Sponsored

2020 JLUS S Brake Lock Diff

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Well, maybe I was wrong and part of the other thread is correct. I redid my test in 2wd and in both forward and reverse. In both cases with one wheel of the ground, the wrangler was able to move. The wheel off the ground never stopped turning but the Jeep did move.
From the manual:
Traction Control System (TCS)
TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the
driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, the TCS may
apply brake pressure to the spinning wheel(s) and/or
reduce engine power to provide enhanced acceleration
and stability. A feature of the TCS, Brake Limited
Differential (BLD) functions similarly to a limited slip
differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven
axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster
than the other, the system will apply the brake of the
spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be
applied to the wheel that is not spinning. BLD may
remain enabled even if TCS and Electronic Stability
Control (ESC) are in reduced modes

OP
OP
gutowscr471

gutowscr471

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Just did another test in 2wd in my driveway with a bottle jack. Passenger side rear free spins, few surges from driver rear then brakes hit passenger rear and Jeep moves forward.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Keep in mind that the description from the owner's manual basically states if can only apply so much torque to the wheel with traction. Just like a limited slip means it's "limited" and not a full locker. Pending on how the system is programmed it will only transfer so much torque. The fact it can transfer enough torque with one wheel off the ground to still move the vehicle is pretty impressive, but don't expect the same performance off-road as a true locker.
With that said, I would not want a full locker in the front for driving on snow covered or icy roads in which the 4wd is being used for enhanced handling. Yes, for really deep snow where you are going slow the locker will be nice but handling is pretty bad at any speed. I'm speaking from years of experience driving in snow and off-roading in general. I have 3 vehicles sitting in my garage with some sort of locker in the front. 2 of them are selectable lockers (like a Rubicon) and one is a full-time locker. I do not like driving the one with the full-time locker in 4wd down a slick road....when you turn the steering wheel it just wants to go straight.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The Brake Lock Differential programming, while objectively functional, is also comparatively modest in performance and shouldn't be viewed as a panacea. A limited slip differential on the rear axle is better and will meet the practical requirements of most drivers.

The two best things, and I speak from years of experience, are well-regarded 3PMSF winter tires (extra credit: studs) and precision focus on the conditions in which one is driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUS S Brake Lock Diff February

Sponsored

OP
OP
gutowscr471

gutowscr471

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
The Brake Lock Differential programming, while objectively functional, is also comparatively modest in performance and shouldn't be viewed as a panacea. A limited slip differential on the rear axle is better and will meet the practical requirements of most drivers.

The two best things, and I speak from years of experience, are well-regarded 3PMSF winter tires (extra credit: studs) and precision focus on the conditions in which one is driving.

Agree with your statements and have been looking at LSD for rear. Truetrac not available yet. Nitro gears is available for a reasonable price. Also trying to find details from dealer on stock lsd install (factory option). I’m impressed overall with how the BLD works and can help in bad situations. Just testing things out so I know my limitations with this JLUS.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Also trying to find details from dealer on stock lsd install (factory option).
Post the dealer quote if or when you get one, please. Family members are curious about that very thing. TIA.

OP
OP
gutowscr471

gutowscr471

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Post the dealer quote if or when you get one, please. Family members are curious about that very thing. TIA.
@Heimkehr Local dealer just called me back. The factory LSD has 3:73 gears which means I need to change my front also. They recommend for non-ruibicons, just doing a LSD in the front also with 3:73 gears vs re-gearing existing. Just for parts they want $505 for rear and $400 for front. I’m a little suspicious as I haven’t seen front LSD as an option that I recall.
Don’t have service install prices just yet.

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Double check those ratios, I have the factory LSD and it’s 3.45, same as the open diff. 3.73 was an option on JKs, don’t think it has been offered on the JL.

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S

Running studded winter tires and a soft top simultaneously. You are a true cold climate Jeeper. :like: 🌨

Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
Double check those ratios, I have the factory LSD and it’s 3.45, same as the open diff. 3.73 was an option on JKs, don’t think it has been offered on the JL.
Same here, unless they added an upgrade gear for lsd

OP
OP
gutowscr471

gutowscr471

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
3.73 is an option on a JL build but doesn’t say LSD or not. I’m going to call another dealer. I thought the LSD was 3.45, thanks for confirming.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind a lot of folks do not know how to use the BLD when they have a loss of traction. It requires a CONSISTENT throttle, not slammin’ and jammin’ on the skinny pedal that you see folks do in a lot of off road videos. That doesn’t allow the TCS/BLD to kick in. Just give it moderate steady throttle and give it a chance to kick in.

I had a Sport before my Rubicon. With that Sport, I sometimes was able to traverse obstacles that Rubicons got hung up on. I picked my lines and patiently waited for the BLD while holding consistent throttle.
Sponsored