Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the exact same problems. We were taking an easy trail in Big Bear, CA at about 6000 feet and 76F outside. The drive up there was about an hour and then we drove about 6 miles of dirt. The whole time we had the AC temperature setting on 'LO'. Gradually we noticed the air speed coming out of the vent dropping down to a trickle although the air was still slightly cold like it seemed the ac was still working but the airflow had dropped off. We pulled over and did some checks for about 30mins, got back in the jeep and it was blowing much better but still not back to normal. We drove another 20 miles and the AC air flow dropped down to a trickle again. We then stopped and had lunch and didn't get back into the jeep for about two hours. When we started her again the AC was blowing hard and cold like normal. We left it on auto this time and drove 90 mins home with the AC blowing normally the whole time.

The idea of the AC freezing over seems plausible to me. Any ideas from folks? Is there a fix for it?
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ive had issues with other vehicles not cooling well, after running a while, then when shut off, 15+ minutes it works fine for 15-30 minutes. I found out that the systems were getting low on Freon, and the lines would ice up. I've even had cars blow chunks of ice out of vents when low on Freon. Just for fun, check the Freon level.

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My Jeeps AC starting acting funny 2 weekends ago on a trip to Miami, where it seemed the AC would slow to a trickle for about 2 mins then come back to normal. Obviously in the Florida heat you can notice even a 1 degree change, lol. Happened twice once there and once on the way back. Mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in for my steering fix TSB, and while they had it they checked it and said there was a software update needed for it, so they did. Remains to be seen if that helps but you may want to check that with your dealers.

RolinJl

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JK, and the renegade for the wife.
Were dragging this thread now, but its the only one I found with the exact symptoms my JL has. This first happened in October of 20'. The ac gradually went to little to no air blowing. I was 30 minutes into a 4 hour drive. I tried to trouble shoot without luck. The next day the ac worked flawless. Fast forward to January 21' and I had another episode. One thing not mentioned is that I did try was switching to the heater still little to no air blowing. On a side note, my ESS has not been working for a while now so I am going to try changing the aux battery and hope that fixes it. I am driving from Texas to Colorado soon and hope my heater doesn't go out in the mountains.

RolinJl

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were dragging this thread now, but its the only one I found with the exact symptoms my JL has. This first happened in October of 20'. The ac gradually went to little to no air blowing. I was 30 minutes into a 4 hour drive. I tried to trouble shoot without luck. The next day the ac worked flawless. Fast forward to January 21' and I had another episode. One thing not mentioned is that I did try was switching to the heater still little to no air blowing. On a side note, my ESS has not been working for a while now so I am going to try changing the aux battery and hope that fixes it. I am driving from Texas to Colorado soon and hope my heater doesn't go out in the mountains.
By the way, on the initial event I was about 36k miles, this time I am about 45k. I'm trying to avoid the deer for now.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is this concern still present, RolinJl? If so, we do suggest visiting the dealer but if you would like to discuss further, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

RolinJl

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this concern still present, RolinJl? If so, we do suggest visiting the dealer but if you would like to discuss further, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate,

The AC and heater are both working as expected right now. It seems to be hit or miss. My warranty is up and not sure I can afford the dealer price tag and time right now if the problem does not occur when it is inspected. I'm kind of cornered though as I know it will have to be the dealer that will have to evaluate it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kate,

The AC and heater are both working as expected right now. It seems to be hit or miss. My warranty is up and not sure I can afford the dealer price tag and time right now if the problem does not occur when it is inspected. I'm kind of cornered though as I know it will have to be the dealer that will have to evaluate it.
I am happy to hear there are no concerns present at this time, RolinJl. It is true, the dealer will have to assess the concern as they happen to best pinpoint the cause, I do apologize. That said, if you run into any future problems, we're a private message away.

Kate
Jeep Cares

RolinJl

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am happy to hear there are no concerns present at this time, RolinJl. It is true, the dealer will have to assess the concern as they happen to best pinpoint the cause, I do apologize. That said, if you run into any future problems, we're a private message away.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Update: I did take the jeep in to the dealer for eval. Since the Hvac system was working as expected, it was not addressed. I was told both my aux and main battery were bad. My main battery had already been changed once. I opted to have the dealer change only the aux battery and I changed the main battery. Total cost for the aux battery swap minus a 10%discount was $425.14
I'll be pulling my fender off the next time I suspect a bad aux battery.

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I just had this same issue happen to me in my gladiator from a cross country road trip.
i suspect it may be frozen, but want to know if anyone found a permanent fix for it

Sponsored

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the exact same problems. We were taking an easy trail in Big Bear, CA at about 6000 feet and 76F outside. The drive up there was about an hour and then we drove about 6 miles of dirt. The whole time we had the AC temperature setting on 'LO'. Gradually we noticed the air speed coming out of the vent dropping down to a trickle although the air was still slightly cold like it seemed the ac was still working but the airflow had dropped off. We pulled over and did some checks for about 30mins, got back in the jeep and it was blowing much better but still not back to normal. We drove another 20 miles and the AC air flow dropped down to a trickle again. We then stopped and had lunch and didn't get back into the jeep for about two hours. When we started her again the AC was blowing hard and cold like normal. We left it on auto this time and drove 90 mins home with the AC blowing normally the whole time.

The idea of the AC freezing over seems plausible to me. Any ideas from folks? Is there a fix for it?
Had the exact same issue again last weekend going to the same location up in the mountains. The AC was still blowing cool but the fan speed was only about 50% of what it normally does. We ended up driving with the windows down.

RolinJl mentioned bad batteries in his thread. My batteries are about a year old and both good. I replaced the OEM with a genesis offroad system. I would rule out battery issues at least from my end. Freezing up as camodog suspects is high on my list as the culprit. Once we got to our destination we let the jeep sit for a while and once we started her up the fan speed was back to normal and we had nice cold air. It's annoying not knowing what the culprit is.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My bud had a problem with his air in his JLUR. He took it to the dealership for them to check it out. Come to find out he had never changed his cabin filter. The cabin filter weighed about 2 pounds and was completely choked full of dirt. They replaced the filter and all was well.

If you drive in a lot of dust, remember to change the cabin filter.
Sponsored