4xe owners - love it / hate it?

rubited19

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL
4xe owners ....what do you love or hate about the 4xe?
Sponsored

Shawn_B

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Only picked it up last week coming from a JK Sahara. Got the Rubicon 4xe in Nacho Orange. Fun side note, I was at CES in January 2020 and took the picture below. I've been waiting over a year to be a 4xe owner since seeing it in person that day.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe owners - love it / hate it? CleanShot 2021-05-03 at 10.53.16

What I like:
- Full electric drive feels like the future. I've never owned an EV but I'm a fan of the quiet operation and the instant torque. I'm not saying I don't love the sound of a good V8 (I have a Charger with the 392) but for the non-enthusiast can see electric being widely adopted. I thought about the 392 Jeep but this being the wife's car she doesn't appreciate the way that sounds like I do.
- The way the Hybrid system feels so integrated from a software perspective. It may seem like they just stuck a plug on the side of a normal Jeep but it's way more than that.
- Other than the powertrain it's fully a Jeep with no compromises on the capability and the "experience"
- Not specifically a 4xe thing but the JL is a huge upgrade over my previous Jeep.

What I don't like:
- Range. I know it's a 1.0 product and I was fully aware of the range limitations when buying. This Jeep will be used for a 14 mile daily round trip commute so it's possible to run it fully electric for commuting. I think I will want to invest in a level 2 charger though because overnight only works if we stop using it by around 6pm. My hope is that the battery and efficiency tech improves and we see 40-50 miles in future models.
- This will be an unpopular one but it sometimes feels too quiet in full electric mode. I've heard of Gen-1 Tesla owners who had a bike bell to warn pedestrians or animals that they were there. Might be necessary in my neighborhood...
- Another minor and understandable thing is that the back seats do not fold flat. I 100% knew this going in too but I actually used my JK to move kids in and out of college a few times and I wonder if that little bit of lost capacity will be annoying.

Here's my advice on the 4xe: It's a Jeep first and foremost. You have all the benefits of a gas-powered model with some compelling extras - If you fit a very specific scenario. If you are going to use it to drive more than 20 miles per trip this is might not be the Jeep for you. I can see some other interesting use cases as well for instance if you off-road a lot you may just want to use the battery for that and drive on the hybrid/engine the rest.

Really just look at how you're going to use it and decide if the very real limitations of the Hybrid system are going to be a problem for you.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe owners - love it / hate it? CleanShot 2021-05-03 at 11.20.00

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Great write-up. Thanks! Question for you... Is the Nacho orange really that light (almost yellowish)? Or could it also be a product of the time of day you took the picture? (Kinda looks like you maybe took the photo at dusk.) First time seeing it and it looks like a big departure from the Punk'n Orange in previous years!

Edit for clarity: Either way, looks great and thank you for sharing your stories. :)

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Having driven it for two days and 100 miles, it will take some getting used to from a Regen standpoint.

Will say I love having the Mopar 2" lift and 35s as it's not super high but just good enough.

Love the blue trim.

Love how quiet it is when I want it to be quiet yet can be noisy when I want it to be

Will have to get a level 2 charger because after two nights I'm already getting sick of the level 1 charger. Needs 14 hours so you have to plug it in early or else you don't get a full charge.

Most of the stuff I love are just regular JLUR stuff like the lift, the view, the sky one touch, the front camera, etc.

But definitely do love the hybrid as I definitely will be saving about 300 a month in just gas

20210526_155946.jpg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I hate it because it's not available on a 2-door! Other then that it's pretty cool!

Sponsored

JeepJeepster

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Great write-up. Thanks! Question for you... Is the Nacho orange really that light (almost yellowish)? Or could it also be a product of the time of day you took the picture? (Kinda looks like you maybe took the photo at dusk.) First time seeing it and it looks like a big departure from the Punk'n Orange in previous years!

Edit for clarity: Either way, looks great and thank you for sharing your stories. :)
Yes the picture is correct. We pulled up next to a school bus and the color was almost identical!

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Nice write up. You're also one of the only people I've seen who are primarily focused on the range of the vehicle on the batteries. That's not a knock on you, by the way, just an observation.

The expectation on my end isn't that I'll get most of my miles on battery alone (though I very well may as I work from home so most of my normal driving is just around town), but that I wanted to have the power on demand of the combined electric and ICE motors. The ability to tool around town on batteries is more of a novelty for me really.

As for the lack of sound, you should be able to hear the required pedestrian warning noise when you're under 20 mph.

I was supposed to take mine out through some trails in Ocala last weekend but I ended up out at the river instead. Hoping to get some time in this weekend to play around in the woods though, so no actual off-roading yet.

I absolutely love the power delivery. If you get on it, from a stand still, or when passing someone (for example), there is more than enough power available immediately for the task at hand. It is by far the smoothest handling Jeep I've ever driven on the highway. I'm sure that will change a little once I get these stock Sahara tires off of her, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it!

I picked up a level 2 charger (Grizzl-e). I was planning on setting up a new sub panel and running it directly off that, but I think for now I might just split it off the dryer outlet, save myself some hassle.

So far, my only complaints are minor. I don't like that I have to set max regen mode each time I get in (if I want it in that mode). I dislike the responsiveness between the Jeep and the app. Also the backup lights are abysmal, I'll be addressing that soon though.

Dealer complaint... they installed the all weather floor mats without removing the drain plugs and relocating them to their new home in the mats. They also inflated the tires to a ridiculous 45 psi for some reason.

Side note, that did give me a chance to try out the tire inflation warning system which is pretty cool. Set it for the desired pressure, then fill/release the air in the tires and the Jeep honks once you hit the target. Worked great!

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Nice write up. You're also one of the only people I've seen who are primarily focused on the range of the vehicle on the batteries. That's not a knock on you, by the way, just an observation.

The expectation on my end isn't that I'll get most of my miles on battery alone (though I very well may as I work from home so most of my normal driving is just around town), but that I wanted to have the power on demand of the combined electric and ICE motors. The ability to tool around town on batteries is more of a novelty for me really.

As for the lack of sound, you should be able to hear the required pedestrian warning noise when you're under 20 mph.

I was supposed to take mine out through some trails in Ocala last weekend but I ended up out at the river instead. Hoping to get some time in this weekend to play around in the woods though, so no actual off-roading yet.

I absolutely love the power delivery. If you get on it, from a stand still, or when passing someone (for example), there is more than enough power available immediately for the task at hand. It is by far the smoothest handling Jeep I've ever driven on the highway. I'm sure that will change a little once I get these stock Sahara tires off of her, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it!

I picked up a level 2 charger (Grizzl-e). I was planning on setting up a new sub panel and running it directly off that, but I think for now I might just split it off the dryer outlet, save myself some hassle.

So far, my only complaints are minor. I don't like that I have to set max regen mode each time I get in (if I want it in that mode). I dislike the responsiveness between the Jeep and the app. Also the backup lights are abysmal, I'll be addressing that soon though.

Dealer complaint... they installed the all weather floor mats without removing the drain plugs and relocating them to their new home in the mats. They also inflated the tires to a ridiculous 45 psi for some reason.

Side note, that did give me a chance to try out the tire inflation warning system which is pretty cool. Set it for the desired pressure, then fill/release the air in the tires and the Jeep honks once you hit the target. Worked great!
Ola! Iā€™m just down the road in Leesburg. I would say we should hit the trails soon, but I just sold my ā€˜18 Sport S & am going to order a 4xe later this year. Did you go through Phillips? Did you test drive one before purchase?
Glad to hear you like it!

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Ola! Iā€™m just down the road in Leesburg. I would say we should hit the trails soon, but I just sold my ā€˜18 Sport S & am going to order a 4xe later this year. Did you go through Phillips? Did you test drive one before purchase?
Glad to hear you like it!
I went through Napleton after spending some time talking to one of the sales guys there before they got the 4xe into the dealer. He called me the night it came in (even though he wasn't at work) and I came in the next morning to check it out, test drive it etc. and ended up buying it.

Snazzy4xe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sahara 4xe

Curious as to whether your going to get Rubi wheel/tire setup or stay with the 20ā€™s that come with the Sahara 4xeā€¦I still canā€™t decide which way to goā€¦love the 20ā€ wheels but the tires are useless in the sand and I plan on taking it to the beach

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Curious as to whether your going to get Rubi wheel/tire setup or stay with the 20ā€™s that come with the Sahara 4xeā€¦I still canā€™t decide which way to goā€¦love the 20ā€ wheels but the tires are useless in the sand and I plan on taking it to the beach
I drove it in the sugar sand here in FL just fine with the stock wheels. I go back and forth between keeping the stock 20's and wrapping them with some 33's, or getting some Rubi take offs. I'll probably end up going with the Rubi take offs when I find a good deal on them down the road, but I'm not in a hurry.

FLJeep1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
My Rubi 4xe has been amazing for 4,000 miles. No issues.

You charge every night and get 25 miles of EV. You take 17.2 gallons and stretch it out over 400+ miles. I average 27 mpg this way.

On the highway I get 23 mpg averaging 55-75 mph. I take a 250 mile trip to my lake house. Various highway speeds. About 19 mpg at 75 steady mph.

The ac is great. I live in FL. The Rubi handles very well with battery pack under back seat. It loses that top heavy feel.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a 4Xe this week. But Iā€™m told I test drove it wrong.

We walk around the Jeep. I ask for a test drive. The Jeep is in hybrid mode; I hit the start button. It is eerily quiet!

We leave the dealer lot. The salesman tells me to floor it, thatā€™s when all hell breaks loose: at this point the 2.0T is offline and cold; it has to be woken up in a hurry. Meanwhile the Jeep hesitates, doesnā€™t know what to do. When the 2.0T finally kicks in, it howls like a cat in heat. I am not impressed.

The batteries are underneath the rear seat; the seat ends up 2 inches higher, reducing rear headroom by quite a bit. You get a theatre-like seating, with the rear passengers peering over your shoulder and their heads near the roll cage.

But to me the biggest issue is that I lose the ability to sleep inside the Jeep. Thereā€™s a 6-inch tall hump between the cargo floor and the rear seats that renders it useless for sleeping.

On paper 4Xe makes perfect sense; I rarely go more than 10 miles during the work week. And the $7,500 tax credit is icing on the cake. But the final product execution offers key compromises.

I was bummed.

Last edited:

Snazzy4xe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sahara 4xe
I test drove a 4Xe this week. But Iā€™m told I test drove it wrong.

We walk around the Jeep. I ask for a test drive. The Jeep is in hybrid mode; I hit the start button. It is eerily quiet!

We leave the dealer lot. The salesman tells me to floor it, thatā€™s when all hell breaks loose: at this point the 2.0T is offline and cold; it has to be woken up in a hurry. Meanwhile the Jeep hesitates, doesnā€™t know what to do. When the 2.0T finally kicks in, it howls like a cat in heat. I am not impressed.

The batteries are underneath the rear seat; the seat ends up 2 inches higher, reducing rear headroom by quite a bit. You get a theatre-like seating, with the rear passengers peering over your shoulder and their heads near the roll cage.

But to me the biggest issue is that I lose the ability to sleep inside the Jeep. Thereā€™s a 6-inch tall hump between the cargo floor and the rear seats that renders it useless for sleeping.

On paper 4Xe makes perfect sense; I rarely go more than 10 miles during the work week. And the $7,500 tax credit is icing on the cake. But the final product execution offers key compromises.

I was bummed.
Just out of curiosity,how often do you sleep in your Jeepā€¦Iā€™m just asking because Iā€™ve never done it and probably never willā€¦if thatā€™s your biggest deal breaker,than why not just build up trunk with blankets and such to lay flat

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity,how often do you sleep in your Jeepā€¦Iā€™m just asking because Iā€™ve never done it and probably never willā€¦if thatā€™s your biggest deal breaker,than why not just build up trunk with blankets and such to lay flat
Whenever I take the Jeep camping: 5-6 times every summer.
Sponsored