Sponsored

4H auto... on a Rubicon

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I'm thinking wrong knob from the factory or possible a prank on us from the OP ;) I'll be interested in hearing the outcome though.
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Notice that all of those owners saying their Rubicons came with 4A are in the UK. That’s my point posts above: in other markets, Selec-Trac has been available on Rubicons since JL came out in 2018. Yet it wasn’t available here, Jeep’s home market which, reportedly generates 75% of FCA’s global profits.

Now that Bronco is back, Jeep is finally adding 4A to Rubicons, albeit, apparently, as an “extra” cost option...
Could there be some downside to having CV joints vs U-joints from an off-road perspective?

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Selec-Trac has been available on Rubicons since JL came out in 2018. Yet it wasn’t available here, Jeep’s home market which, reportedly generates 75% of FCA’s global profits.
You might be happy about that fact. Maybe we've been used as test mules, and is Selec-Trac only introduced now in the US, now it did prove to be reliable in EU? ;)

Could be a production capacity thingy as well, or related to our different driving style...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You might be happy about that fact. Maybe we've been used as test mules, and is Selec-Trac only introduced now in the US, now it did prove to be reliable in EU? ;)

Could be a production capacity thingy as well, or related to our different driving style...
Doubt it. FCA has been offering 4A on Ram pickups for years in order to remain competitive. So the system is well proven, both in terms of durability and driving habits.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4H auto... on a Rubicon 1595349491099

Which, again, brings us to Ford bringing Bronco back, this time with 4A.

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Which, again, brings us to Bronco coming back to market with its own 4A.
And which will not come to the EU... :crying:

Guess the darn thing is way too big for our roads and tiny parking spots :LOL:

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Ewwww... selec-trac on a rubicon? Those have clutch packs for the 4H/A modes as described here:

Wikipedia Selec Trac 2

It does lock in 4L as I understand it but still... keep that junk away from a rubicon. :/
First that wiki is wrong, the selec trac 2 Mp3022 has 2wd, FT4wd, 4PT, 4 Lo , neutral. they omitted the 4PT where you can lock in 4 Hi. 2.72 Ratio

I think the Rubicon for 2021 will have the Rock trac with the FT4WD as option, added. so you get same ratio 4:1

Not sure what the over seas Select Trac is, but assume it is the same as what is currently in the Sahara 2.72:1

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
Notice that all of those owners saying their Rubicons came with 4A are in the UK. That’s my point posts above: in other markets, Selec-Trac has been available on Rubicons since JL came out in 2018. Yet it wasn’t available here, Jeep’s home market which, reportedly generates 75% of FCA’s global profits.

Now that Bronco is back, Jeep is finally adding 4A to Rubicons, albeit, apparently, as an “extra” cost option...
Agreed. No excuse for their largest market not having this as an option 2018. It makes absolutely no sense. Now that the Bronco is arriving, they now decide to add it. Such BS.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Agreed. No excuse for their largest market not having this as an option 2018. It makes absolutely no sense. Now that the Bronco is arriving, they now decide to add it. Such BS.
Except the bronco doesn't exist in the EU, yet the Rubicon has 4WD auto there...so your logic doesn't pan out for me.

Anyhow, do the EU models have the D44 and lockers? Does the ram? Are CV joints the right choice for heavy off road use?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Not sure what the over seas Select Trac is, but assume it is the same as what is currently in the Sahara 2.72:1
For the Rubicons, that is in combination with 4:1 Rock-Track
Don't know for sure about the other trim levels.

Neither is it an option - we can only get Auto's, and they do come with 4A by standard.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is a 2021, right? It's been discussed for weeks that the Full Time option was coming to the 2021 Rock-Trac t-case. There was a whole list of changes shown in another thread.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Easy fellas, 4a is one of the things that interested my wife about the bronco. That and the low mounted grab handles on the a-pillars.
Kind of proves my point! LOL

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Could there be some downside to having CV joints vs U-joints from an off-road perspective?
Unless we're speaking RCV's which have been built w extreme use in mind, I definitely prefer u-joints. They're easier to service and even easier to visually inspect for that matter.

You can carry spare u-joints (although in truth if one craters it usually frags an ear) but it's not really possible to carry JUST a CV joint since it's integral to the shaft(s)

I'm honestly disappointed to see people clamoring for a 4auto option - I've always considered it something for soccer moms or those who can't drive or don't understand how their drivetrain works