3D Designer Section for 3D Printers

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
No more fooling with Velcro or Zip Ties when you go to remove the Tazer JL or when you go to put it back in place, behind the plastic panel.
The one I've shared allows the Tazer Mini to slide freely up and out of the holder, and is within reach without removal of the kickplate. There are no clips in the design (by design) and no need to cut any ties when mounted on the lower bar as indicated.

Wish well to the other guys, regardless.
Sponsored

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mazer
Anyway, as for me I would like a Tazer JL holder that comes off and on in seconds. No fooling with positioning and with zip ties... Preferred would be to easily remove or install with 1 screw and that is it ......No zip ties or Velcro.
Sounds like what you really want isn't a single screw or zip ties at all, but a spring loaded clip design that clasps on the upper and lower chamfered edges of the bottom bar behind the kick plate (shown where I've mounted mine in the video); no need for a blade or a screwdriver to mount/unmount.

The gist would be similar to the common phone holder designs that use springs or rubber bands which are ubiquitous on sites like thingiverse, although I wouldn't rely on a rubber band's longevity in that area.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sounds like what you really want isn't a single screw or zip ties at all, but a spring loaded clip design that clasps on the upper and lower chamfered edges of the bottom bar behind the kick plate (shown where I've mounted mine in the video); no need for a blade or a screwdriver to mount/unmount.
@mazer

You are missing the point is seems.....

What I want is an easily removable, functional holder that can be physically removed in seconds/in a minute.

.....and that same holder to be able to be put back up under there / fastened quickly and easily with a single screw ....... and me not be lying under there fooling with zip ties..

My focus is not really how the Tazer JL is held into the 3D printed holder.... although that is important also.

As I mentioned earlier, I and other's, want the Tazer JL and it's holder out of there when the JL/JT goes to the dealership Service department.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mazer

You are missing the point is seems.....

What I want is an easily removable, functional holder that can be physically removed in seconds/in a minute.

.....and that same holder to be able to be put back up under there / fastened quickly and easily with a single screw ....... and me not be lying under there fooling with zip ties..

My focus is not really how the Tazer JL is held into the 3D printed holder.... although that is important also.

As I mentioned earlier, I and other's, want the Tazer JL and it's holder out of there when the JL/JT goes to the dealership Service department.
I think you’re missing my take, which was a quick mod to the 3d model that would clamp the holder in like a cell phone holder.
🤷🏼‍♂️
That would have a holder with no ties, no screw, and still a quick release and full access to the usb/lights.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you’re missing my take, which was a quick mod to the 3d model that would clamp the holder in like a cell phone holder.
🤷🏼‍♂️
That would have a holder with no ties, no screw, and still a quick release and full access to the usb/lights.
@mazer

Do it... design it.... 3D print it .... lets see it... :like:

Sponsored

xefie

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Rubicon
How do you folks figure out how to mate 3d printed parts to the existing JL interior? I'm turning one of these: TRIGGER 4 PLUS Remote Mount - Fits Jeep JL and JT | Trigger Controller into a GMRS/ham radio faceplate & speaker mount, but I'd love to clean up the design to make the edges meet, as well as expand the body of the mount to fit a 2-3" speaker instead of having to use tin(n)y 1" speakers.

All of my 3D-printing friends come from artistic background and have never had to deal with this.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mazer

As described. A "phone holder" style spring-loaded clamping mechanism that allows for zero bolts/cable ties.

There's a bend in the lower bar -- specifically the bar closest to the diagnostics port -- where there's ample purchase for the jaw depth.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers tazer-spring-clam

Top left - ideal mount spot.
Top right - compression springs pull the jaws together.
Middle left - compression springs used: 7/32x1-1/4 (Qty: 2) and the thread rods (4-40 x 2)
Middle right - view from top - inserts for #4 nuts.
Lower left - another view of the jaws, closed.
Lower right - another view of the jaws, showing depth.

USB port with blinken lights still viewable.

Tazer Mini pulls out easily, leaving the holder in place for quick cable change, etc.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tweaked a bit.

Since the main holder bay that cradles the Tazer doesn’t actually rest against the mount bar anymore, there’s no harm in dropping it down for even easier access, yet within the reach of the wiring that connects to the Tazer.

Also dialed in the clamp height and compression strength.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the kick panel in place. Blinkin lights & usb access just below the panel.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 5F7BCBBE-0B60-4FEF-ADF1-100FDD302046

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mazer

Well, @mazer ................ geeeez, I said "design it.... 3D print it"..... and you sure did..... I'm impressed..

IF I had that beauty, I would probably stick some fuzzy side Velcro on the plastic that grips the metal support of the JL... That would eliminate any chance of a rattle..

Would truly like to see that goodie in place.... Good for you!

Sponsored

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, @mazer ................ geeeez, I said "design it.... 3D print it"..... and you sure did..... I'm impressed..

IF I had that beauty, I would probably stick some fuzzy side Velcro on the plastic that grips the metal support of the JL... That would eliminate any chance of a rattle..

Would truly like to see that goodie in place.... Good for you!
The compression clamp is really tight, but not so tight that the holder can't be mounted/removed in less than a second. ;)

An anal-retentive OCD-type person might design a TPU (rubbery, flexible filament - like I used for the lugnut caps) covering for inside of the clamp jaws that would take care of that.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I don't suppose any of you printer folks have a Derringer and pod? I am curious if this screw to the right of it could be used as an attachment point for an arm for a forward mounting solution to keep out of the visor's range of motion.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 1638931146179

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't suppose any of you printer folks have a Derringer and pod? I am curious if this screw to the right of it could be used as an attachment point for an arm for a forward mounting solution to keep out of the visor's range of motion.
If that's the rear-view mirror cluster (you have lane tracking?? mine has open space behind it where I have a dashcam mounted), then that looks to be (again, just judging from the image because I'm a Sport S guy) a plastic quick fastener that releases on just a quarter turn of the Phillips head.

If it's a plastic part, then there's not really a good chance of using that as any kind of mount point.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
If that's the rear-view mirror cluster (you have lane tracking?? mine has open space behind it where I have a dashcam mounted), then that looks to be (again, just judging from the image because I'm a Sport S guy) a plastic quick fastener that releases on just a quarter turn of the Phillips head.

If it's a plastic part, then there's not really a good chance of using that as any kind of mount point.
Yea I can only speculate at the moment, no wrangler in hand. I'll look for more tear down images, the gauge weighs very little though.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 1638931146179
Have you seen the Aeroforce pod mount? It mounts up by the grab handle on the Driver side of the windshield. Info on that part and install. Its a really nice looking gauge pod, but for me the install took a bit of tweaking to make it strong.
9eb631d9-94cb-49ab-80e7-503ecdd156f2-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored