2024 4xe is disappointing... gets no range increase

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I just proved it saves money. Even with a 10 year battery replacement I'm still ahead 10k+ by the time it happens or 6k with the new tax credit.

There is no other way to get V8 power in a wrangler unless you spend 20k so saying your bronco has V8 power (still significantly less power than the 4xe and worse fuel mileage) is a moot point. As is the assumption that jeep will put the i6 in the wrangler and even if they do unless they only charge you 4k it still costs you more for worse mpgs and a gain of ~45 hp for the standard output.

Turbos btw are ~2500 bucks a pop assuming no other damage and also have a service life similar to the battery pack so that's 5k down the line in expected maintenance which also eats away at the price difference. The 4xe also has turbos but it also doesn't use them as often so the life expectancy will be longer.
How much does the 4xe battery replacement cost?

Also the 2.7 Bronco is not significantly less power then the 4xe especially if you get the factory ford tune. It's still V8 power. Regardless if it's more or less.
Sponsored

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
How much does the 4xe battery replacement cost?

Also the 2.7 Bronco is not significantly less power then the 4xe especially if you get the factory ford tune. It's still V8 power. Regardless if it's more or less.
Today's cost at a dealer is 12.5k for a Pacifica which uses the same system. 10 years from now when there are refurbished packs? Who knows but probably closer to Prius replacement cost which is 2-5k today.

Stock the 2.7 is way less power, 45 HP and 60 ftlbs is a lot of missing power. The tune does bring it closer.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...First, major advances in battery tech are already in the pipeline. So another straw man....
As an investor in solar and battery tech for the past 30yrs myself, you are mistaken. Citations? Yes research is ongoing, but no magical solution is at hand. It will be a slow evolution, not a 15yr revolution. The battery tech we have now is OLD but it works in the required capable/cost/benefit/practicality sense and is what almost all EVs will be using for the mandated govt timelines.

...But what I will disagree with you on is using very unrealistic scenarios to scare people into believing EV's are a net problem based on grid capacity.
Hmm. Are you are stating the US govt generating capacity numbers are wrong? Or, are you are stating that EVs can charge other EVs to alleviate any need to vastly expand the on-demand electrical capacity? That would be perpetual charging operation without power generation. SERIOUSLY????

Engineers and system operators disagree with you, as do the articles YOU referenced. CA blackouts already show they are behind the needs in that region. The math is quite simple unless you assume there is ZERO chance just 5% of potential future EVs all charge simultaneously. Think OTR trucking, for example. :LOL:

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Today's cost at a dealer is 12.5k for a Pacifica which uses the same system. 10 years from now when there are refurbished packs? Who knows but probably closer to Prius replacement cost which is 2-5k today.
$12.5k is alot of money for battery replacement. Your assuming there might be refurbished packs. What if there isn't? Or what if technology advances into something else like combustion hydrogen engines and nobody cares about electric anymore. Or electric technology advances to the point where the batteries are totally different and much smaller and the current 4xe set up is a dinosaur not even able to replace? Too many variables in this early technology. I cam easily see the the money that you save gets wiped out down the road by battery replacement. Or vehicle replacement trade depreciation if you keep it long enough and trade up to the latest and greatest whatever.

My point is nothing is perfect and is a guaranteed money saver.

One thing I will say the new Prius you mentioned I could see saving money with because it's only $30k for the hybrid and it gets almost 60mpg. At least with something like that your definitely saving money in gas.

Last edited:

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
How much does the 4xe battery replacement cost?...
The battery will be significantly functional for at least 10+yrs before the electric-only range starts dropping and eventuall get to an impractical (5-10 miles) elec-only range. It will still work and provide the hp and tq, though. Projection guesstibased on a friend's 9yr old 400,000 mile Tesla S who has barely over half the original range on a good day.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The 21 mile range is definitely a head scratcher. For me to even consider an EV it has to at least go 150 miles full electric. I live 20 miles from everything it would be pointless for my needs.
EVs are only useful for city dwellers. I live in the greater LA area and here an EV makes more sense. LA is absolutely massive and there is charging everywhere. Even then.... my co-worker was asking for camping spots near the city. I gave him about 5 where you can always find a site. He came back to me and said neither work. Because him and his friend both have Tesla model Y and need sites with hook ups. lol...:CWL:. He also told me a story they went on a roadtrip to Sedona or something like that, and how they had to make half hour stops to charge. Mentioned the charging spots were "fun". EV's are a hassle for most people.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
EVs are only useful for city dwellers. I live in the greater LA area and here an EV makes more sense. LA is absolutely massive and there is charging everywhere. Even then.... my co-worker was asking for camping spots near the city. I gave him about 5 where you can always find a site. He came back to me and said neither work. Because him and his friend both have Tesla model Y and need sites with hook ups. lol...:CWL:. He also told me a story they went on a roadtrip to Sedona or something like that, and how they had to make half hour stops to charge. Mentioned the charging spots were "fun". EV's are a hassle for most people.
Yeah. I'm not a city dweller and all those stops they had to do definitely doesn't sound fun. He'll I hate stopping for gas when I have to and that's fast. Lol.

I if I ever got anything electric it wouldn't be full electric. Hybrid/PHEV is definitely the way to go in that department. I really do wish the 4xe got a bit more then 21 miles with full electric and better mpg in hybrid mode. I might consider it.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$12.5k is alot of money for battery replacement. Your assuming there might be refurbished packs. What if there isn't? Or what if technology advances into something else like combustion hydrogen engines and nobody cares about electric anymore. Or electric technology advances to the point where the batteries are totally different and much smaller and the current 4xe set up is a dinosaur not even able to replace? To many variables in this early technology. I cam easily see the the money that you save gets wiped out down the road by battery replacement. Or vehicle replacement trade depreciation if you keep it long enough and trade up to the latest and greatest whatever.

My point is nothing is perfect and is a guaranteed money saver.

One thing I will say the new Prius you mentioned I could see saving money with because it's only $30k for the hybrid and it gets almost 60mpg. At least with something like that your definitely saving money in gas.
Not possible, the manufacturer has to support parts for a vehicle for a long time as mandated by the government. The system also can be made to use different battery tech as stellantis is already using multiple suppliers of different techs for their hybrids. On top of that they also are planning on using this system in all their vehicles starting in 2025 so through at least 2030 this system isn't going anywhere and most likely well beyond. By that point there will be millions of these on the road and refurbs will be available.

I don't understand why you think the Prius saves anymore money than the wrangler on gas in terms of % of savings? If you bought a non hybrid small car equivalent to the Prius you get 40+ mpg or basically save 1/3 of your fuel bill by going Prius. If you buy a gas wrangler and get 17 mpg and then get a 4xe and get 22 mpg you are also saving 1/3 of your fuel bill. Comparing an apple to an orange is not a fair comparison, if the Prius was a 4 door, 4 wheel drive lifted brick then sure, but you might as well compare a bicycle to a wrangler as it's about as fair.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Not possible, the manufacturer has to support parts for a vehicle for a long time as mandated by the government. The system also can be made to use different battery tech as stellantis is already using multiple suppliers of different techs for their hybrids. On top of that they also are planning on using this system in all their vehicles starting in 2025 so through at least 2030 this system isn't going anywhere and most likely well beyond. By that point there will be millions of these on the road and refurbs will be available.

I don't understand why you think the Prius saves anymore money than the wrangler on gas in terms of % of savings? If you bought a non hybrid small car equivalent to the Prius you get 40+ mpg or basically save 1/3 of your fuel bill by going Prius. If you buy a gas wrangler and get 17 mpg and then get a 4xe and get 22 mpg you are also saving 1/3 of your fuel bill. Comparing an apple to an orange is not a fair comparison, if the Prius was a 4 door, 4 wheel drive lifted brick then sure, but you might as well compare a bicycle to a wrangler as it's about as fair.
I can see it being supported by 2030. But after that who knows. I guess I'm thinking in terms of someone who buys a vehicle and keeps it for 30 years.

If your happy with the 4xe that's all that matters. Like I said it intrigues me and I wish it made sense for me. For me I don't know how it would save enough money in fuel savings being I'm out in the country and 20 miles from everything. Plus like I said electric isn't cheap in my area. I'm sure it would save some fuel as explained but enough to warrant the cost. Don't know.

I mentioned the Prius because you did. That's all. And the new Prius hybrid gets 57mpg which is pretty impressive if saving gas is your main goal.

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
I'd imagine when it gets a "real" redesign. Not worth adding new batteries at a mid cycle refresh.

Sponsored

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see it being supported by 2030. But after that who knows. I guess I'm thinking in terms of someone who buys a vehicle and keeps it for 30 years.

If your happy with the 4xe that's all that matters. Like I said it intrigues me and I wish it made sense for me. For me I don't know how it would save enough money in fuel savings being I'm out in the country and 20 miles from everything. Plus like I said electric isn't cheap in my area. I'm sure it would save some fuel as explained but enough to warrant the cost. Don't know.

I mentioned the Prius because you did. That's all. And the new Prius hybrid gets 57mpg which is pretty impressive if saving gas is your main goal.
It's easy to figure out how much it will save you, how many miles do you drive a day, what's your kw/h cost, and what's your gallon of gas cost?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It's easy to figure out how much it will save you, how many miles do you drive a day, what's your kw/h cost, and what's your gallon of gas cost?
Gas is around $3.60 a gallon and kw/h is like 18 cents give or take. I'll have to double check.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's honestly all over the place. It depends. But if I average it comes out to about 25 miles a day.
I always like to assume worst case on these. So assuming you drive 50 miles a day, (20 there, 20 back, 10 around town) you can basically subtract 21 miles from that at a cost of 14kwh x .18 cents or 2.52. then the remaining 29 miles at about 20 mpg for another 5.22 or so in gas and a total of 7.74. on gas alone you are at 9 dollars, so on a 50 mile drive you saved 1.25 for that day or 457 bucks a year.

If you only drive 25 miles a day then your cost is 3.24 for 4xe instead of 4.50, or still about 1.25 a day.

Your gas to electric costs are pretty high so you aren't saving much as compared to like us where my kwh is 12 cents but gas is 3.75.

So 5 years you've saved 2500 bucks, plus the 3750 on tax credit or 6250. Now just compare your gas model to the 4xe one you'd get to find price difference and decide if having V8 power and the extra creature comforts off sets the extra money.
Sponsored