - I detect a hint of sarcasm! Just a tiny bit. I was just waiting for the hard-core guys to chime in and give you a hard time.

Its tough, Wrangler has always been a no-frills capability brand and some folks see proximity sensors as a luxury item.

I agree that if you are hitting the “pay-line” by getting a Rubicon, I think Jeep should throw in all the bells and whistles.
Sponsored