2021 TIPM (Fuse Box) Issues

rpopat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
On September 30, 2020, I purchased a 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited 2.0L, it was driving perfectly fine and I was not having any issues. 2 days later on October 2, 2020, I parked the car at a shopping center, went into the store for no more than 10 minutes and when I got back in the Jeep, the engine would not turn over but all the electrical components like the a.c., radio, Bluetooth, etc. inside the vehicle turned on and worked fine. I turned the car off and waited a few minutes then I tried to start the vehicle again and it still would not turn over. I called AAA and they sent a battery tech to try to jump the battery but the battery was fully charged. Unable to start the vehicle or put it in neutral, a tow truck came and we had to pop open the cover near the shifter and pull the orange tab to shift the car into neutral to get it onto the tow truck. I took it right back to the dealer I bought it from and after 45 minutes they had it figured out. I was told a "starter plug" was not inserted completely and came loose. The car drove fine for about 6 more days. On October 8, 2020, I got into the car and turned it on, everything started up like normal but I got a "service start/stop system" warning on the dash. I turned the vehicle off and waited a few minutes to see if it would go away and when I got back in to start the vehicle, it would not turn over again. Once it got towed to the dealership they said they were going to have to really look into and see what's going on. After a few days, they came to the conclusion that a portion of the TIPM was not functioning and seemed burnt out. It has now been exactly 2 weeks and the issue is not yet resolved. The service manager from my local dealership has told me that they are not manufacturing any TIPMs at the moment, possibly due to COVID, and that he is trying to get one shipped in from the assembly line. The Jeep had zero modifications and was and still is completely stock. I do not know if this is a common issue with Jeeps and if it is, I don't know why anyone would take the risk of potentially being stranded if the vehicle will not start while you're out on a trail or road trip. My dealership is doing what they can to get the issue resolved and will hopefully get it fixed within the coming weeks.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Sorry to hear this. Did the dealer check the inventory for all other Jeep dealers in the U.S.?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @rpopat,

We're terribly sorry to hear about this poor experience. Are your concerns resolved at this time? Please feel free to send us a private message if you are in need of assistance.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I do not know if this is a common issue with Jeeps and if it is, I don't know why anyone would take the risk of potentially being stranded if the vehicle will not start while you're out on a trail or road trip.
Issues are a common issue with Jeeps. From engine teardowns, failed transmission, no starts, electrical issues, all 104pages of issues on this forum in just 2 years. I myself have had my engine apart twice.

Goodluck, I'm sure the service department will figure out your issues eventually.

Xrayharley

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RPOPAT,

Iā€™m having the same exact issue on my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I bought it brand new 4 weeks ago and had 8 miles when I bought it. Itā€™s been running great, then after 3 weeks it wouldnā€™t start. I took it to work with no issues. It sat in parking lot about an hour then I ran an errand. The Jeep started but it was like misfiring after I took off. I pulled over on side of the road. Turned off engine then tried turning back on. They engine was trying to turn over but wouldnā€™t start. Then I smelled like something was burning. Had it towed to dealer. They looked at it and they told me the spark plugs are bad!! On a brand new Jeep? So they replaced all the plugs. Still would not start. They called Chrysler for advice and they told them to replace all 4 fuel injectors After that it still wouldnā€™t start then they said it was starter. They replaced starter and still wouldnā€™t start. Then they said it was a bad fuse box, TIPM. I did a search on Google and I see that Chrysler has a recall on Jeep Cherokeeā€™s for bad TIPMs. Looks like they might be doing one on Jeepā€™s if more start to fail. So right now they are on back order and have no idea when a new part will be available. So my brand new jeep that I drove for 3 weeks is still in the shop and no idea when Iā€™ll get it back.

On September 30, 2020, I purchased a 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited 2.0L, it was driving perfectly fine and I was not having any issues. 2 days later on October 2, 2020, I parked the car at a shopping center, went into the store for no more than 10 minutes and when I got back in the Jeep, the engine would not turn over but all the electrical components like the a.c., radio, Bluetooth, etc. inside the vehicle turned on and worked fine. I turned the car off and waited a few minutes then I tried to start the vehicle again and it still would not turn over. I called AAA and they sent a battery tech to try to jump the battery but the battery was fully charged. Unable to start the vehicle or put it in neutral, a tow truck came and we had to pop open the cover near the shifter and pull the orange tab to shift the car into neutral to get it onto the tow truck. I took it right back to the dealer I bought it from and after 45 minutes they had it figured out. I was told a "starter plug" was not inserted completely and came loose. The car drove fine for about 6 more days. On October 8, 2020, I got into the car and turned it on, everything started up like normal but I got a "service start/stop system" warning on the dash. I turned the vehicle off and waited a few minutes to see if it would go away and when I got back in to start the vehicle, it would not turn over again. Once it got towed to the dealership they said they were going to have to really look into and see what's going on. After a few days, they came to the conclusion that a portion of the TIPM was not functioning and seemed burnt out. It has now been exactly 2 weeks and the issue is not yet resolved. The service manager from my local dealership has told me that they are not manufacturing any TIPMs at the moment, possibly due to COVID, and that he is trying to get one shipped in from the assembly line. The Jeep had zero modifications and was and still is completely stock. I do not know if this is a common issue with Jeeps and if it is, I don't know why anyone would take the risk of potentially being stranded if the vehicle will not start while you're out on a trail or road trip. My dealership is doing what they can to get the issue resolved and will hopefully get it fixed within the coming weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rpopat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
RPOPAT,

Iā€™m having the same exact issue on my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I bought it brand new 4 weeks ago and had 8 miles when I bought it. Itā€™s been running great, then after 3 weeks it wouldnā€™t start. I took it to work with no issues. It sat in parking lot about an hour then I ran an errand. The Jeep started but it was like misfiring after I took off. I pulled over on side of the road. Turned off engine then tried turning back on. They engine was trying to turn over but wouldnā€™t start. Then I smelled like something was burning. Had it towed to dealer. They looked at it and they told me the spark plugs are bad!! On a brand new Jeep? So they replaced all the plugs. Still would not start. They called Chrysler for advice and they told them to replace all 4 fuel injectors After that it still wouldnā€™t start then they said it was starter. They replaced starter and still wouldnā€™t start. Then they said it was a bad fuse box, TIPM. I did a search on Google and I see that Chrysler has a recall on Jeep Cherokeeā€™s for bad TIPMs. Looks like they might be doing one on Jeepā€™s if more start to fail. So right now they are on back order and have no idea when a new part will be available. So my brand new jeep that I drove for 3 weeks is still in the shop and no idea when Iā€™ll get it back.
I'm sorry to hear that. It was so frustrating when it happened to me as well. My Jeep was at the dealership for about three weeks while they waited for a new TIPM (fuse box). Once they replaced the TIPM with a whole new one it's been running great. Hopefully that's all yours needs as well. But still very frustrating to buy a new vehicle and have problems right out of the gate.

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL Unlimited
Iā€™m stranded with this problem right now in Kansas City. I didnā€™t know about the possibility it just be the fuse array and ordered a new TIPM. Is it possible that itā€™s the less expensive option? How would I know? This is a nightmare! Itā€™s 2019 Jeep wrangler JL.

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL Unlimited
Did you get a new one?

ccbryant

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am having the same. Was told that the TIPM was on back order with no expectation of delivery. My 2021 wrangler is in a Jeep dealership in another state and I had to come home in a rental vehicle. The dealership said to anticipate at least 45 days!!
Oh and by the way, roadside assistance was great, but the wrecker service they contracted with took 3 1/2 hours to respond.
Sponsored