2020 JL 2.0 overheating

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL 2.0 overheating A2E40D5D-86CF-489A-9982-934E9FB419C6

This is my 2020 Jeep JL with the 2.0 turbo engine and 13,708 miles. It has been rock solid until today. Without warning it started to overheat. I couldn’t find a leak but I could smell antifreeze. The reservoir has sufficient fluid and I was unable to find a leak. Well I used the Mopar app and requested a tow truck to take it to the dealership. Of course it being a Saturday I won’t know anything until Monday. I hope this isn’ta sign from above that I should have gone with the 3.6.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
3.6 engines have cooling problems too.

If yours is the etorque configuration you will have three cooling systems. If not then just 2. Multiple reservoirs. It's all under warranty. Try not to stress.
Oh I’m not stressing. This is my fifth Jeep so I’m used to break downs. LOL My concerns are with an unproven engine. But after test driving it I was hooked on its pep. This thing will scoot. The torque is impressive and mpg around town 24. Got 28 driving it to Ohio over summer. As of this year etorque isn’t an option with the 2.0. If it had been I would have gone with the 3.6 for sure.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I’m not stressing. This is my fifth Jeep so I’m used to break downs. LOL My concerns are with an unproven engine. But after test driving it I was hooked on its pep. This thing will scoot. The torque is impressive and mpg around town 24. Got 28 driving it to Ohio over summer. As of this year etorque isn’t an option with the 2.0. If it had been I would have gone with the 3.6 for sure.
I wouldn't describe it as "unproven." If its good enough for Alfa Romeo and Maserati then our Wranglers should be able to get by on it.

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
These hoods and grilles don't allow sufficient airflow. Install a vented hood or vented grille and overheating issues go away.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
These hoods and grilles don't allow sufficient airflow. Install a vented hood or vented grille and overheating issues go away.
That’s not his issue - it just showed up. He has a mechanical failure of some type. I drove my 2.0l in summer heat all last summer...never an overheating issue. Overheating does not appear to be a widespread issue on the 2.0.

OP
OP
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan

This is my 2020 Jeep JL with the 2.0 turbo engine and 13,708 miles. It has been rock solid until today. Without warning it started to overheat. I couldn’t find a leak but I could smell antifreeze. The reservoir has sufficient fluid and I was unable to find a leak. Well I used the Mopar app and requested a tow truck to take it to the dealership. Of course it being a Saturday I won’t know anything until Monday. I hope this isn’ta sign from above that I should have gone with the 3.6.
Update 11-30-20
Carried dealer this morning to mage sure they knew why it was towed there and glad I did. Tow company left no indicating what problem was. That was at 830 am. At noon I called back and sore to Ron ,service coordinator, and he had no idea if anything had been found. At 445i called again and again Ron knew nothing.

OP
OP
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
Update 11-30-20
Carried dealer this morning to mage sure they knew why it was towed there and glad I did. Tow company left no indicating what problem was. That was at 830 am. At noon I called back and sore to Ron ,service coordinator, and he had no idea if anything had been found. At 445i called again and again Ron knew nothing.
Update 11-30
No one from dealership knows anything about my Jeep or can tell me anything about my Jeep. Jeep Cares is now involved

OP
OP
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
Final update 12-1-20
Today at 12:53 pm EST I called Jeep service department and spoke to Ron and he informed me he has tried to call me twice to let me know my Jeep was fixed. No missed calls on my phone. He said it was ready. Problem was Inlet coolant tube fasteners we're not holding. They had worked loose and they removed then they had properly torqued new ones. I still love this engine and the overall performance of my JL. Between the 3.6 and 2.0 I just preferred the torque performance of the 2.0.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck, glad it was fixed. Hopefully you don’t continue to have any further issues.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Upwardhorizons9
Glad to read that the diagnosis and repair reconciles to the observed symptoms. Always a good sign, IMO. :like:

Was your Wrangler towed with one end elevated and the other not? I thought these vehicles could be flat towed, or transported on a rollback, but never via a traditional tow truck (as your picture suggests.) Just curious.

OP
OP
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
@Upwardhorizons9
Glad to read that the diagnosis and repair reconciles to the observed symptoms. Always a good sign, IMO. :like:

Was your Wrangler towed with one end elevated and the other not? I thought these vehicles could be flat towed, or transported on a rollback, but never via a traditional tow truck (as your picture suggests.) Just curious.
Jeeps are traditionally a rear wheel drive vehicle unless 4 wheel drive is engaged so it can be towed as long as the rear wheels are suspended or flat towed if transfer case is placed in neutral or it can be flatbed towed.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island

I think the "Psychic Reader" sign in front of the jeep is some sort of message. Give them a call and see what they say.
Sponsored