Sponsored

2021 Alpine Sound System Quality?

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I was the guy that was told to start from scratch. I went elsewhere & Have a 10" Stinger head unit on order to replace the 7". We'll start there and maybe just keep everything in tact. Better EQ may help? The perspective in my negative review of the Alpine in the JL is as follows. Wife also got a new GC w/Alpine that I rode in for weeks before my JL came in. I don't need to be reminded of the different speaker layout, acoustics, etc. of the GC vs the JL but I DID assume it would be the same actual equipment. It sounds fabulous in the CG at high volume. In my JL at much lower volume mine is already clipping? Frankly it lacks balls at higher volume compared to (I thought) same hardware in the GC.
That sounds like faulty hardware. I agree the Alpine isn't amazing, but I can go full volume full bass for hours and the system shows no signs of distortion.
Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
It is almost impossible to design a sound system that will sound good in a Wrangler. Upgraded audio will sound better, but ultimately won't sound better than a midrange sound system in a normal car.
It’s a harder platform to make sound good but with a good install, dsp, and equipment it can be done.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

My coverking hardtop liner is finally on the way to my house. I have some Kilmat coming as well. Will updated on the install when I get it all together.

CJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
JL newbie question: Where is the amplifier? My JLUR has the 9 speaker system.
Also, has anyone experimented with the Alpine Subwoofer control (variable resistor/volume)? Quadratec offers this but seems a bit cheap.

Dkillett

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
OK, a question for those with the Alpine upgrade. I believe the Alpine upgrade was/is described as having 9 speakers. I would assume 4 pairs plus the sub. I have the pair on the dash and a pair on the roll bar and the big sub and that's it. Are they counting more than one speaker per speaker cover? Thanks
9 speaker system, (2) 3 1/2 in dash speakers, (2) 4 in knee panel speakers, soundbar has 1 pair 3 1/2 and 1 pair 4 in. Subwoofer makes it 9.

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Thank you! I do have the knee panel speakers. I had not seen them until I saw your post.

dvanmeter768

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 2 door
You could spend $5,000 on a higher end system...and it wouldn't sound much better.
I put a nice sound system in my 2010 2 door JK ($2,500ish) and it was way better sounding. I used Memphis audio speakers a JL amp and two JL 8" subs which took up my whole rear storage but really I could've been happy with just one sub. The sound was even ridiculous with the top down at 70MPH with drums kicking. If you're into getting super awesome sound out of a Wrangler especially on the highway regardless of what top you have I'd start from scratch.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I came to our 21 JLR with Alpine from a 97 TJ. I put a system in the TJ, improved the overhead speaker bar, made a very compact under driver seat woofer, and Polk speakers in the two dash locations. The TJ is a very challenging place for anything like decent sound. It worked fairly well and was a real hit when I sold it.
The JLR Alpine system is surprisingly good given the space restrictions, I think they did a great job with it and since here on Maui we travel at slower speeds it's more than adequate. And I also don't feel the need to entertain the entire highway as I listen, it's plenty loud.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I came to our 21 JLR with Alpine from a 97 TJ. I put a system in the TJ, improved the overhead speaker bar, made a very compact under driver seat woofer, and Polk speakers in the two dash locations. The TJ is a very challenging place for anything like decent sound. It worked fairly well and was a real hit when I sold it.
The JLR Alpine system is surprisingly good given the space restrictions, I think they did a great job with it and since here on Maui we travel at slower speeds it's more than adequate. And I also don't feel the need to entertain the entire highway as I listen, it's plenty loud.
I also had a 97 TJ and sold it to fund the 2021 JLUR project. I ended up building a custom box for the TJ behind the rear seat and placed all of the amps under the rear seat. The box had two firing JBL 10" subs and hit pretty hard. The dash speaker location was crap on the TJ so I ended up with separates there and overhead.

The Alpine system was not bad, the challenge I have is that our freeways are all at 75 MPH and with the top down it was hard to hear. Slow speeds are probably fine. Bass at any speed was not where I wanted it and why I added in an additional sub. As mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised at the clarity improvement at all speeds with the MB system.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
75 mph makes a big difference. I’m glad we don’t have that here, much more relaxing.
Sponsored