Sponsored

4H auto... on a Rubicon

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm thinking wrong knob from the factory or possible a prank on us from the OP ;) I'll be interested in hearing the outcome though.
I still don't understand why I said look for CV's early in the thread and I'm not seeing a response. You can virtually see in the inner C's from standing in front of the vehicle at a distance - don't even have to bend a knee.

What am I missing? Instead we get detailed shots of the t-case which would have required crawling around on one's back while the biggest, most obvious telltale is apparently ignored..
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I bet the Ford Bronco has 4auto :) you do not want clutch packs in your transfer case.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch-actuated Selec-Trac has been offered on Jeep Liberty for years. To my knowledge it's been a sturdy system.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.transmissiondigest.com/snow-plowing-bw-44-44-transfer-case-failures/

It was proven many times in this thread: http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=40753 that the 44-44 does not lock in 4Low or any other mode. The clutch engages when you give it throttle and the rear wheels spin a few times. Then when the throttle is released and the engine returns to idle, the clutch releases.

Here's a video of another members truck showing it doesn't lock in 4Low:

Here's a video of my truck showing it doesn't lock in 4Low:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch-actuated Selec-Trac has been offered on Jeep Liberty for years. To my knowledge it's been a sturdy system.
I don't think citing a Liberty part brings any positive credibility to the argument.

My opinion, keep the 4A away from a Jeep! All I want is simple reliability in my drivetrain. No added electronics! No added clutches!!

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Specially not in your powertrain.. sheesh. I even hate clutch type diffs. That's how they do this 'electronic assist modes crap'. It's still mechanical.. just electronic management of clutch packs and braking. No thanks...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think citing a Liberty part brings any positive credibility to the argument.

My opinion, keep the 4A away from a Jeep! All I want is simple reliability in my drivetrain. No added electronics! No added clutches!!
Well, you will get to choose since FCA apparently won't be making 4A standard on anything.

OP
OP
RedRockRubicon

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
So for all of those hanging on the edge of your seats...

The supercharger is installed and the ECU is back in the jeep, so we are able to start the jeep to see if the display changes from 4Auto to 4HI....
It does not. its simply the wrong shift knob. My buddy is going to keep the shift knob for novelty.
Sponsored