First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Occupation
Student at University of Utah
My install experience (ACE Experdition Stubby) was probably 4 hours - a lot of that was taking off the factory (plastic) bumper and recovering the fogs/harness. It wasn't tough, but i did need to make a stop at the local hardware store to invest in some new tools (totally worth it). I would say that it's an easy job, but it gets tedious, and requires some brute force (or ingenuity) to get the new bumper raised into place and bolted on. I would not pay the $500 to have a shop do it. That's money that could go toward the winch (or lift, tires, wheels, road trip to moab, or maybe groceries).

I think it's also a great way to start to figure out the mechanical side of your jeep and gradually increase your confidence in maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. All of which increases your budget for new toys!
Completely Agree... just grabbed tools needed at home depot and going to tackle this by the end of the week!
Sponsored

OP
OP
elispaulding

elispaulding

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Probably 2 hours work if you need to split the front bumper to get the fogs out of it.

What tools are you missing? Really don't need much for a bumper install. Can do it without power tools even.
I am off at college so don't have anything with me. Just grabbed everything I need at home depot and will tackle it this week

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
Completely Agree... just grabbed tools needed at home depot and going to tackle this by the end of the week!
As a follow-up - check out youtube. there are all kinds of videos that I find helpful to visualize what I am looking for. I don't consider myself a mechanical 'gear-head', so I don't always know what folks are referring to on the forum (especially when it gets into electrical), but seeing pics or video is really helpful to keep it all straight.

OP
OP
elispaulding

elispaulding

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As a follow-up - check out youtube. there are all kinds of videos that I find helpful to visualize what I am looking for. I don't consider myself a mechanical 'gear-head', so I don't always know what folks are referring to on the forum (especially when it gets into electrical), but seeing pics or video is really helpful to keep it all straight.
Awesome will do, thanks for the advice. Will put a picture of the finished product in here when it is done.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Super easy, you might need some larger drill bits. Mine required the bumper mounts to opened up a little.

Jeep Wrangler JL $500 to install bumper??? 2319D23C-9A98-4246-8A15-859DD25AA0F8

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Looks like everyone in here loves tools as much as I do.

It’s a complete rip off.

Do some research on YouTube and you’ll probably find an install video for your exact bumper. Buy the tools and DIY like everyone else said

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like you’ve decided to do it yourself! Great decision. Now you can put away your rape whistle.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I just purchased a fab four bumper for my JL. I’m missing a couple of the tools to put it on and reached out to a shop for a quote. They said it was going to take them 4 hours and wanted over $500 to install it. Does this sound right or way too high? It is a bolt on bumper and I thought they were pretty quick and simple to get on. Thanks!
$50 of tools from Harbor Freight / Amazon and you can do this easily yourself.

OP
OP
elispaulding

elispaulding

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
nope just a college student with no tools here lol
ok then... changes my attitude. Best thing you can do is find a local jeep group. After that, buy yourself some CHEAP ASS tools. Check FB marketplace. People always selling stuff cheap. I was a broke ass college kid when I got my first CJ. I learned a shit ton working on it buy myself and then with people from the local jeep group. Best thing you can do at a young age is teach yourself. Skills you will carry with you forever.

OP
OP
elispaulding

elispaulding

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ok then... changes my attitude. Best thing you can do is find a local jeep group. After that, buy yourself some CHEAP ASS tools. Check FB marketplace. People always selling stuff cheap. I was a broke ass college kid when I got my first CJ. I learned a shit ton working on it buy myself and then with people from the local jeep group. Best thing you can do at a young age is teach yourself. Skills you will carry with you forever.
couldn't agree more. Went to home depot a little bit ago and grabbed everything I needed. Will post a pic on here of the finished product in the next couple days.
Sponsored