Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the places I've looked on-line (yeah, I know ... you can't always trust what you read on the web) are saying that the max width tire for the 18 x 7.5 wheels that came on my Sahara are 235's.

Well, my Jeep came stock with 255's, which is almost an inch more width than what is "recommended", thus lending even more credence to the idea that you can't always trust the web.

But now I'm thinking that if I wanted to go to something like 275 or 285's, I'd better think about aftermarket wheels as well.

With that in mind, do any of you have something wider than the 255's and are still using your stock 7.5 x 18" wheels, and if so, have you had any issues with them?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

inb4ammo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I don't know the exact dimensions of your Sahara wheel, but lots of Rubi wheels have got 35s and 37s on stock just fine.

OP
OP
RGlideKid

RGlideKid

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon stock wheels are 7.5” wide and come with 285 rubber from the factory. Many mount 315 tires on the same wheels. 255 is fine.
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RGlideKid

RGlideKid

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. Guess all the websites/tire places say that to sell more wheels. Also wondered if there are bead retention problems with “over width” tires. Apparently not! Thanks for the help!

Slyderzero1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'54 Chevy PU, '07 HD FLHTCUI, '15 Ram 4x4, '18 Mojito Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the places I've looked on-line (yeah, I know ... you can't always trust what you read on the web) are saying that the max width tire for the 18 x 7.5 wheels that came on my Sahara are 235's.

Well, my Jeep came stock with 255's, which is almost an inch more width than what is "recommended", thus lending even more credence to the idea that you can't always trust the web.

But now I'm thinking that if I wanted to go to something like 275 or 285's, I'd better think about aftermarket wheels as well.

With that in mind, do any of you have something wider than the 255's and are still using your stock 7.5 x 18" wheels, and if so, have you had any issues with them?

Thanks in advance!
Go to the tire manufacturers web site for the tires you are looking into, the specs will give recommended wheel widths for the size.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks all. Guess all the websites/tire places say that to sell more wheels. Also wondered if there are bead retention problems with “over width” tires. Apparently not! Thanks for the help!
Wide tires on skinny wheels are considered "poor man's bead locks" because they exert more force against the lip of the rim, making much harder to pop the bead accidentally. Getting tire places to install them...that's the issue.
Sponsored