Sponsored

35s with stock gearing

Bmw91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I'm not new to Jeep, but it's definitely been a while. Bought a new 2019 JLU Sport back in December and I'm trying to plan out my list of mods. At the top of my list are lift, tires, and regear.

Here's my question:
Can I run 35s on stock 3.45 gearing in a 6 speed for 6+ months without losing my sanity?

Worst case I'll hold off until I can afford it all at once. Just don't want to reach too far into my pocket from the get go.

For those curious, leaning towards 2.5" AEV lift, 35x12.5 KO2s, and wheels TBD. If I can Frankenstein it on a budget without crap parts, might look into a cheaper lift and buy lower control arms, etc.

Thanks all.
Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Yea you will be fine. Might loose some 6th gear but you won't lose your sanity. I had 35's on my 2010 sport with the 6 speed and that had the dinosaur 3.8L minivan engine and it was fine most of the time.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm not new to Jeep, but it's definitely been a while. Bought a new 2019 JLU Sport back in December and I'm trying to plan out my list of mods. At the top of my list are lift, tires, and regear.

Here's my question:
Can I run 35s on stock 3.45 gearing in a 6 speed for 6+ months without losing my sanity?

Worst case I'll hold off until I can afford it all at once. Just don't want to reach too far into my pocket from the get go.

For those curious, leaning towards 2.5" AEV lift, 35x12.5 KO2s, and wheels TBD. If I can Frankenstein it on a budget without crap parts, might look into a cheaper lift and buy lower control arms, etc.

Thanks all.
Congrats on the JL! I drove my sport for 5 days with the setup you're describing...6th gear is useless and it's very sluggish. Driveable...yes, fun to drive...not for me. Are you going to wheel it? If yes, I'd skip spending $2k to regear the sport axles and save up for takeoff rubi axles and get more bang for the buck...can be found for $3500+ labor...get stronger axles, 4.10 gearing, lockers and better brakes. You can likely sell your sport axles for a grand to reduce costs. I did this and sold the sport axles + brakes for $1500. Here's the build thread if you want to read about it with thoughts and pics. Let me know if you have any questions...happy to help.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/billet-stallion-sport-s-full-d44-swap.19973/

Last edited:

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the JL! I drove my sport for 5 days with the setup you're describing...6th gear is useless and it's very sluggish. Driveable...yes, fun to drive...not for me. Are you going to wheel it? If yes, I'd skip spending $2k to regear the sport axles and save up for takeoff rubi axles and get more bang for the buck...can be found for $3500+ labor...get stronger axles, 4.10 gearing, lockers and better brakes. You can likely sell your sport axles for a grand to reduce costs. I did this and sold the sport axles + brakes for $1500. Here's the build thread if you want to read about it with thoughts and pics. Let me know if you have any questions...happy to help.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/billet-stallion-sport-s-full-d44-swap.19973/
I was quite surprised at the interest I got for my sport take off axles - even with the defective D44 limited slip. Got $750 within a couple days of listing.

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Haha this topic hasn't ever been covered...

if you live on flat ground you can get away with it ... it would be less noticeable with the Zf transmission.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Do you like the stock ride quality? If so, the Rough Country 2.5 spacer lift is a solid option. Add their front track bar and Rubicon express geometry brackets. Looking at $400-$450.

Since your jeep is so new, you do not need a master overhaul kit for the regear. The minor would be fine, although I'd replace the inner pinion bearings.

OP
OP

Bmw91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I drove my sport for 5 days with the setup you're describing...6th gear is useless and it's very sluggish. Driveable...yes, fun to drive...not for me.
Thanks for an actual answer. Based on that alone, I'll likely aim to regear at the same time. 6th gear as it is feels already useless to me with stock tires since I do most of my driving in town. If I'm shifting even fewer gears, that's no fun at all. Even on the highway, I drive like the elderly...

Do you like the stock ride quality? If so, the Rough Country 2.5 spacer lift is a solid option. Add their front track bar and Rubicon express geometry brackets. Looking at $400-$450.
I do like the stock ride, but I rather full springs instead of spacers. Also will eventually be getting an aftermarket bumper and I know the stock springs will sag more in the front. Mildly considered the RC springs and the other stuff you suggested though. Just not sure of the quality. My old TJ had RC springs and I liked them, but I just don't know this time around if that's where I should cheap out.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Thanks for an actual answer. Based on that alone, I'll likely aim to regear at the same time. 6th gear as it is feels already useless to me with stock tires since I do most of my driving in town. If I'm shifting even fewer gears, that's no fun at all. Even on the highway, I drive like the elderly...

I do like the stock ride, but I rather full springs instead of spacers. Also will eventually be getting an aftermarket bumper and I know the stock springs will sag more in the front. Mildly considered the RC springs and the other stuff you suggested though. Just not sure of the quality. My old TJ had RC springs and I liked them, but I just don't know this time around if that's where I should cheap out.
I don't think I'd go with Rough Country springs. There spacer kit is nice for people looking to keep the stock suspension. Their track bars are awesome, springs have been known to have issues.

There is the Rancho 2 inch kit which is pretty popular.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I got my ā€˜18 Sport S JLU l, 6-speed, in July. Got 35ā€ tire and the mopsr lift right away.
Iā€™ve been wheeling it and driving it with stock gears since. Itā€™s ROUGH! Rarely sees 5th on the freeway and stalls off roading steep climbs and rocks. Very sluggish.

Iā€™m regearing next week!!! Yay!! I canā€™t wait!! I want lockers and a truss fir my front axle , or possibly a better front axle ...but canā€™t swing it yet. Down the road it will happen.
But for now, Iā€™m delighted to regear !!!
Sponsored