Sponsored

2019 vs 2020 (engine/interior/steering comparison)

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
Well, I've had my 2020 for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd write a comparison on some things coming from someone who's actually owned different configurations now.
2019 was a JLUR with tan leather and the 4 cyl with eTorque.
2020 is a JLUR with aftermarket "Mopar" leather and 6 cyl.

I'll do the engine comparison first since that's a big topic I see discussed on here a lot.
The 4 cyl with eTorque had a lot more instant power available and honestly "drove" better, but was very buzzy/rattly and you always heard it working. Even with as horrible as it sounded, I was debating going with it again for 2020 because it drove so much better, but when they no longer offered it for the JLUR in 2020 (4 cyl available, but not with eTourqe), I decided to give the 6 cyl a try.
Even though the 6 cyl definitely doesn't have as much grunt and I'm getting 3-4 MPG worse than the 4 cyl, I honestly have to say I like the 6 cyl better overall. It still drives fine and is SO MUCH QUIETER than the 4 cyl. No more rattling/buzzing all the time. Just a slight growl and/or intake noise when you have to get on it.
In summary, the 4 cyl drives better, with better MPG, but I just couldn't stand the sound, so the quiet smoothness of the 6 cyl outweighs the extra torque of the 4 cyl. In my opinion anyway.

As for the interior option comparison, when you do the "Mopar" aftermarket leather (I did the black "stitched" leather), you essentially get reverted back to "cloth" interior and then they add the leather. This means you don't get the little bit of leather on the dash or on the ebrake handle, neither of which I even notice. However, you also lose the fold down armrest in the back seat and you end up with the dash panel in red instead of gray like when you choose the tan factory leather option. I don't sit in the back seat and the color of the dash isn't a big deal to me either. For a comparison of the actual leather seating surfaces, I have to say the aftermarket leather is MUCH nicer and even feel more comfortable. Maybe it's the "stitched' pattern, but in addition to the leather being softer, the seats actually feel like they have more padding. An odd thing I also noticed is that the interior door handle on my 2020 is smaller. I keep a pack of smokes and a lighter in the door handle hole and they fit with no issue in the 2019, but not in the 2020. I don't know if this was change across the board in 2020, or if it has to do with factory leather or not.

Finally, the lovely steering issues. My 2019 had sloppy steering with a big dead spot that caused it to wander, but there was death wobble. As I continued to drive it (about 12k miles), the steering got a little tighter, but the wobble was starting to show itself. I never took it in for any of the recalls because of mixed reviews, the fact that the closest dealership to me absolutely sucks, and that I knew my 2020 would be here soon. Well, the steering has NOT been fixed on the 2020. In fact, the wandering is WORSE than on my 2019. It's seriously spooky to drive. I don't know how they've had this issue since day one and still haven't fixed on the 2020's yet. We'll see if the 2020 follows the same path of less wander and more wobble as time goes on. Honestly, if the steering doesn't tighten up some, I'm going to have to take it in and have them start throwing parts at it because it's so bad. It's so bad, my wife won't even drive the thing as it is now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Interesting comparison 2019/2020. Thanks for sharing. About your steering... :movember: What tire pressure are you running?

OP
OP

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
Running 34psi cold. Same thing I took the 2019 down to, which definitely helps compared to the 42+ they put in it before delivery, but it's still really bad on the 2020.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Running 34psi cold. Same thing I took the 2019 down to, which definitely helps compared to the 42+ they put in it before delivery, but it's still really bad on the 2020.
My '18 has never had any trouble, fantastic steering in my opinion. However, before fighting a dealer or swapping parts, try running 30-32 psi for a few weeks just for comparison. May or may not help, but worth a try

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It is disappointing to read of 2020s with bad steering. No, it is *not* a Jeep thing when it wanders badly.
I always wonder why people have allowed Jeep to get away with poor design and execution with the excuse...It’s a Jeep thing. If you can fix a problem with aftermarket parts, it’s not a Jeep thing, it’s poor design. It started with the CJ and has continued in every generation, so you can’t even really blame FCA.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have no research to back this up so it's just a thought ok - just wondering if the Rubicon has more steering issues due to it's special suspension that isn't on the Sport S (that I have). I had some steering issues at first, felt like it was always needing to be corrected than you over-correct, lather-rinse-repeat. I checked and dropped the tires down from 47 psi to 34 and it was amazingly better. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably do the Synergy track bar and bracket thing plus a Fox steering stabilizer. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed right.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I have no research to back this up so it's just a thought ok - just wondering if the Rubicon has more steering issues due to it's special suspension that isn't on the Sport S (that I have). right.
Not sure if this problem is specific to the Rubicon as we have one with OEM tires and suspension. Our steering is tight with near zero play and near zero wander. So the problem seems to be specific to the vehicle manufactured. Unfortunately many have reported this problem so FCA def needs to get this properly sorted out.

Fortunately we took ours home for an extended on and off-road test drive before we purchased it. The dealer offered to take it onto a steep rocky singletrack plus over a heavily rutted gravel road - so we said for sure. That alone sold the vehicle. Taking it home just confirmed how good the Rubi drove on-road as well.

But to the OP and others with this problem - hope you all get this sorted asap.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
Unfortunately I don't have a 2019 to compare to but my 2020 JLUR doesn't appear to have any steering issues. Not yet at least. A bit of play yes but I did anticipate that. Comparing to my brother's lowered G37s, this drives just fine when you consider the height, tire size, solid axle, etc. I'm wondering if this has more to do with quality control than design?

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I would really love the opportunity to drive one of these "so dangerous women can't drive it" Jeeps to compare it to mine. Not directed at the OP but I'll bet one persons "sloppy steering" is another persons "seems fine to me". Not in all cases of course.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just curious? Are the tires the same KO2s for both the '19 and '20?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My 2020 steering is about as perfect as can be. It is responsive and doesn’t wander. I have zero issues. 70 mph on the freeway in a cross wind..... does it drive like a sedan? Hell no. Is it “scary white knuckle” to drive? Hell no. It drives fine. My wife drives it. No issues.

hopefully it all stays this way. Time will tell.

I don’t have any comparisons to “bad” sterling vehicles..... I went to the dealer, they had the exact Jeep I wanted, I test drove it (at freeway speeds) to make sure I liked it and I bought it. Nothing to compare to. I would find it interesting to drive one of the Jeeps that folks say is giving them issues to see how it compares to mine.......

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would really love the opportunity to drive one of these "so dangerous women can't drive it" Jeeps to compare it to mine. Not directed at the OP but I'll bet one persons "sloppy steering" is another persons "seems fine to me". Not in all cases of course.
I would too. I also have a 01 F250 with 230K miles that is somewhat tiring to drive (kind of like stirring soup) but not what I'd call dangerous. The JLUR drives better than my truck but not as nice as our 13 Gen 5 Explorer.

I'm sure there are Jeeps with really bad steering, but I also think theres a level of tolerance involved too with others.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I'm wondering if this has more to do with quality control than design?
That was my initial suspicion - as it’s clear not all JLs have that problem. My wife actually loves driving the JL off-road as she can beat it up going full speed and not worry the alignment is going to go out of whack. After repeated punishment it tracks and steers perfect. So something must be up with the problem units.

If ours had the dreaded DW or as much slop as some note - would be major pissed and back at the dealer to get it fixed pronto. That seems to be problem with some JLs bought on order. No test drive. Would think it would be a good idea and normal to have a “subject to” clause in the sales agreement in those circumstances.
Sponsored