3.0 diesel problems

GregC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Thanks for the add! I searched and couldn't find may people having issues with their 3.0 diesel. Mine has been at the dealer since new years day. going on 2 months now. I finally got the "Jeep Wave" involved. they are trying to expedite parts, but they are saying could be another 2-3 weeks for parts, then another week to do the repairs. They are saying lift pump went out and took out the whole fuel system. anyone else have any issues? I'm not sure what my options are, but i think being in the shop 3+ months is way to excessive. they said they've changed fuel pumps, FICM, fuse blocks, wiring etc. I think at this point they are just throwing parts at it. any feedback would be helpful. thanks in advance
Sponsored

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
might want to look into lemon lawing this if possible

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
If any piece in a diesel fuel system begins to disintegrate, or grenade, There is a massive downstream effect and it needs to be dealt with properly.
Typically what happens is a pump or injector starts to eat itself, turning loose thousands upon thousands of tiny metal particles. These particles head downstream and effect every piece along the way, and because diesel systems return a lot of fuel and there is no downstream filter, they end up in the fuel tank where they are sucked back up to have another go at the fuel system.
You would think that at least one of the two fuel filters would catch them, but that is usually not the case. Either they build up and clog the filter and trip the bypass, or they blast right through the filter media. Either way the problem is exacerbated.
To properly cure the issue the entire fuel system needs to be flushed a number of times until no more particles can be seen in the outflow. Additionally the fuel tank needs to be removed and properly cleaned ... a flush will not work here as there are too many eddies in a fuel tank where particles can hide only to become a problem later on. It takes smart diesel people and a lot of parts and time to do this right.
In your case, being the lift pump is the primary culprit, that would mean it took out the low pressure pump, the high pressure pump, the common rail, the injectors and their actuators, the fuel lines, the fuel tank, and the regen side of the DPF system.
If these guys are working on fuse blocks and wiring, you are truly knackered as they literally have no idea what they are dealing with.
If you want to know how bad it is, if there are any rubber lines in pressure side of the system take a piece of one and fillet it ... you will be able to tell how bad it is by the number and size of the metal particles embedded in the rubber.
TBH, I am surprised that they are not simply giving you a new engine, One Box, fuel tank, and fuel lines and filter housings. Likely about $30k - $40k worth of parts and labour.

FWIW ... I had this happen with one of DD15's. Of course it's a much bigger engine but the principle and the system are the same. New engines and fuel systems for me start around $80,000.00 so mine got repaired, and that's how it was done. Lucky for me, it was still under warranty.

OP
OP
GregC

GregC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
If any piece in a diesel fuel system begins to disintegrate, or grenade, There is a massive downstream effect and it needs to be dealt with properly.
Typically what happens is a pump or injector starts to eat itself, turning loose thousands upon thousands of tiny metal particles. These particles head downstream and effect every piece along the way, and because diesel systems return a lot of fuel and there is no downstream filter, they end up in the fuel tank where they are sucked back up to have another go at the fuel system.
You would think that at least one of the two fuel filters would catch them, but that is usually not the case. Either they build up and clog the filter and trip the bypass, or they blast right through the filter media. Either way the problem is exacerbated.
To properly cure the issue the entire fuel system needs to be flushed a number of times until no more particles can be seen in the outflow. Additionally the fuel tank needs to be removed and properly cleaned ... a flush will not work here as there are too many eddies in a fuel tank where particles can hide only to become a problem later on. It takes smart diesel people and a lot of parts and time to do this right.
In your case, being the lift pump is the primary culprit, that would mean it took out the low pressure pump, the high pressure pump, the common rail, the injectors and their actuators, the fuel lines, the fuel tank, and the regen side of the DPF system.
If these guys are working on fuse blocks and wiring, you are truly knackered as they literally have no idea what they are dealing with.
If you want to know how bad it is, if there are any rubber lines in pressure side of the system take a piece of one and fillet it ... you will be able to tell how bad it is by the number and size of the metal particles embedded in the rubber.
TBH, I am surprised that they are not simply giving you a new engine, One Box, fuel tank, and fuel lines and filter housings. Likely about $30k - $40k worth of parts and labour.

FWIW ... I had this happen with one of DD15's. Of course it's a much bigger engine but the principle and the system are the same. New engines and fuel systems for me start around $80,000.00 so mine got repaired, and that's how it was done. Lucky for me, it was still under warranty.
Thanks for the info. luckily mines still under warranty as well. only 5500 miles. they originally changed the pumps and some lines, then they were convinced it was an electrical problem. i'm convinced they just don't know what they are doing. now that Jeep corporate is involved, maybe this will come to some sort of resolution.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I've started the process. Jeep said they will send it to their legal department and check the law in my state. don't know if it will go anywhere
You may want to check with Lemon Law attorney licensed in Arizona to see where you stand. To get you out of the middle, Jeep could have put you in a new Jeep. That would have been customer focused.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Thanks for the add! I searched and couldn't find may people having issues with their 3.0 diesel. Mine has been at the dealer since new years day. going on 2 months now. I finally got the "Jeep Wave" involved. they are trying to expedite parts, but they are saying could be another 2-3 weeks for parts, then another week to do the repairs. They are saying lift pump went out and took out the whole fuel system. anyone else have any issues? I'm not sure what my options are, but i think being in the shop 3+ months is way to excessive. they said they've changed fuel pumps, FICM, fuse blocks, wiring etc. I think at this point they are just throwing parts at it. any feedback would be helpful. thanks in advance
I am no legal expert, but #2 may apply to you. Two months is beyond reasonable time for a new vehicle to be out of service.

https://www.keytlaw.com/lemon-law/

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 diesel problems 1614302106672

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Thanks for the info. luckily mines still under warranty as well. only 5500 miles. they originally changed the pumps and some lines, then they were convinced it was an electrical problem. i'm convinced they just don't know what they are doing. now that Jeep corporate is involved, maybe this will come to some sort of resolution.
I hope so. Diesel fuel systems, while typically quite robust, do tend to be expensive when they fail.

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I wouldn’t worry about it. That’s their jeep and no way I’d have it back. Been thru that with a ram truck and not again. I’d clean my stuff out of it and move on.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
@GregC any movement or resolution on this? I'm at day 37+ without my diesel while waiting on backordered parts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GregC

GregC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
@GregC any movement or resolution on this? I'm at day 37+ without my diesel while waiting on backordered parts.
Jeep has started the buy back process. I'm waiting to hear back what they are going to do with the aftermarket stuff. their first response was we don't cover or reimburse for that. they said if I wanted to remove it i could take it to a shop and have it put back to stock. my question for them was "how can I do that if they cant get it running." so now he's supposed to let me know what his boss says. the dealer told me the they still have no ETA for backordered parts. the whole thing is a Joke.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has started the buy back process. I'm waiting to hear back what they are going to do with the aftermarket stuff. their first response was we don't cover or reimburse for that. they said if I wanted to remove it i could take it to a shop and have it put back to stock. my question for them was "how can I do that if they cant get it running." so now he's supposed to let me know what his boss says. the dealer told me the they still have no ETA for backordered parts. the whole thing is a Joke.
as part of a buyback you should get credit for any aftermarket stuff you put on as long as you have the receipts. been through it more than once myself. if you can't find receipts, make sure you get access to the Jeep at the dealership to swap out parts back to stock. or may even be worth towing somewhere to swap.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Wish you all the best.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I've been trying to get my head around the aftermarket parts on my Jeep as well. What could I swap easily, what would take longer, what's more expensive/worthwhile, etc. I have considered what it would take to get it towed back to my house for me to revert the suspension (all still boxed in the garage) and then back to the dealer or whatever, if that would even be an option.
Sponsored