Sponsored

3.6 engine knocking

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
I just purchased a jlu in late October. Immediately, I noticed that the engine has a knocking sound when it gets up to temperature at idle. I took it back and complained and after putting in a passenger intake cam shaft, phaser, oil selenoid, lifters and rockers, along with the exhaust lifters and rockers, and about a month in the shop, it still is knocking.
They pulled in a new jl and that engine has the same knock sound. I have a open star case with jeep and I asked that they send a field engineer to come listen to it. I am totally expecting them to tell me that this is "normal" and "operating as designed" The dealer told me that I will not get an engineer to come out. I have not heard back from jeep yet. I also had another dealer listen to it and they told me "that it does not sound right and should be looked at." You can hear this knock inside the vehicle with the doors and windows closed. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem so I am asking now, do any of you have a knocking sound at idle? I can't believe this is "normal".The Jeep had around 900 miles when they finally replaced the parts. It has 1200 now.
What say you?
Btw, they had to replace the drag link due to the ball joints were "wore out". Those were on back order, I suppose from so many others having issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
On acceleration or only at idle?
Only at idle that I can hear.
Jeep called me today to tell me they were not going to send a field tech out. I told her that I was going to take it to another dealer and she said good and to let her know when I make the appointment and where so they can track it.

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet

Sponsored

Jljohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Th

This is not engine ping from poor fuel. It is only at idle that I can hear and is rythymic like lifters but is not a metallic sound but more of a plastic hollow cup sound. If that makes any sense.
Any luck yet?? Mine has the same issue. I've got almost 7k on it and it has not gotten better. The dealerships say it doesn't sound good but since there are no check engine lights, they dont want to open it up.

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Any luck yet?? Mine has the same issue. I've got almost 7k on it and it has not gotten better. The dealerships say it doesn't sound good but since there are no check engine lights, they dont want to open it up.
No, it still knocks just like it did on day one. I only have around 4100 miles on it. It is a weekend ride only.

Sponsored

Mattbell

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 just wrangler Rubicon
I just purchased a jlu in late October. Immediately, I noticed that the engine has a knocking sound when it gets up to temperature at idle. I took it back and complained and after putting in a passenger intake cam shaft, phaser, oil selenoid, lifters and rockers, along with the exhaust lifters and rockers, and about a month in the shop, it still is knocking.
They pulled in a new jl and that engine has the same knock sound. I have a open star case with jeep and I asked that they send a field engineer to come listen to it. I am totally expecting them to tell me that this is "normal" and "operating as designed" The dealer told me that I will not get an engineer to come out. I have not heard back from jeep yet. I also had another dealer listen to it and they told me "that it does not sound right and should be looked at." You can hear this knock inside the vehicle with the doors and windows closed. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem so I am asking now, do any of you have a knocking sound at idle? I can't believe this is "normal".The Jeep had around 900 miles when they finally replaced the parts. It has 1200 now.
What say you?
Btw, they had to replace the drag link due to the ball joints were "wore out". Those were on back order, I suppose from so many others having issues.

Mattbell

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 just wrangler Rubicon
I have an 18 jl Rubicon with 14k on it I’ve had to have the wiring harnesses replaced to fix the power mirrors, a ball joint was popping and needed to be torqued, and now I have this knocking sound at lower rpms. It sounds like when you put bad gas in an old car, pinging

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator
It be great if all you guys with "knock" can post a video so we can hear what you are hearing.

See my thread below for my "knock", does it sound anything like yours?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knocking-sound-at-idle.34498/

With mine you can hear it from the bottom end of the engine on the passenger side.

13,000 miles on my '18 JLU 3.6 and I have the exact same noise, passenger lower end. Mine started about 2,000 miles ago, seems to be quite a few people with the exact same noise.......worries me but everyone keeps saying it's "normal". Normal compared to what??
Sponsored