2020 Steering Feel

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There's no switch. That's why I'm asking why can't it be done to the steering box? Other cars can do it, so why do we have to settle for one setting. Hoping someone comes up with an aftermarket steering box replacement.

The steering box in the JL is very manual.. you can change the settings playing around with the sector shaft adjustment screw (which I don't recommend), but in the days of improved electronics and mechanics, why do we still have to deal with such an archaic steering box?

Case and point, we can lock the differentials by pressing a button from inside, we no longer need to get out of the truck to turn the diff lock on the wheel hub. Same principle applies to the steering box, it should be adjustable. That's all I'm saying.
I know there's no switch, I'm just having fun with it bro. I'm sure its something they may modify in the future.
There is no switch because the JL doesn't have that feature.
YEA, I know there's no switch, I'm having a little fun with the topic. I can't believe you guys took me seriously.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The steering feel on my JLU is okay. I wouldn't describe it as the best by any stretch of the imagination.

As others have indicated, it is fine on freeway driving, but it gets tricky on narrow curvy roads. Any correction needs to be followed by a counter-correction.

It’s like driving my dad’s 1968 Dodge Coronet with over-boosted steering all over again...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I know there's no switch, I'm just having fun with it bro. I'm sure its something they may modify in the future.

YEA, I know there's no switch, I'm having a little fun with the topic. I can't believe you guys took me seriously.
It's so damn hot and humid today! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Lol

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's so damn hot and humid today! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Lol
Must be the weather, You guys in NY are usually quick to pick up on sarcasm considering that LI NY is the best at it. (Suffolk County Transplant here).

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Must be the weather, You guys in NY are usually quick to pick up on sarcasm considering that LI NY is the best at it. (Suffolk County Transplant here).
I saw your location and figured you were serious. ;)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Suffolk County here as well. Like everything else, sarcasm is now an illegal activity that we mustn't partake in. So again, there's no damn button!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Seems there are a couple of factors. First is that the steering hardware/design is different than most modern passenger cars so not surprising it would feel different. For those that have owned multiple jeeps, I consider their impressions more heavily as they have a point of reference. For someone coming from other cars or even trucks, can be hard to determine if there is an issue or it is just "they all do that."

Also curious how the percentages of those that cite steering problems breaks down over 2-door and 4-door, and any mods - particularly for newer owners. The short wheelbase of the 2-door combines with high CG and a boxy shape makes it way more sensitive to any winds. Anyone who has done lots of miles on a motorcycle knows the ride can be totally different depending on prevailing wind conditions.

When I first brought the JL home, I felt like I was doing a lot of steering. Now I'm used to how the vehicle reacts, and it is much less work. But it certainly has a different feel than my GTI. And that's...OK :like:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suffolk County here as well. Like everything else, sarcasm is now an illegal activity that we mustn't partake in. So again, there's no damn button!
OK, OK i get it there's no button But there's got to be a switch somewhere.

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My Recon is like yours and I love it.

As is *well-documented* on this site :), my ‘19 was a wandering, pulling, dead-spot mess that was a struggle to drive (like @Cthehentz). The difference between the two is remarkable.
I had my lift installed on Sunday and still wanders the same as it did in stock form, today I am going to check re-torque everything but also check the ball joints and adjust the caster.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I never took pics while doing the work. Partly because I did it outdoors during the winter, had a lot of ground to cover at once, and it was before I knew how easy it is to post pics here.

I also didn't do anything special. I'm just a firm believer in that lifting a vehicle requires an all or nothing approach. It's my further opinion that going the full distance is more important for the on road miles than it is for the off road.
I totally agree with your approach. Build it right and above all, don't un-engineer what Jeep did (unless it's sloppy steering:facepalm:).

With my previous JK build, I found it possible to improve the performance of suspension, steering and braking.

-Steven

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
As others have indicated, it is fine on freeway driving, but it gets tricky on narrow curvy roads.
Wait. Your Jeep doesn't handle well on narrow curvy roads? what a strange jeep. I was planning on taking mine to Nurburgring, guess I'll have to postpone that one.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Can you guys with the Rubicon 2020s that drive straight check the part number on your LCAs? I wonder if Jeep finally started using the correct LCAs for the Rubicons?
I'll see if I can get LCA part numbers on mine. Information is key!

-Steven
Sponsored