Sponsored

4xe owners - love it / hate it?

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Love it. Daily work commute without gas, but can still use gas for long trips so can avoid long recharge waits, great power/acceleration when needed, sits higher than the non-PHEV Rubi without having to lift it, and it's every bit a Wrangler.
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The clearance for both Rubicon and Rubicon 4xe is the same though - 10.8".
Yes, the clearance is the same because they both have the same wheels/ tires and thus the same distance under the pumpkin, but the body/frame sits higher but about 1".

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
Yes, the clearance is the same because they both have the same wheels/ tires and thus the same distance under the pumpkin, but the body/frame sits higher but about 1".
This is the earnest question (and I'm a newbie): so what's the advantage of this extra 1"? It doesn't seem like 4xe can accommodate a larger tire than the regular Rubicon. Isn't it just slightly worse from aerodynamics point of view? Am I missing something?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Curious as to whether your going to get Rubi wheel/tire setup or stay with the 20’s that come with the Sahara 4xe…I still can’t decide which way to go…love the 20” wheels but the tires are useless in the sand and I plan on taking it to the beach
I drove through a good quarter mile stretch of sugar sand that was up to my skid plates at times. I had almost no steering and just went with the ruts. I didn't have a chance to get into 4L which would have helped. I had to stop for a bit to let the transmission cool.

I got through just fine and was impressed a stock 4xe handled it. Although I don't want to drive anything that deep again with a pure stock setup. I think it's a miracle I didn't need an extraction.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
This is the earnest question (and I'm a newbie): so what's the advantage of this extra 1"? It doesn't seem like 4xe can accommodate a larger tire than the regular Rubicon. Isn't it just slightly worse from aerodynamics point of view? Am I missing something?
I'm not entirely sure if it's because of extra skid plates, suspension adjusted for more weight or a combination.

Jeep didn't want any off-road specs compromised, so I was guessing it was to maintain clearance.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe it can accept a slightly larger tire without lift kit than a regular Rubi because of the increased clearance between the fenders. However, I have no plans to do so until my stock tires wear out. I just like the higher stance from a visual standpoint.

Snazzy4xe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sahara 4xe
I drove through a good quarter mile stretch of sugar sand that was up to my skid plates at times. I had almost no steering and just went with the ruts. I didn't have a chance to get into 4L which would have helped. I had to stop for a bit to let the transmission cool.

I got through just fine and was impressed a stock 4xe handled it. Although I don't want to drive anything that deep again with a pure stock setup. I think it's a miracle I didn't need an extraction.
Did you air down at all?

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I test drove a 4Xe this week. But I’m told I test drove it wrong.

We leave the dealer lot. The salesman tells me to floor it, that’s when all hell breaks loose: at this point the 2.0T is offline and cold; it has to be woken up in a hurry. Meanwhile the Jeep hesitates, doesn’t know what to do. When the 2.0T finally kicks in, it howls like a cat in heat. I am not impressed.
But I’m told I test drove it wrong.
Yeah, I saw that train wreck on the other thread.

This makes me chuckle. Your experience is *your* experience man. The folks raining on you are of two types:

1. Already bought 4xe and happy with it. If you're not (no matter how or why) obviously that's a "you" problem.

2. Thinking about buying 4xe and *want* to like it. Afraid they'll have the same experience, and won't like it as a result. So they are trying to figure out a way to minimize the chance of that happening.

Drive whatcha like and what makes you smile.

My next vehicle is *probably* a 4xe, but might just be a JLU Rubi with 6cyl and 6 speed stick.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I test drove a 4Xe this week. But I’m told I test drove it wrong.

We walk around the Jeep. I ask for a test drive. The Jeep is in hybrid mode; I hit the start button. It is eerily quiet!

We leave the dealer lot. The salesman tells me to floor it, that’s when all hell breaks loose: at this point the 2.0T is offline and cold; it has to be woken up in a hurry. Meanwhile the Jeep hesitates, doesn’t know what to do. When the 2.0T finally kicks in, it howls like a cat in heat. I am not impressed.

The batteries are underneath the rear seat; the seat ends up 2 inches higher, reducing rear headroom by quite a bit. You get a theatre-like seating, with the rear passengers peering over your shoulder and their heads near the roll cage.

But to me the biggest issue is that I lose the ability to sleep inside the Jeep. There’s a 6-inch tall hump between the cargo floor and the rear seats that renders it useless for sleeping.

On paper 4Xe makes perfect sense; I rarely go more than 10 miles during the work week. And the $7,500 tax credit is icing on the cake. But the final product execution offers key compromises.

I was bummed.
Forum member has already built a custom platform for the back of the 4xe and included the plans here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-rear-platform-build.73600/

Also, no one said you test drove the Jeep wrong, you complained about the lag between flooring the 4xe and the ICE starting up. I said the salesperson was an idiot and we told you why that happens (being in Hybrid mode) and how to get around it by having the ICE start up before you take off (in eSave mode or manual shifting). That isn't just for your benefit, but if someone else is reading this before they take one for a test drive, now they know how to "force" the ICE on and eliminate that delay as well so maybe it helps someone else if they find themselves in that same situation.

Not sure why you took that as a personal failing/attack toward you, but sorry man, wasn't meant that way. Just passing on some knowledge.

Sponsored

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
I'd have considered one, but where I live I practically have to beg an electrician to even come out, and then they want to charge $2K to install a generator interlock kit in my panel. I can't even imagine what they'd want to put in a charger.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Forum member has already built a custom platform for the back of the 4xe and included the plans here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4xe-rear-platform-build.73600/

Also, no one said you test drove the Jeep wrong, you complained about the lag between flooring the 4xe and the ICE starting up. I said the salesperson was an idiot and we told you why that happens (being in Hybrid mode) and how to get around it by having the ICE start up before you take off (in eSave mode or manual shifting). That isn't just for your benefit, but if someone else is reading this before they take one for a test drive, now they know how to "force" the ICE on and eliminate that delay as well so maybe it helps someone else if they find themselves in that same situation.

Not sure why you took that as a personal failing/attack toward you, but sorry man, wasn't meant that way. Just passing on some knowledge.
No worries. I didn’t take it personally. I was being facetious.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'd have considered one, but where I live I practically have to beg an electrician to even come out, and then they want to charge $2K to install a generator interlock kit in my panel. I can't even imagine what they'd want to put in a charger.
It's not much different than running a extra 220 outlet. Cost depends on if you have capacity in your current fuse box and how long the run is. Installing a charger is pretty reasonable if you have the capacity in your current fuse box and the run is a reasonable distance. Like if the fuse box is behind the garage wall. About few hundred bucks plus the charger in Chicago if the box is close to the garage. Chicago requires metal pipe too where many parts of the country allow the use of BX or Romex which should be easier and cheaper to run. It can add up if you need to add capacity to your current box and have a long run. And can't do a surface mount.. You would need to calculate drywall cost.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Likes after 1800 miles:

- Love how quiet it is… like my own personal stealth fighter when I want it to be

- Love hitting my errands around town and having a good portion of my commute handled in EV mode

- Love the $7500 credit to offset some of the purchase or modification costs as well as the credit for installing a level 2 charger (which not a lot of people talk about)

- Love the stability and balance due to the location of the battery pack

- Love having the only one in my area

- Love that it is still 100% Jeep

- Love the color scheme (the blue trim on the Granite Crystal is just sexy)

Dislikes:

- Would like some additional range from the batteries but knew what I was getting into and am just a greedy bastard

- Not a fan of the location of the drive mode buttons

- Not a fan of the info format through the screens - almost too much data to comprehend… not real user friendly

- Not a fan of the charge status light location but not really sure where else to put them

- Don’t like the overall vehicle weight as I’m real self conscious on adding additional weight through mods but not sure how to fix that either

Overall though this thing has by far exceeded my expectations. Had to really try to come up with dislikes that mattered. The ones listed are really minor in the grand scheme of things.
Sponsored

Last edited: