Sponsored

4xe tuning?

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Rubicon 392, ā€˜20 Gladiator
Is there any companies out there working on tuning for the 4xe? I can see Stellantis pushing the 4xe with a few 392s being available (at a premium) in the coming years with other engine options being discontinued (due to CAFE requirements and Stellantis reputation). I also see a lot of people commenting on how they are buying the 4xe for the power due to the advertised 375hp & 470 lb-ft of torque, yet every available review video I see of someone reviewing the 4xe shows that when it goes WOT there is an awful lag. It seems that when the 4xe goes WOT nothing happens for several seconds and then it will finally start to pull hard. It seems like there is the potential to tune the 4xe to have the 2.0 running all the time (and run more responsive) with the EV portion helping to get more power quickly when you hit the throttle. I could see that version of the 4xe having the potential to be a real monster.
Sponsored

OP
OP

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ll add to this a little, can anyone explain why with all those different ā€œmodesā€ the 4xe has they donā€™t offer a ā€œperformanceā€ mode? Would that some how ding the EPA MPG numbers? It seems you could have your eco modes or whatever, but then have a performance mode where the engines act as I describe above.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Is there any companies out there working on tuning for the 4xe? I can see Stellantis pushing the 4xe with a few 392s being available (at a premium) in the coming years with other engine options being discontinued (due to CAFE requirements and Stellantis reputation). I also see a lot of people commenting on how they are buying the 4xe for the power due to the advertised 375hp & 470 lb-ft of torque, yet every available review video I see of someone reviewing the 4xe shows that when it goes WOT there is an awful lag. It seems that when the 4xe goes WOT nothing happens for several seconds and then it will finally start to pull hard. It seems like there is the potential to tune the 4xe to have the 2.0 running all the time (and run more responsive) with the EV portion helping to get more power quickly when you hit the throttle. I could see that version of the 4xe having the potential to be a real monster.
I agree that was the monster I thought I was ordering but after I placed my order then all the reviews came in and became clear it's almost like two different drive modes and that you only get half the horses and torque most of the time

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
If you are looking to race it, then get the 392. The torque I want is there when I want it which is towing and highway passing/getting on the highway. Does the motor not stay on in e-save mode? The "turbo" lag, as I call it, is the motor coming on and then it has to hit its torque curve to get full power.

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
The best I can describe the acceleration of my 4xe is it is like an express elevator in a skyscraper. You donā€™t really feel it when you push the up button to the 100th floor, you are just suddenly there and are likeā€¦.already?

That having been said, you really notice the acceleration passing a car from cruising at say 45mph. You are at 70mph in what seems like the blink of an eye.
So, not a dragster, but it has practical real world performance.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Give it time and you will see electric hybrid turbo's further down market. Right now I think its just ze Germanz that use them in production cars.

OP
OP

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

looks like e-save charge is the ā€œperformanceā€ mode I was looking for. Keeps the engine running and combines full ICE & EV Power, 0-60 in 5.52, I was actually impressed.

Now, is there any reason Dana 60 axles wouldnā€™t work with the 4XE?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
If you are in 4H auto, have stability control off, and have the engine already running it will eliminate that lag. Easy enough to do.

I've tried it myself. For some reason it feels stupid fast. Like it shouldn't be able to do that. You can barely hear the engine too.

There was a time when a sub 6 second car was considered fast.

I'd guess if a 93 octane tune was applied we'd get some gains. But the software on the 4xe is so complex.

OP
OP

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are in 4H auto, have stability control off, and have the engine already running it will eliminate that lag. Easy enough to do.

I've tried it myself. For some reason it feels stupid fast. Like it shouldn't be able to do that. You can barely hear the engine too.

I'd guess if a 93 octane tune was applied we'd get some gains. But the software on the 4xe is so complex.
So if you have it in e-save ā€œchargeā€, will the engine shut off at all? In the video the engine was running from the beginning, but does it run full time with the electric power only kicking in when needed for the extra power?

ATwig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
In E-Save (Battery Level) mode the engine will cut on and off every now and then to maintain the level it was at when you hit the button IE: 50% charged. Usually it's only when coasting or when you're fully stopped like at a light. As soon as you hit the accelerator it will start up and kick in when its ready but your electric engine will start moving you instantly.

In E-Save (Charge) mode the engine will be on continuously if your battery is not at 100%. However at a full stop you will be still running your engine like you're doing 55/60mph in order to charge your battery. This is not very efficient.

My dealer told me for my 4xe Rubi if I wanted maximum torque through the low bit of the curve when crawling / offroad that putting it in E-Save (Battery Level) AND switching to the transmission "manual select" would be the way to go.

From my experience In Hybrid mode you'll basically run your battery to <1% charge first then you'll go true hybrid, but your engine will kick on sooner if you accelerate hard vs if it was in Electric mode. The Engine will kick on in Electric only mode if you floor it but you gotta really push it or in a situation where it needs the extra kick (Starting from a full stop going up a steep hill).

Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Any faster discharge of the batteries is likely to come with a penalty of reducing the life of the electric bits and the batteries.

This is why Tesla will limit certain models on the number of hard pulls they can perform. Same thing with high rate charging, although the 4xe doesn't have this limitation because it can only utilize specific charging rates.

Ultimately, performance boosts will need to come from burning more gasoline, likely through turbo adjustments.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65

Yeah, electric motors have turned 0-60 times on their heads. There was a time when only 6 figure cars could break 6 seconds. Now you can get a Volvo XC40 that breaks 4.7 seconds. A Volvo.

I did a couple hard pulls when our Wrangler arrived at the dealer, before I picked it up. A Wrangler simply shouldn't be that fast. But I'm glad it is!

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
I am satisfied with my 4xe acceleration. Coming off the 4runner I see big and positive difference in how quick it is. I guess it comes down to what you want your Jeep to do and my will never be 911. But it will take me on adventures 911 never would

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I am satisfied with my 4xe acceleration. Coming off the 4runner I see big and positive difference in how quick it is. I guess it comes down to what you want your Jeep to do and my will never be 911. But it will take me on adventures 911 never would
I had a Mustang GT I traded in, which was faster (and had better long haul MPG). But it also felt like it was working harder to get that acceleration. That and everyone within a few miles radius could hear I was flooring it.

The few times I've got on the 4xe throttle off a red light, it's almost been comical. And all I hear is the wind and tires.