2020 Steering Feel

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2019 JLUR with stock tires/wheels is the same way as another noted.
Freeway driving is not too bad, because the minor left and right adjustments are not as noticeable (except on windy days), but when driving on a single lane narrow road, I find that I really have to pay attention to keep the Jeep going straight. There have been a few times where I was very close to going into the ditch next to the road if I didn't react within a second.

I had the improved Mopar steering stabilizer (recall) done last year and it improved, but not very much. So, I ordered and installed the Falcon 2.1 adjustable steering stabilizer and an "medium" setting it's still ok, still not as it should be. I still notice having to keep adjusting left and right on narrow streets, but not as much on freeway (except when it's windy). On the "Firm" setting it's ok on the freeway, but driving on any other road I find that I have to help the steering come back to center when I make a turn (it won't try to return), so the best setting seems to be "medium".

This shows inconsistency in the build quality and calibration of components. It seems no two Jeeps are built the same way. We've seen the same the frame weld quality. May be the dumb robots are the culprit (who knows).

We also have a 2019 Toyota 4 Runner and I have never noticed this issue on it. It's of course, a completely different setup.
Sponsored

tims94

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
My 2020 Rubi steering was horrible. You would be driving down the road and the thing would just track into the oncoming lane or off the road. You could never "just drive". You always had to be paying attention to the Jeep. This is my first Jeep, and I was really disappointed.
However, I saw a previous post and did what they said. I bought the LCA for lifted Jeeps, changed the caster to 6 degrees, and lowered tire pressure. It's a lot better to drive now.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
My 2020 Rubi steering was horrible. You would be driving down the road and the thing would just track into the oncoming lane or off the road. You could never "just drive". You always had to be paying attention to the Jeep. This is my first Jeep, and I was really disappointed.
Why did all of this happen to me in your Jeep?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Landcruiser does just fine. Saw this one lapping when I was there last October. I don't think the Wrangler would be quite as good :)

4U8A7149.JPG
Guess I'll have to sell my Jeep and buy that landcruiser so I can take it there then!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
2020 Recon here as well. The dealer said they swapped out the steering stabilizer before I bought it (even though it was built in 2/20 WAY after Jeep knew about the recall and was doing them), so I’d have assumed they put the right one in there from factory, but who knows. Steering feels good to me. Was a bit jumpy my first highway ride, but tires were at 44PSI. At 37 its great.

Now onto what appears to be my axle seal leaking after 3 weeks ... :facepalm:
Which tire are you running on your Recon John? Finding the right psi does seem to help.

Good luck with the axle seal.

-Steven

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Which tire are you running on your Recon John? Finding the right psi does seem to help.

Good luck with the axle seal.

-Steven
Mine has the OEM option BFG KO2 vs the falken muds. I was happy to find my Recon with this option. The stock KM2’s on my JKUR were loud and crappy in the rain.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
No, I just planned on living with it unless there’s an ez fix.

fwiw both are jlur with the k02s.
Thanks for the info. What trim level on the 20'?

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'll see if I can get LCA part numbers on mine. Information is key!

-Steven
I was able to get under the Jeep today and get a at look the LCA's.

Here's the part number that's on my 2020 Recon.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Steering Feel IMG_9954

As previously mentioned, my Jeep has great steering feel/feedback. Hope this helps.

-Steven

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
I'm finding it takes a bit to get used to the steering. I don't find any center play to speak of. I do find it is quick, with just a bit of input make it turn. I'm running stock tires. It does seem that road imperfections (grooves from traffic "ruts", seams in pavement, etc) will pull the Jeep on direction or another pretty easily, which I attribute to the wheel base and width, tire size, ride height, etc. Then.....there's also me who tends to steer with my left arm up on the window sill so any little bump causes me to move the steering wheel:facepalm:
Sponsored