3.6 vs 2.0

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
on the discussion of 2.0 and octanes... i have been running 86 in my 2.0 rubicon for over a week now... 2 fill ups.... my avg is .6 mpg higher than when i was running 91..... i do the same commute every day and not much driving outside that during this time..... im pretty happy..... i put a few miles on jeep ( 13k already... ive had jeep 6 months) so this will make a difference

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Which engine is my last decision. Had the chance to rent a JLU with the 2.0 last week and on return test drove one with a 3.6. Both were great engines - very hard to chose between the two.

2.0 was spunky and power came on in a hurry as the turbo spooled up - lag was almost non-existent. Gas mileage was very impressive, overall average 23.9 and it was in combined city/hwy driving. Really fun to zip around in.

3.6 felt smoother - more linear acceleration if that makes sense. Quiet compared to the 2.0.

Again liked both, leaning towards the 3.6 right now since my sport car days are over and I'm more of a traditionalist. However, I'm schizophrenic on this so plenty of time too go back and forth since I won't be ordering for a couple of months.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Which engine is my last decision. Had the chance to rent a JLU with the 2.0 last week and on return test drove one with a 3.6. Both were great engines - very hard to chose between the two.

2.0 was spunky and power came on in a hurry as the turbo spooled up - lag was almost non-existent. Gas mileage was very impressive, overall average 23.9 and it was in combined city/hwy driving. Really fun to zip around in.

3.6 felt smoother - more linear acceleration if that makes sense. Quiet compared to the 2.0.

Again liked both, leaning towards the 3.6 right now since my sport car days are over and I'm more of a traditionalist. However, I'm schizophrenic on this so plenty of time too go back and forth since I won't be ordering for a couple of months.
Those were my reactions of the two as well.

In the end for me, the V6 has been out longer, giving it time to prove itself, and the engine's relative simplicity seems better in line with owning a Jeep.

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
hahaha I went in the opposite direction, I think. My kids are getting older and the road to freedom is sooooo close (not having to taxi them around, being able to leave them at home alone for short periods of time, etc). I went from sports cars to minivans (well, SUV's), and the midlife crisis in me is screaming "GET THE ZIPPY ONE! So I did! :clap: I did stick with an automatic though. As much as I miss driving a stick (SO, SO MUCH!), the modern comforts or things like auto start and proximity entry (and the "no 2L manual) won me over.

Oct

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's , 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
I just picked up my 2020 JLU Willy's that I order and I got it with the 2.0 and enjoy the way it drives , the 3.6 without the manual is a horrible and sluggish but the 3.6 with manual is very very fun to drive .. they need to offer manual in all variations

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I just picked up my 2020 JLU Willy's that I order and I got it with the 2.0 and enjoy the way it drives , the 3.6 without the manual is a horrible and sluggish but the 3.6 with manual is very very fun to drive .. they need to offer manual in all variations
I found the same thing. It had power, but it didn't have a lot of "get up and go". Good for the highways, but a bit boring for city driving. Standard transmissions though... :like:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s nothing “horrible and sluggish” about the V6 with the automatic.

You must have driven a V6 with two blown cylinders...or a JK.

Oct

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's , 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
3.6 with the 8 speed sluggish? Interesting.
The wife has a 3.6 manual Willy's 2016 loves it and I love driving it to and now we also have the 2020 2.0 Willy's and love the way it handles

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t like 2.0T much. It felt jerky and unrefined compared to the V6.

Besides, it is a Fiat motor; good luck with that. I should know, my other car is a Fiat.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I own two 2.0’s. I wanted one in the Jeep because of how impressive it is in our 18 Giulia. Power and economy with no pattern of failure.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I have no issue with people preferring the 2.0 over my preferred engine. I’m not surprised more people seem to like it more actually. With that said I’m going to doubt any review that says the 8speed is sluggish compared to the 6speed. That’s just blatantly false especially if you’ve driven a 3.6 JK.
Sponsored