Sponsored

DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I finally received my 2021 Granite Crystal Metallic 2dr Rubicon about 5 days ago and has been putting on line about 150 miles so far!! I traded in my one and half years old 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic 2 Dr Sport S (both custom built) when I picked up the new ride.

Most of you know that I was unfortunate to have the clicking problem on my rear differentials. It is not a big deal (at least I don't think so but it is driving me crazy). I took it back to get it fixed but it always come back 3 months after. And then I joined this forum which is like the most awesome forum EVER but the discussion here are SO HARD CORE that I keep on learning all the things that I need to learn about Jeep Wrangler. Over a period of a month and half of reading the discussions here, I am like feeling really INADEQUATE - its like how could all the people know what to get and why I did not get these features on my Jeep. It was an eye opener with yearning for all the spiffy Jeepy part that others have.

And my Jeep was clicking - which is driving me crazy and I could not upgrade my Jeep with all the spiffy toys that the others have here - so what a man to do? Might as well as bite the bullet and just get a new Jeep and this time - I will be doing it RIGHT!!! Yeah! :like:

So here is my spanking new 2021 Rubicon 2dr - which looks almost identical to my old 2019 Sport S - hopefully this time without the clicking sound.

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 64657

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 64658

This are the configurations:

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 092320-rubiconconfi

My thoughts on the new Jeep compared to my trade in 2019 Jeep. I don't know if this is because I am driving Rubicon - I know that Rubicon are different in a few ways but here are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • When I first climb on it - I was quite surprised to "feel" how much higher it is.
  • Test drive - Rubicon have a tighter control when it comes to maneuvering - I tested it on country road and then on the highway. It has a smoother ride.
  • The 8.4 Premium Audio Group - screen wise is way more sharper (higher resolution?) than the then technology group with 7" screen.
  • There are way more customized apps and features for the 8.4 screen. One of the thing that I really like is the mirror imaging feature - I tested it quickly and will get into detail when I get a chance because I am running on an Android OS and I am really interested in the integration between my phone and my ride.
  • The backup camera is way clearer and sharper!!! It is such a big difference between the one on the 7" screen.
  • The ride is smoother and less bumpy!
  • In my opinion, The LED light is a must have!! It makes a whole lot difference in driving at night as the light are whiter (can I say that?) and that makes the road clearer.
  • It accelerates really well - but I did not enjoy the whirring sound that comes from the acceleration (more on that below)
  • The Alpine Sound System is WAAAAAY louder than my old Jeep - I mean like WAY LOUDER and clearer. I was quite surprised at how loud it was - with my old Jeep I like to listen at the volume of 22 (yes I know it is loud) but I get the same loudness at volume of 14 with the new Jeep. And the sound quality is definitely clearer!
  • ESS on 2.0 Turbo engine is way quiet than the regular 3.6.

Cons:
  • I did not do my homework on the 2.0L Turbo Engine and sometimes during acceleration especially on the higher speed - there is this whirring sound that is really annoying!! I thought that my Jeep was faulty (oh no - not again!!) upon driving home but after reading the posting about Turbo engine, I guess it is something that I have to deal with. I have acute hearing - and sometimes when I am not turning any music on or when I am driving with the windows open, the whirring sound from the turbo engine still bugs me.
  • I hate ESS (as many of you know - I raged on it) but for some reason the ESS is not as pronounced on the new Jeep. It is not as loud nor it is as pronounced when it is stopping and starting. Quite smooth in matter a fact. But I always turn it off because I get real sensitive when ESS kicks in!
  • Rock Rail vs Step Rail - I still could not decide. I know that being a 2 Dr it is harder for my dogs to climb to the back without the Step Rail, and getting into the Jeep requires a bit more effort especially that I am a big guy and my knee touches the steering wheel (even when I set the wheel higher)

I am sure that there are more - but overall I am very happy with my Rubicon.

Here is a shoutout to Alex Musumeci at Suresky Jeep in Goshen, NY for being the most amazing sales person ever. I did a research on getting it from other long distance dealership that was recommended by many people here, but I had the best experience with Alex. Cost Benefit - it is almost like zero sum game if you have to travel a lot to Maryland and Virginia to get your jeep just for a few percent discount - but Alex is able to give you the best price around the tri-state area. And this guy is super diligent, straight to the point, no BS and he is very direct with me. Some stupid dealership offer me 22K for my one year and half Jeep, even the popular dealership from the forum here offers an estimate of $25K - but Alex checked my VIN and he said that based on my VIN they can do 27.5K. And that is what I got when I trade in my ride. Very serious young guy who knows what he is doing. I ordered the Jeep on July 1st and it was delivered to the dealership on 9/12 which I went to pick it up a week later. Everything, price, specs are the same as what was quoted initially. I was also surprised that they only asked for $500 deposit to start the buying/building process. Their finance department are very helpful and down to earth - I told them what I want and they respect it and don't do further pushing. I think Alex and his team know that people that bought thru the internet are educated consumer and we know the best price. While the other dealership charged you a high documentation fees or requires you to finance to get higher percentage off the invoice price (say 7%) - I got straight 4% below invoice with no clause, the documentation fee in NY is capped at $75 and there is a plate fees (which all dealership would charge) is a direct transfer from the company that they work with. Best experience ever! They were helpful in showing me the features of the Jeep and then gave me a $25 Quickchek gift card where I can top up my Jeep with some gas (or buy lunch) from the nearby QuickChek store. I was beyond delighted. I highly recommend that you check Alex out if you are close to the tri-state area. Everything was done via emails and phone call - and our initial meeting was the day when I pick up my Jeep! :like:

I am going to dress up my new Rubicon with the same decals from my old Jeep. It is going to be my V.2 Jurassic Park/World Jeep!!

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 52054

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 56065

And to all the AMAZING, wonderful fellow Jeepers here! I can NEVER EVER thank you enough for being here for me. I asked a lot of questions - some of them are super silly - and you guys provide all the information that I needed! And you do it with so much care and love. Thank you thank you thank you so much. I love you guys (and gals) and truly appreciate you. Words cannot define how thankful I am for you. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Was your previous 2 Door a 3.6 with Automatic or a 2.0 Turbo? If it was a 3.6 Automatic, I can appreciate some feedback from you. Currently I have a 2020 JLUR with 3.6 and 8 speed.

Wifey and I have slowly started looking for a second Jeep. It will be a Base Sport Model with just a Hardtop, 8 Spd Auto, Tube Steps and Tinted Windows. What we are uncertain about is whether we want the 2 door or a 4 door. I want the 4 door as it gives more room and I drive around a lot for work throughout the North East from Long Island. She wants a 2 Door because she likes smaller vehicles as she finds them easier to drive plus the 2 door is slightly cheaper. Jury is still out there in regards to what we will do. But pretty sure we will be able to figure that out quickly.

The other thing I am uncertain about is whether to get a 2.0 Turbo or the 3.6 Pentastar with eTorque. My current JLUR has the 3.6 Pentastar without eTorque and I have no complaints about it. I have driven the 2018 and 2019 2.0 Turbo and really like it's fun factor over the Pentastar. But it's long term reliability is not established yet (although there have been no recalls so far which is a very good sign). Trying to get feedback from somebody who have dailied both the 3.6 Pentastar and the 2.0 Turbo JL models to at least help me decide which Engine option to get while wifey and I handle the 2 door vs 4 door debate.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Was your previous 2 Door a 3.6 with Automatic or a 2.0 Turbo? If it was a 3.6 Automatic, I can appreciate some feedback from you. Currently I have a 2020 JLUR with 3.6 and 8 speed.

Wifey and I have slowly started looking for a second Jeep. It will be a Base Sport Model with just a Hardtop, 8 Spd Auto, Tube Steps and Tinted Windows. What we are uncertain about is whether we want the 2 door or a 4 door. I want the 4 door as it gives more room and I drive around a lot for work throughout the North East from Long Island. She wants a 2 Door because she likes smaller vehicles as she finds them easier to drive plus the 2 door is slightly cheaper. Jury is still out there in regards to what we will do. But pretty sure we will be able to figure that out quickly.

The other thing I am uncertain about is whether to get a 2.0 Turbo or the 3.6 Pentastar with eTorque. My current JLUR has the 3.6 Pentastar without eTorque and I have no complaints about it. I have driven the 2018 and 2019 2.0 Turbo and really like it's fun factor over the Pentastar. But it's long term reliability is not established yet (although there have been no recalls so far which is a very good sign). Trying to get feedback from somebody who have dailied both the 3.6 Pentastar and the 2.0 Turbo JL models to at least help me decide which Engine option to get while wifey and I handle the 2 door vs 4 door debate.
Hey PNY! Good to hear from you - well this is my honest opinion. I ordered my old Jeep with 3.6 Pentastar based on the same reasoning as yours - it is a more reliable engine that has been proven through time and it does drive like my other vehicle. I have no problem with it. With the 2.0 engine - even after driving it for five days, I can say that it is smoother however the occasional whirring sound bugs the socks off of me (and still sorta although I am starting to get used to it). So if 2.0 handled well through time, I believe that I can deal with the whirring sound (maybe I will get used to it) but the ride is definitely smoother with 2.0. And the acceleration is actually better ALTHOUGH again it whirs sometimes - but I think that is something that came with the turbo engine. I was highly recommended by friends to get the Turbo engine (and also based on the discussion here on the forum).

My opinion on the 2 doors - for me Jeep will always be two doors, I don't have kids, I have two dogs and it is my secondary fun ride. However, I would like to warn you in advance about having two doors vs four especially when it comes to having pets. If you are going to use the back seats, know that you will NOT have space to put anything at the back (even though there is some space at the back - it is minuscule.) When I decided to go shopping say with my 2 door Jeep, I usually don't bring my dogs because I would have to put my shopping in front of the back seats and those areas are NOT easily accessible (unless you go topless). I usually fold up my back seats in order to put my shopping/groceries in. So if your wifey wants to go shopping with more than one friend - don't get a 2 door because you will not have space to put any thing especially if you have someone sitting at the back. 2 doors is a fun ride - indeed - but it is not practical for more than two people - especially with luggage on.

I am planning a road trip and are still doing research on it - with my two dogs its easier as they can sit on the back seat and if I plan conservatively I can put my luggage in the front of the back seat - or if I can get a malleable bag - such as a small duffel bag, I can put it at the back. Or I will most prolly have to get a hitch.

I have no regret - to me 2dr Jeep is the fun on the go as opposed to 4 doors which are more like regular SUV. I highly doubt that I will get a 4 door period but again this is my secondary ride.

And the cost factor is like a differences of - what 2-3 K? Hope I helped. Cheers! :like:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Hey PNY! Good to hear from you - well this is my honest opinion. I ordered my old Jeep with 3.6 Pentastar based on the same reasoning as yours - it is a more reliable engine that has been proven through time and it does drive like my other vehicle. I have no problem with it. With the 2.0 engine - even after driving it for five days, I can say that it is smoother however the occasional whirring sound bugs the socks off of me (and still sorta although I am starting to get used to it). So if 2.0 handled well through time, I believe that I can deal with the whirring sound (maybe I will get used to it) but the ride is definitely smoother with 2.0. And the acceleration is actually better ALTHOUGH again it whirs sometimes - but I think that is something that came with the turbo engine. I was highly recommended by friends to get the Turbo engine (and also based on the discussion here on the forum).

My opinion on the 2 doors - for me Jeep will always be two doors, I don't have kids, I have two dogs and it is my secondary fun ride. However, I would like to warn you in advance about having two doors vs four especially when it comes to having pets. If you are going to use the back seats, know that you will NOT have space to put anything at the back (even though there is some space at the back - it is minuscule.) When I decided to go shopping say with my 2 door Jeep, I usually don't bring my dogs because I would have to put my shopping in front of the back seats and those areas are NOT easily accessible (unless you go topless). I usually fold up my back seats in order to put my shopping/groceries in. So if your wifey wants to go shopping with more than one friend - don't get a 2 door because you will not have space to put any thing especially if you have someone sitting at the back. 2 doors is a fun ride - indeed - but it is not practical for more than two people - especially with luggage on.

I am planning a road trip and are still doing research on it - with my two dogs its easier as they can sit on the back seat and if I plan conservatively I can put my luggage in the front of the back seat - or if I can get a malleable bag - such as a small duffel bag, I can put it at the back. Or I will most prolly have to get a hitch.

I have no regret - to me 2dr Jeep is the fun on the go as opposed to 4 doors which are more like regular SUV. I highly doubt that I will get a 4 door period but again this is my secondary ride.

And the cost factor is like a differences of - what 2-3 K? Hope I helped. Cheers! :like:
Thanks. We will probably go with the 4 door option as well since plan is to have two kids total in the future. Its about 2 to 3k more but well worth it. That for us is a small debate.

the bigger debate is whether to get the 3.6 or the 2.0. At one point even an Ecodiesel was on the map because of the amount of highway driving i will be doing once the COVID restrictions lift. But we removed that off the list after seeing some posts on this website. 6 speed manual was also on the list with the 3.6 but the recall earlier this year kind of dented our confidence in that one (what is the guarantee there wont be more issues down the road for example). The 8 speed is also considered the best Automatic transmission in the business I heard right now. So now deciding on the 2.0 or the 3.6 after narrowing it down. Neither option is very bad; just a matter of costs vs efficiency for us at this point. If there are no recalls on the 2.0 within the next 6 to 9 months, that maybe the engine of choice for us as the 3.6 with eTorque and an 8 speed is a $3k adder versus the $1.5k for the Turbo 4 with an 8 speed and no eTorque. Cost has to make sense at the end of the day.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I finally received my 2021 Granite Crystal Metallic 2dr Rubicon about 5 days ago and has been putting on line about 150 miles so far!! I traded in my one and half years old 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic 2 Dr Sport S (both custom built) when I picked up the new ride.

Most of you know that I was unfortunate to have the clicking problem on my rear differentials. It is not a big deal (at least I don't think so but it is driving me crazy). I took it back to get it fixed but it always come back 3 months after. And then I joined this forum which is like the most awesome forum EVER but the discussion here are SO HARD CORE that I keep on learning all the things that I need to learn about Jeep Wrangler. Over a period of a month and half of reading the discussions here, I am like feeling really INADEQUATE - its like how could all the people know what to get and why I did not get these features on my Jeep. It was an eye opener with yearning for all the spiffy Jeepy part that others have.

And my Jeep was clicking - which is driving me crazy and I could not upgrade my Jeep with all the spiffy toys that the others have here - so what a man to do? Might as well as bite the bullet and just get a new Jeep and this time - I will be doing it RIGHT!!! Yeah! :like:

So here is my spanking new 2021 Rubicon 2dr - which looks almost identical to my old 2019 Sport S - hopefully this time without the clicking sound.

View attachment 373223

View attachment 373256

This are the configurations:

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 56065

My thoughts on the new Jeep compared to my trade in 2019 Jeep. I don't know if this is because I am driving Rubicon - I know that Rubicon are different in a few ways but here are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • When I first climb on it - I was quite surprised to "feel" how much higher it is.
  • Test drive - Rubicon have a tighter control when it comes to maneuvering - I tested it on country road and then on the highway. It has a smoother ride.
  • The 8.4 Premium Audio Group - screen wise is way more sharper (higher resolution?) than the then technology group with 7" screen.
  • There are way more customized apps and features for the 8.4 screen. One of the thing that I really like is the mirror imaging feature - I tested it quickly and will get into detail when I get a chance because I am running on an Android OS and I am really interested in the integration between my phone and my ride.
  • The backup camera is way clearer and sharper!!! It is such a big difference between the one on the 7" screen.
  • The ride is smoother and less bumpy!
  • In my opinion, The LED light is a must have!! It makes a whole lot difference in driving at night as the light are whiter (can I say that?) and that makes the road clearer.
  • It accelerates really well - but I did not enjoy the whirring sound that comes from the acceleration (more on that below)
  • The Alpine Sound System is WAAAAAY louder than my old Jeep - I mean like WAY LOUDER and clearer. I was quite surprised at how loud it was - with my old Jeep I like to listen at the volume of 22 (yes I know it is loud) but I get the same loudness at volume of 14 with the new Jeep. And the sound quality is definitely clearer!

Cons:
  • I did not do my homework on the 2.0L Turbo Engine and sometimes during acceleration especially on the higher speed - there is this whirring sound that is really annoying!! I thought that my Jeep was faulty (oh no - not again!!) upon driving home but after reading the posting about Turbo engine, I guess it is something that I have to deal with. I have acute hearing - and sometimes when I am not turning any music on or when I am driving with the windows open, the whirring sound from the turbo engine still bugs me.
  • I hate ESS (as many of you know - I raged on it) but for some reason the ESS is not as pronounced on the new Jeep. It is not as loud nor it is as pronounced when it is stopping and starting. Quite smooth in matter a fact. But I always turn it off because I get real sensitive when ESS kicks in!
  • Rock Rail vs Step Rail - I still could not decide. I know that being a 2 Dr it is harder for my dogs to climb to the back without the Step Rail, and getting into the Jeep requires a bit more effort especially that I am a big guy and my knee touches the steering wheel (even when I set the wheel higher)

I am sure that there are more - but overall I am very happy with my Rubicon.

Here is a shoutout to Alex Musumeci at Suresky Jeep in Goshen, NY for being the most amazing sales person ever. I did a research on getting it from other long distance dealership that was recommended by many people here, but I had the best experience with Alex. Cost Benefit - it is almost like zero sum game if you have to travel a lot to Maryland and Virginia to get your jeep just for a few percent discount - but Alex is able to give you the best price around the tri-state area. And this guy is super diligent, straight to the point, no BS and he is very direct with me. Some stupid dealership offer me 22K for my one year and half Jeep, even the popular dealership from the forum here offers an estimate of $25K - but Alex checked my VIN and he said that based on my VIN they can do 27.5K. And that is what I got when I trade in my ride. Very serious young guy who knows what he is doing. I ordered the Jeep on July 1st and it was delivered to the dealership on 9/12 which I went to pick it up a week later. Everything, price, specs are the same as what was quoted initially. I was also surprised that they only asked for $500 deposit to start the buying/building process. Their finance department are very helpful and down to earth - I told them what I want and they respect it and don't do further pushing. I think Alex and his team know that people that bought thru the internet are educated consumer and we know the best price. While the other dealership charged you a high documentation fees or requires you to finance to get higher percentage off the invoice price (say 7%) - I got straight 4% below invoice with no clause, the documentation fee in NY is capped at $75 and there is a plate fees (which all dealership would charge) is a direct transfer from the company that they work with. Best experience ever! They were helpful in showing me the features of the Jeep and then gave me a $25 Quickchek gift card where I can top up my Jeep with some gas (or buy lunch) from the nearby QuickChek store. I was beyond delighted. I highly recommend that you check Alex out if you are close to the tri-state area. Everything was done via emails and phone call - and our initial meeting was the day when I pick up my Jeep! :like:

I am going to dress up my new Rubicon with the same decals from my old Jeep. It is going to be my V.2 Jurassic Park/World Jeep!!

And to all the AMAZING, wonderful fellow Jeepers here! I can NEVER EVER thank you enough for being here for me. I asked a lot of questions - some of them are super silly - and you guys provide all the information that I needed! And you do it with so much care and love. Thank you thank you thank you so much. I love you guys (and gals) and truly appreciate you. Words cannot define how thankful I am for you. :like:
Congratulations, Ken! It looks amazing! :party::champagne::like:

Sponsored

Kingcobra501

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Definitely get the e-torque, it helps immensely with ESS. The only people that complain about it are people without ESS

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Definitely get the e-torque, it helps immensely with ESS. The only people that complain about it are people without ESS
I turn my ESS off everytime I get in my Jeep. It has become second nature to me.

I am open to the eTorque as it is backed by a lifetime warranty per Federal Laws. But that $3k adder gets me. Also, Hoping the system is reliable. So far the RAM 1500 owners have not complained so that is good.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
the bigger debate is whether to get the 3.6 or the 2.0. At one point even an Ecodiesel was on the map because of the amount of highway driving i will be doing once the COVID restrictions lift.
PNY - my two cents - if you are worried about 2.0 engine being new and does not have enough track record - then I would recommend against Ecodiesel. I was waiting for diesel ride since 2019 because I thought that I could get more power but from my friends that is running on diesel, they said that maintenance is a PITA. Unless you want to take time to make sure that your diesel car is properly maintained - you are essentially working with an engine that would give you a problem in the long run (I am no expert but that was what quoted to me by friends). Also if I recall properly, I think you can only get diesel on 4 doors Jeep.

I turn my ESS off everytime I get in my Jeep. It has become second nature to me.
Yep - I was quite surprised at how quiet the ESS is compared to the 3.6. It is almost I did not hear it or feel it shut down - there was a very slight shudder when the engine started as opposed to my previous Jeep with 3.6 where you know when the engine shuts down (awwwww whatta letdown) and then started up again. Quite nerve racking if you ask me.

However just like PNY - I push the ignition button on and my hand automatically push the ESS off. It has become a habit. No ESS for me. I hate that I am forced to deal with ESS everytime I start my car.

Congratulations, Ken! It looks amazing! :party::champagne::like:
Thank you Mike! As always I appreciate you for being who you are. :like:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The 2 door is great for a couple. For pets leave the back seat out and load them through the tailgate. My backseat is in the basement in storage and will be as long as we own the jeep. The 2.0 is an incredible engine and mine is giving me mpg’s i never thought possible in a Jeep.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The 2 door is great for a couple. For pets leave the back seat out and load them through the tailgate. My backseat is in the basement in storage and will be as long as we own the jeep. The 2.0 is an incredible engine and mine is giving me mpg’s i never thought possible in a Jeep.
Probably a 4 door for me. The Jeep will triple as our daily driver plus long work trips plus (future) soccer mom.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Congratulations!

I noticed the backup camera picture is better—clearer and more colorful—on my ‘20 than my ‘19.

Since yours is a ‘21, you have the new steel steering gear, which can account for the better handling. There have been many reports of improved steering with the new box.

I don’t notice engine whirring noises in my 2.0. I do love driving it! It’s a great engine.

For me, the four door has worked out much better for my husband, doodle, and I (no kids at home). Dakota is comfortable in the back seat in her hammock and we have room for beach stuff in the back.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Congratulations!

I noticed the backup camera picture is better—clearer and more colorful—on my ‘20 than my ‘19.

Since yours is a ‘21, you have the new steel steering gear, which can account for the better handling. There have been many reports of improved steering with the new box.

I don’t notice engine whirring noises in my 2.0. I do love driving it! It’s a great engine.

For me, the four door has worked out much better for my husband, doodle, and I (no kids at home). Dakota is comfortable in the back seat in her hammock and we have room for beach stuff in the back.
Julie!! Thanks a lot! No whirring sound???? Hmmm!!! I need to get my ears check. I did not know that they have new steel steering gear - which most probably explain why it is so much easier to maneuver (I thought that my steering wheel were a bit too loose) Thanks for the clarification.

Yes to the backup camera. A big difference from the old 2019 Sport S as compared to this new Rubi - it is really clear. Totally understandable about the room at the back of your JLU to carry more stuff. There are many pros (and cons) of owning a two doors vs four doors, and it is just that I could never ever imagine driving a four door Jeep. To me - even when I wish that there are more space to put things away (especially when I have two dogs) - I am super happy with my 2 doors Jeep. It is my fun ride - my err... how do I say this - my toy car? and while I am planning to take this baby off trail sometimes soon - it is not a substitute to my main ride, rather - it complements my need - the main ride is practical and 2 door Jeep is fun (we had so much fun this summer driving with the top off and now that it is getting colder - I have decided not to take the new top off till next Spring.

Big hugs! And dogs are awesome!!! Glad that we have dog(gies)!!

Jeep + Doggies = Indescribable Feelings! :like:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Julie!! Thanks a lot! No whirring sound???? Hmmm!!! I need to get my ears check. I did not know that they have new steel steering gear - which most probably explain why it is so much easier to maneuver (I thought that my steering wheel were a bit too loose) Thanks for the clarification.

Yes to the backup camera. A big difference from the old 2019 Sport S as compared to this new Rubi - it is really clear. Totally understandable about the room at the back of your JLU to carry more stuff. There are many pros (and cons) of owning a two doors vs four doors, and it is just that I could never ever imagine driving a four door Jeep. To me - even when I wish that there are more space to put things away (especially when I have two dogs) - I am super happy with my 2 doors Jeep. It is my fun ride - my err... how do I say this - my toy car? and while I am planning to take this baby off trail sometimes soon - it is not a substitute to my main ride, rather - it complements my need - the main ride is practical and 2 door Jeep is fun (we had so much fun this summer driving with the top off and now that it is getting colder - I have decided not to take the new top off till next Spring.

Big hugs! And dogs are awesome!!! Glad that we have dog(gies)!!

Jeep + Doggies = Indescribable Feelings! :like:
I always wanted to drive my JLUR with either my wife or a few buddies on a road trip between Long Island and Montreal. I heard that trip is very scenic in the summer on I-87 esp North of Albany. I normally do that route via Delta from JFK to YUL. But then COVID happened. It is now on my bucket list for next summer. By then I would have fixed the Steering Box as well.....just been too lazy recently to get that done.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
All Wranglers click, the whirring noise is covering it on the new one.

JK! Anyway, the whirring noise is the BSG part of the eTorque. You are hearing the belt run it. It’s normal. Those that don’t ever hear it probably don’t have a BSG or just aren’t noticing it.
Sponsored