Sponsored

Last edited:

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I am also wanting to upgrade to the LED tail lights, but haven't as yet. Since the Sport rear bumper does not have the reflectors there doesn't seem to be much of a choice. Either go without, replace the whole bumper with a Rubicon or Sahara bumper (perhaps someones takeoff?) or get something like a trailer reflector from e-trailer or some other place. I have decided to wait to see what the Spyder tail lights will look like when they finally decide to put them on the market. See the video in post #3 of thread:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/led-tail-lights.20526/

Let us know if you come up with a solution.
upload_2019-3-11_7-33-48.png

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I'm not sure, since it seems almost all vehicles have some type of reflectors on the back of the vehicle. Perhaps reflectors are required by state or local law?

Updated: Just a quick google search regarding reflectors in the state of Washington:

RCW 46.37.060
Reflectors.

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That vehicles of the types mentioned in RCW 46.37.090 shall be equipped with reflectors meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.110 and 46.37.120.
(2) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than fifteen inches nor more than seventy-two inches measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2), and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that reflectors on vehicles manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1970, shall be visible at night from all distances within three hundred and fifty feet to one hundred feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Why did you put on LED tail lights? Are you trying to add in BSM retroactively?

Sponsored

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you can purchase original OEM LED tail lights without BSM.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I doubt you can add BSM retroactively..
You can do anything you set your mind to.

I think you can purchase original OEM LED tail lights without BSM.
Of course you can, the question is, why would you? The reverse lights are dim and the housings look weird in my opinion.

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Once I find a steel rear bumper my plastic one with reflectors will be up for grabs. And just outside of Syracuse!!

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
You got it!

Sponsored

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
I think that the Mopar LED taillights look really nice. I like how they curve inward in the center as opposed to the blocky square ones that I have now. I would like to get some next I have the money.
When I bought my steel bumper I got reverse LED lights with the package from Hauk and they give me great visibility backing up at night.

Jp3.jpg

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Why do you question other people tastes? If you have nothing constructive to add I see no further need to engage.
Because this is America? I was asking if there was a legitimate reason beyond aesthetics, given that swapping bulbs would be much cheaper and the reverse lights would be brighter.

I think that the Mopar LED taillights look really nice. I like how they curve inward in the center as opposed to the blocky square ones that I have now. I would like to get some next I have the money.
When I bought my steel bumper I got reverse LED lights with the package from Hauk and they give me great visibility backing up at night.

Jp3.jpg
That's a nice bumper.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
I'm not sure, since it seems almost all vehicles have some type of reflectors on the back of the vehicle. Perhaps reflectors are required by state or local law?

Updated: Just a quick google search regarding reflectors in the state of Washington:

RCW 46.37.060
Reflectors.

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That vehicles of the types mentioned in RCW 46.37.090 shall be equipped with reflectors meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.110 and 46.37.120.
(2) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than fifteen inches nor more than seventy-two inches measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2), and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that reflectors on vehicles manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1970, shall be visible at night from all distances within three hundred and fifty feet to one hundred feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.
Luckily I live in Florida. Does anyone know the Florida reflector ordinance?

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Because this is America? I was asking if there was a legitimate reason beyond aesthetics, given that swapping bulbs would be much cheaper and the reverse lights would be brighter.

That's a nice bumper.
Oh hey thanks man! I'm really happy with how it came out. I just love the Hauk designs. There is a great custom powder coater just a few miles from me that coated it from raw steel. ProTek powder coating here in Jax does great work.
Sponsored