First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
There are some people in the 2021 Order guide thread that would love to see some pictures of the front axle shaft CV joint
Can make some one of the next days when time permits, and I do not forget.
4H auto was introduced here a year earlier, and without being an option (on Rubicon - don't know for sure with respect to Sport/Sahara).

OP
OP
RedRockRubicon

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Reportedly Rubicon is finally adding Selec-Trac as an option in North America for 2021. Everything else is supposed to stay the same: F/R lockers, D44s front and rear, 4:1 Rock-Trac transfer case, swaybar disconnect.

That photo is of a JL in the Middle East. FCA has been offering Selec-Trac on JL Rubicons --and 2-door Saharas-- in overseas markets for years. Hard to tell we are the suckers that provide FCA 75% of its profits.

Last edited:

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
FCA has been offering Selec-Trac on JL Rubicons --and 2-door Saharas-- in overseas markets for years. Hard to tell we are the suckers that provide FCA 75% of its profits.
Can't speak for other countries/markets, but here Sport/Sahara is always Selec-Trac, Rubicon always Rock-Track. No options to chose from in any direction.

As for being suckers. Looking at how ridiculously cheap OEM parts are as compared to here, how many possible configurations, options to choose from, and special editions you folks have, not to mention the very limited number of slots for "custom" orders we have, well, then...

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can't speak for other countries/markets, but here Sport/Sahara is always Selec-Trac, Rubicon always Rock-Track. No options to chose from in any direction.

As for being suckers. Looking at how ridiculously cheap OEM parts are as compared to here, how many possible configurations, options to choose from, and special editions you folks have, not to mention the very limited number of slots for "custom" orders we have, well, then...
Rock-Trac is the 4:1 transfer case used on Rubicon; Command Trac is the 2.72:1 transfer case used on Sahara and Sport.

Selec-Trac on the other hand is the system that allows a 4WD, whether it is Rock-Trac or Command-Trac, to switch automatically --and instantly-- between 2WD and 4H.

Jeep has been offering Selec-Trac on Rubicons for years in other markets; it is just now adding it as an option here in North America, presumably due to the added competition now coming from Bronco. Had Ford not brought Bronco back, we may still not be be able to get Selec-Trac on Rubicons right here, Jeep's home market.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Rock-Trac is the 4:1 transfer case used on Rubicon; Command Trac is the 2.72:1 transfer case used on Sahara and Sport.

Selec-Trac on the other hand is the system that allows a 4WD, whether it is Rock-Trac or Command-Trac, to switch automatically --and instantly-- between 2WD and 4H.
My bad, you are correct - I mixed command- and Selec-track :facepalm:

Look at it this way - we are compensated with Selec-track for missing out on manuals, the V6, and the 3.0 Eco diesel ;)

Aage

First Name
Aki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020, 2.2L diesel
I live in Iceland. Bought a 2020 Rubicon few weeks ago. It has 2.2 Turbo Diesel and 4A.

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Reportedly Rubicon is finally adding Selec-Trac as an option in North America for 2021. Everything else is supposed to stay the same: F/R lockers, D44s front and rear, 4:1 Rock-Trac transfer case, swaybar disconnect.

That photo is of a JL in the Middle East. FCA has been offering Selec-Trac on JL Rubicons --and 2-door Saharas-- in overseas markets for years. Hard to tell we are the suckers that provide FCA 75% of its profits.
I’ve a 2019 JLUR with selec-Trac auto box. Came as standard if one wanted auto in the uk.

Ogormanste

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU 2.2 diesel Rubicon
Mine has 4auto . It’s just what they come with in the Uk as standard .

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
It's available on the 2021 Rubi. If this is a late production 2020 you may have just gotten "lucky". Next model year featurs being faised into the last of the prior years production run is nothing new. Sometimes it's simply a matter of they ran out of the old before the change over.

Makes me wonder though, will the fulltime 4Ă—4 come anytime an auto trans is specified?

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
It's available on the 2021 Rubi. If this is a late production 2020 you may have just gotten "lucky".
We (Europe) have Selec-Trac available since the launch of the JL ;)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's available on the 2021 Rubi. If this is a late production 2020 you may have just gotten "lucky". Next model year featurs being faised into the last of the prior years production run is nothing new. Sometimes it's simply a matter of they ran out of the old before the change over.

Makes me wonder though, will the fulltime 4Ă—4 come anytime an auto trans is specified?
Notice that all of those owners saying their Rubicons came with 4A are in the UK. That’s my point posts above: in other markets, Selec-Trac has been available on Rubicons since JL came out in 2018. Yet it wasn’t available here, Jeep’s home market which, reportedly generates 75% of FCA’s global profits.

Now that Bronco is back, Jeep is finally adding 4A to Rubicons, albeit, apparently, as an “extra” cost option...
Sponsored