First Name
BO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP WRANGLER SARAHA UNLIMITED
Vehicle Showcase
For a stock, unmodified Rubicon, I'd follow the following steps:

0 - Lower tire pressures to 31PSI - the Jeep TPMS will alert if it drops below 30. Jeep specs 37 due to fuel economy, not because it is the best pressure. See how it drives.

1a - Alignment (cost $50) - get a reading on all parameters, make sure that the only adjustable item (Toe) is slightly toe-in (factory specs). Note your caster readings, plus make sure no excessive cross-caster, cross-camber or camber (which would indicate axle control arms out of spec).

1b - If you don't want do do the above, buy a cheap $20 digital angle gauge on Amazon. If you lift your Jeep you will want to have that anyway to measure caster, F/R rake, L/R tilt etc before/after lift. Great investment. You can measure caster by putting the magnetic angle gauge on the flat circular holes in the front of the axle.

2 - If you caster is < 5 degrees, spend the $60 and swap in the longer Mopar LCA. Easy to do on the ground, you just need a couple of breaker bars, 22/24mm sockets and long torque wrench. Measure caster after.

3 - Tighten ball joints, trackbar bolts, steering linkages to spec. Drive again.

4 - If you got to this point and it still drives poorly, you need to check your expectations and/or drive another Rubicon and see if it feels differently to you. If it does, then you have an actual issue with your steering and you need to take to the dealer and fight for new steering gear. You can try to put in a more dampened steering stabilizer (e.g. Teraflex VSS at $50) and see if that improves the feel by "masking" the problem - it is not a fix, it is a bandaid.

Good luck.
Great info....thanks....I'm going to copy it and follow the advise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have had and continue to have the same problem.....lower tire pressure helped some from 43 to 35. At highway speeds, tires warm up to 37psi....still not good. Going to lower cold pressure to 33 and see what happens. Changing parts on a brand new vehicle is not something I want to do.....but I feel the dealer won't do it. Going to see what happens. Will be looking for advise.
I finally ordered the longer Mopar LCAs for mine I've just not had time to put them on yet. Hoping that helps some. Mine drives some better now that the coilsprings have settle some. When I first got it, it was a little scary on interstate at 70MPH tbh.

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have had and continue to have the same problem.....lower tire pressure helped some from 43 to 35. At highway speeds, tires warm up to 37psi....still not good. Going to lower cold pressure to 33 and see what happens. Changing parts on a brand new vehicle is not something I want to do.....but I feel the dealer won't do it. Going to see what happens. Will be looking for advise.
I did a chalk test on my tires and lowered the PSI to 30. The lower PSI does help.

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
Got the longer control arms installed on my Rubicon today.

Is there a noticeable difference in the way it drives and the wandering issue? I would say on my Jeep yes but it’s not an absolute cure obviously. It just does it to a lesser degree.

Bumps and potholes don’t feel quite as harsh. Tracks a little straighter.

Is it worth the $60 for the longer arms? IMO I would say yes but I guess it depends on how annoying you find the wandering.

I will say this. If Jeep ever decides to put Lane Assist on these things the computer that controls it will overheat in a matter of minutes. 🤣😂
Sponsored