Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for running the light ring only?
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for running the light ring only?
If you're referring to the light ring as the 3rd brake light in addition to the conventional brake lights on each side, getting in trouble "may" depend upon your state's vehicle equipment statutes. In NC, we're only required to have a functional center braking light and, as long as it's working, it'll pass inspection. I was an officer in Ohio, and we had to know that only "two or more" stop lights were required for cars manufactured after 1967.

But the 3rd brake light is federal law, and federal law states all passenger vehicles/trucks/etc. manufactured after a certain year (I don't know what year, but I'm sure The Google does) be outfitted with a third brake light.

It's supposed to be comparable to the conventional brake lights on either side & not "distracting" to anyone behind you, but that could be subject to interpretation. An argument could be made that the ring isn't comparable to the stop lamps on either side, and if stopped by police, an officer might be able to make the determination that the ring could be distracting.

Last edited:

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know the third light is a federal mandate. I am debating whether or not to tempt the Fates by getting rid of the OEM third light and just using the light ring, but am nervous about the subjectiveness of that law.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m sure it all comes down to location and a cops interpretation of the law. I’m in PA and I have been running only the ring as my 3rd brake light Since about September and have not Had any issues.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know the third light is a federal mandate. I am debating whether or not to tempt the Fates by getting rid of the OEM third light and just using the light ring, but am nervous about the subjectiveness of that law.
Be a rebel!

rebel.gif

Sponsored

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I still want to hook up my Rugged Ridge light ring, but I’d rather not cut the wire off of the OEM third light to splice it on. I’d much rather purchase a new female wire connector to put on the light ring wire to attach to the original Jeep male plug. Any ideas what that part number or name would be and where I could buy one?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I’m sure it all comes down to location and a cops interpretation of the law. I’m in PA and I have been running only the ring as my 3rd brake light Since about September and have not Had any issues.
Agree. I've been running with only the ring and have not been stopped by NJ law enforcement yet. (fingers crossed)

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, spoke to a shop dude here in So. Fla. he said he, and several other Jeep owners, have been running Just the ring only for upwards of two years with no legal hassles yet. I’m going for it! I bought the Quadratec one so I won’t have to cut and splice. And will stick the OEM 3rd light up in my attic for storage. I’ll post before and after pics later.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ok, spoke to a shop dude here in So. Fla. he said he, and several other Jeep owners, have been running Just the ring only for upwards of two years with no legal hassles yet. I’m going for it! I bought the Quadratec one so I won’t have to cut and splice. And will stick the OEM 3rd light up in my attic for storage. I’ll post before and after pics later.
Make sure you check that everything is working. Basically don't just plug it in and assume all is good. I bought the Quadratec one also and the plug that plugs in the to oem harness works well, but the plug that plugs the ring in has a very crappy fit and the slightest movement and the contacts don't make connection. I will probably eventually hard wire just that connection.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
If I wanted to also keep the OEM brake light installed, I probably would have bought the Quadratec version. Instead, I bought the Rugged Ridge version and spliced in some waterproof connectors (like the ones in the pic below) so I can easily switch back to the OEM if my state inspection requires it.

Screenshot_20200104-225939_eBay.jpg

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got a Rugged Ridge light ring at our 4x4 club's White Elephant party... it was the JK model though.
I had to put a hole in it for the camera and open up the holes for the lugs. The connector sorta worked with the OEM 3rd brake light wiring and connector, but was not water tight, so I put some heat shrink on it and then electrical tape for good measure.

I would not reccomend this route unless you score one free or cheap like I did because of the extra fiddling with it.

Otherwise it works great.

20200104_155858.jpg

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
If I wanted to also keep the OEM brake light installed, I probably would have bought the Quadratec version. Instead, I bought the Rugged Ridge version and spliced in some waterproof connectors (like the ones in the pic below) so I can easily switch back to the OEM if my state inspection requires it.

Screenshot_20200104-225939_eBay.jpg
Nice! Easy to splice on those connectors?
Yep! If you use solder seal wire connectors, it will be really quick and easy.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Ok, so I still want to hook up my Rugged Ridge light ring, but I’d rather not cut the wire off of the OEM third light to splice it on. I’d much rather purchase a new female wire connector to put on the light ring wire to attach to the original Jeep male plug. Any ideas what that part number or name would be and where I could buy one?
Quadratec makes a light ring that doesn't require splicing:like:
Edit: oops didn't see you had it. How does it look?
Sponsored