Nice work. Is this legal in your state?

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 - '20 JTR - '21 GCL
Made a bracket and installed the brake light behind spare tire. Removed the third brake light frame and looks cleaner

20180509_113132.jpg

View attachment 42396

2018-05-09 13.41.03.jpg
Oh I like this alot! I will be stealing this idea :like:

This looks like you used a piece of aluminum angle - if so, what size did you use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Not sure about the legality of this mod. Just wanted to clean back up.

I used a 1.5 inch piece of flat aluminum. Used some of the spare screws left over to mount

20180509_112756.jpg

Sponsored

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 - '20 JTR - '21 GCL
Not sure about the legality of this mod. Just wanted to clean back up.

I used a 1.5 inch piece of flat aluminum. Used some of the spare screws left over to mount

20180509_112756.jpg
Oh yeah, now I see how you did it. Thanks for the info.

I did mine last night and used some 3M double sided tape. We'll see how long it holds.

20180511_052801.jpg
20180511_052827.jpg

OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I had the 3M in my hands but opted to drill 2 small holes using the extra OEM 3rd brake light bracket screws to secure. Solid now.

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I just did the third brake light relocation the same way basically that was recommended in this thread. I am now getting a back up warning every time I put the vehicle in reverse. I thought the back up sensors were only on the tail light, but maybe the third brake light also has a sensor. Has anyone had similar issues and if so, is there a resolution or do I need to put the brake light back in front of the spare tire

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Here are a few pictures
Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Brake Light Relocated IMG_2100

Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Brake Light Relocated IMG_2101

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Brake light obstructed by spare tire? 🤔

Pennsylvania: “Not in my state!” 🤬
Texas: “Sure, whatever you want!” 🤠

Oh the difference in the states… 🤦‍♂️

Sponsored

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Brake light obstructed by spare tire? 🤔

Pennsylvania: “Not in my state!” 🤬
Texas: “Sure, whatever you want!” 🤠

Oh the difference in the states… 🤦‍♂️
I think the third brake light is federally required on all vehicles that came from the factory with the third brake light. From what I understand only states that have safety inspections like Pennsylvania actually require it to be functional. Mine is very functional and actually very visible when it lights up. I don't expect any problems, but if I have to, I will revert back to factory. I relocated it to allow for a water container to sit in that position during Overlanding trips.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Brake Light Relocated IMG_2102

RicRecon

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
I think the third brake light is federally required on all vehicles that came from the factory with the third brake light. From what I understand only states that have safety inspections like Pennsylvania actually require it to be functional. Mine is very functional and actually very visible when it lights up. I don't expect any problems, but if I have to, I will revert back to factory. I relocated it to allow for a water container to sit in that position during Overlanding trips.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Brake Light Relocated IMG_2102
Please more photos of that water container and where you got it. Are you using Seasucker mounts to hold it on the rear glass?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Please more photos of that water container and where you got it. Are you using Seasucker mounts to hold it on the rear glass?
The water container is made by a company called Klymit and is called a water port. Mine is a 3.8 gallon, but they also make an 8 gallon. And yes, I am using the sea sucker mount made for the water port. I have also used a sea soccer mount that has 2 cups made for a rotopax like you see on the side of my spare tire and it works, but the mount made for the water port has 3 cups, which I think leverages the water port tank better. See sucker has both the mound and the tank for about the best price I have seen. Not cheap, but it is an excellent accessory.

I opt to keep things on the back rather than the side window as some of the trails, I run, have trees and brush and boulders that get very close to the side. I also did not want to hang all this off of the spare tire even though I have the factory Mopar reinforced tire carrier. I already have a 37" on there and I think I would be asking for trouble if I put fuel and water on the tire carrier. My solution requires me to remove the fuel and water when I wanna open up the cargo window, but I can do that in about two minutes for all three.

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
There is no sensor in the 3rd brake light.
I didn't think there was, but when I see so many people posting that when they rotated their valve, stem their back up sensor warning went away. I had to wonder what was going on. Thank you for confirming.

It turns out I have gotten my back up sensors working correctly again. I run a taser on my vehicle, and for some reason, the taser was only giving me three choices, off, setting one and setting two. It would send warnings with nothing behind the vehicle in both setting one and two. I unmarried the taser, and everything worked perfectly, no warnings until it actually sensed something. When I remarried the Tayser and went to set the proximity sensor, this time there were six settings. It defaulted to settings six, which, after rebooting, the system, everything is working as it should. I am guessing I must not have married the taser correctly the previous time.
Sponsored