Sponsored

2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nope, but I sure do wish that I did. It was my favorite Jeep off Road...
Yeah, I did a frame off restoration on mine, put an AMC 401 V8 from a Cherokee (balanced & printed), Disc brake front end kit, front shackle reversion, Ford T19 compound low transmission. It was a fun time! Started out Black and ended up almost Sting Gray, lol

Oooops, sorry this thread was about tires, those are 35x14.5x15 Denman Ground Hawgs, load rating unknown :(

Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C IMG_0306.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C IMG_0309.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C IMG_0312.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C IMG_0313.JPG
Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
E tires with bad ride is a common myth. Like you said, E has one more sidewall ply. After blowing my 3rd C or KoH tear assing on rocky roads, my mechanic said get E's. Never blown an E going fast over rocks. The extra ply isn't going to hold up 1,400 lbs. See my https://bt39.com/ which has proven pretty accurate on drop v. pressure. Every time you half the air pressure, you double the patch size. While non-beadlocks are safe to 15 lbs, beadlocks can air down to 5 lbs, which gives you tripple the footprint.
Cool chart, I’m a little confused on the numbers or what they mean. What’s the static vs dynamic?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Cool chart, I’m a little confused on the numbers or what they mean. What’s the static vs dynamic?
Static is not moving. Dynamic is moving. I arbitrarily assign 2.25 times the weight. I should update that and let you enter the dynamic load factor. So if you're moving and hit a bump, you can have more weight on a wheel.

https://bt39.com/Help

The UI sucks

Last edited:

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C tempImagePRtl6E

I have atturo 35's XT's (load E) on mammoth 17inch steel wheels. The ride isn't horrible but you can feel the road a bit more than the stock 33 bfg load C . I have a little roughness in the floorboard around 48-50mph but im not going to sweat it.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I have the 2.5" game changer with Rocksport shocks, and that alone will make your ride stiffer. The Rocksports are terrible on washboards, but ride okay on pavement. They are incredible at letting your Jeep flex.

The Patagonia's strengths were in the first 5k miles and they did not disappoint, especially for the price.

The KO2's of the same size, but load range C, were much more comfortable on road and in the rough. There is a bit of placebo perhaps as the KO2's are my current tires, but both seem to be capable in most off road traction needs.

My .02 after having a few sets of tires and loving my current load C rated KO2's on MetalCloak 2.5 that you say you are going to...

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
tempImagePRtl6E.jpg

I have atturo 35's XT's (load E) on mammoth 17inch steel wheels. The ride isn't horrible but you can feel the road a bit more than the stock 33 bfg load C . I have a little roughness in the floorboard around 48-50mph but im not going to sweat it.
@Pigtrailrv, Nearly twins from @Sage73 above.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C IMG_20200605_180738

Mine are 35x12.5x17 Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler All-Terrains, E-Load rated.

I love them. Normally ride at 15 off-road and 37psi highway. I know everyone prefers lower psi when on-road but the 'Chalk Test' is best near 40.

I live in Colorado, this is my daily driver and I enjoy every minute when driving it (anywhere). It's by far the most fun vehicle I've ever owned.

You can ride on whatever rubber you can rationalize but grip, durability, snow rating and shear enjoyment are my primary concerns. The E rating just happens to be a bonus.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL 2DR ride on Load E tires vs Load D/C InShot_20200915_223133135

OP
OP
Pigtrailrv

Pigtrailrv

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL 2D Rubicon, 2023 392 JLU
Occupation
Retired
@Pigtrailrv, Nearly twins from @Sage73 above.

Mine are 35x12.5x17 Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler All-Terrains, E-Load rated.

I love them. Normally ride at 15 off-road and 37psi highway. I know everyone prefers lower psi when on-road but the 'Chalk Test' is best near 40.

I live in Colorado, this is my daily driver and I enjoy every minute when driving it (anywhere). It's by far the most fun vehicle I've ever owned.

You can ride on whatever rubber you can rationalize but grip, durability, snow rating and shear enjoyment are my primary concerns. The E rating just happens to be a bonus.

Jay

Nice ride. What lift are you running?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I had 35" KO2's load range C on my 2-door Rubi from the second day of ownership and loved them on and off road! I recently changed things around with MetalCloak 2.5" springs and 37" KO2's in load range C...Did not like these C's as they did not handle nearly as well as the 35's and the tread was much narrower than either the 35's or same size 37" KO2 in D rated. I quickly had Discount switch me to 37 12.50/R17 D KO2 and like them much better than the 37" C's. (I also got rid of the MetalCloak rear 2.5" springs and replaced those with Synergy-the MC's had the ass end sitting about an inch and a quarter too high. I even verified with MetalCloak those were the shortest they offered for a 2-door JL)

Now after about two thousand miles on the 37 D's I can tell you they ride a little harsher than the 35 C's-even with the larger sidewall and running them at 29psi cold. (Ran 35's at 31psi cold) Being larger and heavier, I also feel a little more bump steer when hitting some potholes but nothing to be concerned about-I doubt most people would notice the difference. For me, the perfect all round tire (not a dedicated trail rig) for a 2-door JL is a 35" C KO2 and if I were doing this again I would stick with a maximum 2" but high flex lift and 35" tires...

OP
OP
Pigtrailrv

Pigtrailrv

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I had 35" KO2's load range C on my 2-door Rubi from the second day of ownership and loved them on and off road! I recently changed things around with MetalCloak 2.5" springs and 37" KO2's in load range C...Did not like these C's as they did not handle nearly as well as the 35's and the tread was much narrower than either the 35's or same size 37" KO2 in D rated. I quickly had Discount switch me to 37 12.50/R17 D KO2 and like them much better than the 37" C's. (I also got rid of the MetalCloak rear 2.5" springs and replaced those with Synergy-the MC's had the ass end sitting about an inch and a quarter too high. I even verified with MetalCloak those were the shortest they offered for a 2-door JL)

Now after about two thousand miles on the 37 D's I can tell you they ride a little harsher than the 35 C's-even with the larger sidewall and running them at 29psi cold. (Ran 35's at 31psi cold) Being larger and heavier, I also feel a little more bump steer when hitting some potholes but nothing to be concerned about-I doubt most people would notice the difference. For me, the perfect all round tire (not a dedicated trail rig) for a 2-door JL is a 35" C KO2 and if I were doing this again I would stick with a maximum 2" but high flex lift and 35" tires...
I will be running 35's. Majority of our driving is as daily driver with some weekends off road. i'm looking at Mickey Thompson Baja Boss D range as a good compromise. I ended up with 18x9 Rugged Ridge XHD wheels so that limits my tire selection. I'm hoping my 2DR sits level with the Metalcloak 2.5 gamechanger kit, we shall see.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I will be running 35's. Majority of our driving is as daily driver with some weekends off road. i'm looking at Mickey Thompson Baja Boss D range as a good compromise. I ended up with 18x9 Rugged Ridge XHD wheels so that limits my tire selection. I'm hoping my 2DR sits level with the Metalcloak 2.5 gamechanger kit, we shall see.

Should look sweet with that tire/wheel combo! If your Rubi 2-door winds up ass high, let me know and I will give you the part number of the Synergy rears I used-they worked out perfectly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pigtrailrv

Pigtrailrv

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Should look sweet with that tire/wheel combo! If your Rubi 2-door winds up ass high, let me know and I will give you the part number of the Synergy rears I used-they worked out perfectly.
Will do, I have a 2022 2DR Rubi on order, I'm gathering parts now. It may be 2 or 3 months before it all gets done. Thanks for your input.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Will do, I have a 2022 2DR Rubi on order, I'm gathering parts now. It may be 2 or 3 months before it all gets done. Thanks for your input.
Looks like you've made some nice choices for your upcoming Rubi, look forward to your posts when you get it home and the goodies installed, should be awesome!

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Nice ride. What lift are you running?
Mike,

It's the standard 2" Mopar Lift. On my 2019 Sport S however I got a little over 2.5".

I'm loving everything about this setup.

I agree however that rubber is probably the most important part of how you want to pilot your Wrangler. You're asking all the right questions. Yet in the end, don't let anyone make this decision for you. It's yours alone to make. Follow all the advice you care to solicit but only you know how you're going to drive it. Follow your instincts, experience, desires and gut feeling. You won't go wrong.

Regards,
Happy Jeeping,
Merry Christmas
Jay

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

Did you change wheels when going to 37's? If so that could be contributing to the additional bump steer...

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I went from C to E on my JK with Nitto RG's 285/75/17 and I couldn't tell the difference.
Sponsored