Sponsored

392 XR Handling

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2dr, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2019 Cherokee TrailHawk
And the button that quiets down the exhaust is called the drive up window button. It is for when you are at a drive up window and the person taking your order can't hear what you are saying. That is the only time you use it.
[/QUOTE]

HA HA...But then you're just denying them from hearing the Hemi. That noise needs to be shared with all.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
I wanted to give and update now that we have the 392 XR finally home.
I was expecting both of them to ride fairly similar but there is definitely a noticeable difference. We don't have a lift on the 4xE but are running 35's. First off the XR sits exactly 2 inches higher as measured from ground to bottom of the front and back door windows. With that extra height I thought I might notice more body roll but I don't at all. I'm just guessing that is due to the Fox shocks on the XR. It seems to actually feel more planted in corners than the 4xE does. It's not like the 4xE is bad by any means but the XR seems just move from corner to corner with less body roll and isn't as affected as the 4xE with mid-corner bumps.
The 2nd thing that is really noticeable is steering feel. The XR has a heavier feel at the wheel which I am really preferring over the 4xE. The 4xE feels like a normal Jeep Wrangler whereas the XR almost feels like it has rack & pinion. Not quite there but it's way closer to the feel of our Grand Cherokee than the 4xE. There's no discernable play or sloppiness that you get with most Wranglers.

Bottom line to me, if you like the way the 4xE handled I think you're going to love the XR.

And besides any perceived handling deficiencies are more than made up by listening to that incredible exhaust note. Damn it is addictive. I have no idea why you'd ever drive it with the Performance Exhaust turned off.

Had to include an obligatory pic of them both...horrible picture but this was the first one I've had a chance to take.
IMG_1058.jpg
Love your picture. I’m awaiting production of my 392XR Hydro….awesome pic, congrats and good luck with both Jeeps!

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Good God this wait is killing me. I feel like the SNL skit where the guy is just trying to win the goat and eat:

Sonja: Can’t I have the rice?

Rajneesh Philbin: No, I’m sorry. We’re feeding it to the goat!

Sonja: Can’t I just smell it?

Rajneesh Philbin: No! That’s all the time we have. Join us next time for “Who Wants To Eat?”

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/who-wants-to-eat/2870485

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Going to have to agree with everything Colorado mentioned. We have had my wife’s 4XER for a little over 6 months and 7,000 miles. I have put the majority of those on there. Just recently picked up my 392XR and put a hair over 200 miles on it so far.

Initial impressions are it does ride noticeably smoother and feels like it handles better. I don’t take either of these cars to the edge when it comes to corners but the 392XR is noticeably more confidence inspiring than the 4XE. The 4XE was a huge gain over my prior late model JK in both handling and comfort.

I would say my biggest positive over the 4XE, other than the V8, is the improved steering feel. I was not expecting this as it was never mentioned in any reviews that I watched/read. The lack of any kind of feel was my biggest gripe with the JL generation over the JK. The 392XR solves this for me. Is it as good as the JK no it’s not but it’s a huge improvement over any other JL I have driven.

Another positive is how much bigger the 392XR is over the 4XER. I was expecting it to be slightly bigger but it makes my wife’s Jeep look small now. Here is a couple quick pictures I will take better ones later.

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 XR Handling 092E3B55-B2EE-4225-A554-FC6914337930

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 XR Handling 206B9318-21AF-4D78-98C1-B0511113C82D

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Going to have to agree with everything Colorado mentioned. We have had my wife’s 4XER for a little over 6 months and 7,000 miles. I have put the majority of those on there. Just recently picked up my 392XR and put a hair over 200 miles on it so far.

Initial impressions are it does ride noticeably smoother and feels like it handles better. I don’t take either of these cars to the edge when it comes to corners but the 392XR is noticeably more confidence inspiring than the 4XE. The 4XE was a huge gain over my prior late model JK in both handling and comfort.

I would say my biggest positive over the 4XE, other than the V8, is the improved steering feel. I was not expecting this as it was never mentioned in any reviews that I watched/read. The lack of any kind of feel was my biggest gripe with the JL generation over the JK. The 392XR solves this for me. Is it as good as the JK no it’s not but it’s a huge improvement over any other JL I have driven.

Another positive is how much bigger the 392XR is over the 4XER. I was expecting it to be slightly bigger but it makes my wife’s Jeep look small now. Here is a couple quick pictures I will take better ones later.

092E3B55-B2EE-4225-A554-FC6914337930.jpeg

206B9318-21AF-4D78-98C1-B0511113C82D.jpeg
OK, I am now looking even more forward to the arrival of our Jeep, especially knowing it will handle as good or even better that the 4xe đź‘Ťđź‘Ť You have alleviated my concerns and am so thankful for your report!

And wow!! That XR does look significantly larger than the 4xe!!!

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR

Congratulations!!

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I took my 4xe rubi to it’s handling limits a couple times. It’s interesting to say the least.

Full on 4 wheel drift @ 50-70mph

a)it’s the most nuetral handling car on planet earth. The weight distribution is like exactly 50/50 with a driver. It’s so nuetral, that I could not even feel that I lost traction. If it wasn’t for the sound of the tires and the visual of the pavement moving sideways I’d have no idea
B)there was almost zero body roll
C)the steering feel sucks, you feel nothing.
D)the actual g-force limits are low. I suspect this is mostly because of the ko2’s

I seriously doubt the 392 will out handle a 4xe from a measurement standpoint. Beating a 4xe from a “feeling” standpoint is definitely possible.

I’ve been considering purchasing a street tire setup for my rubi. Like some low profile summer tires on light wheels, and swap them out for the k02’s during winter or when I want to hit the trail. That’s a pain in the butt though.

low profile summer tires on these things would be hysterical fun

rubiland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited 392
I’ve had my XR now for 300 miles and I’m pleasantly surprised at how well it handles. The last few Jeeps I had all had the AEV lofts and 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers with a few other suspension mods. They never drove as good as this XR feels. Jeep dialed it in nicely. The Highway feel is fantastic. It’s a little floaty in the turn which I think the Hellwig RSB should fix. Overall, I’m super pleased with it.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I wanted to give and update now that we have the 392 XR finally home.
I was expecting both of them to ride fairly similar but there is definitely a noticeable difference. We don't have a lift on the 4xE but are running 35's. First off the XR sits exactly 2 inches higher as measured from ground to bottom of the front and back door windows. With that extra height I thought I might notice more body roll but I don't at all. I'm just guessing that is due to the Fox shocks on the XR. It seems to actually feel more planted in corners than the 4xE does. It's not like the 4xE is bad by any means but the XR seems just move from corner to corner with less body roll and isn't as affected as the 4xE with mid-corner bumps.
The 2nd thing that is really noticeable is steering feel. The XR has a heavier feel at the wheel which I am really preferring over the 4xE. The 4xE feels like a normal Jeep Wrangler whereas the XR almost feels like it has rack & pinion. Not quite there but it's way closer to the feel of our Grand Cherokee than the 4xE. There's no discernable play or sloppiness that you get with most Wranglers.

Bottom line to me, if you like the way the 4xE handled I think you're going to love the XR.

And besides any perceived handling deficiencies are more than made up by listening to that incredible exhaust note. Damn it is addictive. I have no idea why you'd ever drive it with the Performance Exhaust turned off.

Had to include an obligatory pic of them both...horrible picture but this was the first one I've had a chance to take.
Thanks for the update. I have a 22 Rubicon 4XE and love it. I have 35 Ko2s on it. My 392 XR was built 2 weeks ago and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I was wondering if it would have some more height so I am glad to read your post. And I was also curious as to handling when compared to the 4XE. Sounds like it will be great! :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Well, been driving the 392 XR for a little over 6 months now and have not been disappointed at all. Right away I could tell this thing handled better in the turns than the 4xe, however I wanted to give it some break-in time before reporting back, especially since the 4xe we rented had a little mileage on it.

In comparison, the 392 ride is a little smoother, steering is definitely a bit crisper, and it handles better in the turns than the 4xe. Not sure exactly why, but probably due to the XR package and 35" tires I'm guessing. All that said, it still is not very good in turns compared to most other vehicles, LOL! my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited feels like a sports car in turns, compared to this Jeep :LOL:

Acceleration is WAY better than the 4xe, not even a comparison! This 392 XR from a stomp roars like a lion, points its nose to the sky and tosses its occupants back to their delight!! With this XR package, it just hooks up and goes!

This 392 XR is a beast and a blast to drive!! 0-60 in ~4 seconds is no joke for a Wrangler either...
Solid fun ;)

Last edited:

Demodog

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
I have a 2023 XR. I added the Hellwig rear sway bar and the Falcon adjustable steering stabilizer. I can not recommend these two mods enough. I run the steering stabilizer on the firm setting. Really tightens up the steering feel and the sway bar greatly reduces body roll. Honestly a night and day difference

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2023 XR. I added the Hellwig rear sway bar and the Falcon adjustable steering stabilizer. I can not recommend these two mods enough. I run the steering stabilizer on the firm setting. Really tightens up the steering feel and the sway bar greatly reduces body roll. Honestly a night and day difference

How does the sway bar and steering stabilizer affect off road performance?

Demodog

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
How does the sway bar and steering stabilizer affect off road performance?
The steering stabilizer adjusts easily between soft, medium and hard with the turn of a dial. I would recommend soft for off road. Everything I have read says the Hellwig sway bar does not affect suspension articulation.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
I have the Hellwig and also agree this is a great mod. Interested in the Falcon. Did you do this at the same time or after the Hellwig? Curious to see how big of a difference that alone makes
Sponsored