Sponsored

2018 jl 3.6 sludge in engine?

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
...silicone spray all rubber seals around doors/tailgate.
Isn't silicone bad for rubber in the long term?

I use bee wax. Been using it sincethe late 80's it's the best imho.

Learned my lesson the hard way with silicone based products, Armor All, circa 1989, on my Porsche leatherette interior. The dash and seats were eaten up by the 10th year! Never again!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't silicone bad for rubber in the long term?

I use bee wax. Been using it sincethe late 80's it's the best imho.

Learned my lesson the hard way with silicone based products, Armor All, circa 1989, on my Porsche leatherette interior. The dash and seats were eaten up by the 10th year! Never again!
Yeah, I have heard that from multiple sources.

I use 303 protectant on the rubber. My old 2008 JK's rubber seals look like new after 14 years of that stuff. I use Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine on the exterior plastic and rubber, though. It all seems to do very well with it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I’m in souther California the Jeep is at moss brother dealer in Riverside CA . I’m not sure how far into it they have gotten I’m going over there today .
Moss brothers is a dog sh-t dealer worst service and sales team ever. Said I used to know the San Bernardino moss brothers manager Wayne was great. I don’t think he’s there no more though cause that place is crap now. Anyways I cannot see having slug in the engine at 40k miles. Ask for a sample from the oil pan. It it’s any other color than black it should be under warranty

I really dig Redlands and Huntington Beach dealers. I’ve had good luck with them.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Vehicles under warranty I always have the dealer change the oil. It's not the cheapest route. It does create a solid paper trail. Also, waiting for the oil life indicator seems wrong. Oil changes are cheap. Oil can only hold so much dirt before its deposited in the engine. Early oil changes are cheap insurance against this situation.

Ask an independent garage what their charge is to replace the head gasket and pull the pan to clean the sludge.

PulaskiAS

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Cherokee Limited 2.0T / Dodge Avenger 2.4L
Hello everyone , I was wondering if anyone else had sludge in their engine ? I’m asking because my jl gave me a cel for misfire in cylinder 4 I took the Jeep to my mechanic thinking it was a bad coil pack or injector he told me he thinks it’s a bad head gasket so I took it to the dealer for that , it has 41,000 miles . The dealer told me they found sludge in the engine and that it was due to lack of maintenance but that’s bs because I did the oil changes myself when ever the Jeep notified me to do it . I told them the sludge would be from a faulty head gasket . They are saying the engine needs to be replaced at my cost .
This follows a topic about how often the oil should be changed. Most piped in saying what the dealer recommended was BS. This post is what we here in the world of auto techs get a real kick out of when someone doesn't understand how hard these engines work and drive till the change oil light comes on. Yes these are internal combustion engines that do allow a certain amount of blow by around the pistons that contains fuel/hydrocarbons and exhaust gases to pass into the crankcase and contaminate the oil. Yes it you wait for the change oil light to come you will ruin the engine. These intervals are to add to the lure of promised less maintenance. The oil breaks down and results in sludge build up the engine. The cam shaft lobes are the first to suffer and the result is low valve lift hence rough running, and misfires. As a base line limit to 5000 miles and as little at 3000 if you do short runs with many cold starts. Even if the oil starts to smell like hydrocarbons/gasoline change it. My wife's new Jeep got the oil changed at 700 miles, stunk like gasoline. Next was at 4000, much better. Now 4000 max between oil changes, SN Plus oil and filter filled before installed. Take your Honda CRV that started to use oil at 60000 to the dealer and tell them you changed the oil when the reminder came on they will tell you ,, well that's your first mistake. It all marketing. Is it really worth risking the engine? Side note, none of our engines ever use or used oil, leaked oil and that's after over 38 years.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This follows a topic about how often the oil should be changed. Most piped in saying what the dealer recommended was BS. This post is what we here in the world of auto techs get a real kick out of when someone doesn't understand how hard these engines work and drive till the change oil light comes on. Yes these are internal combustion engines that do allow a certain amount of blow by around the pistons that contains fuel/hydrocarbons and exhaust gases to pass into the crankcase and contaminate the oil. Yes it you wait for the change oil light to come you will ruin the engine. These intervals are to add to the lure of promised less maintenance. The oil breaks down and results in sludge build up the engine. The cam shaft lobes are the first to suffer and the result is low valve lift hence rough running, and misfires. As a base line limit to 5000 miles and as little at 3000 if you do short runs with many cold starts. Even if the oil starts to smell like hydrocarbons/gasoline change it. My wife's new Jeep got the oil changed at 700 miles, stunk like gasoline. Next was at 4000, much better. Now 4000 max between oil changes, SN Plus oil and filter filled before installed. Take your Honda CRV that started to use oil at 60000 to the dealer and tell them you changed the oil when the reminder came on they will tell you ,, well that's your first mistake. It all marketing. Is it really worth risking the engine? Side note, none of our engines ever use or used oil, leaked oil and that's after over 38 years.
Some of those same mechanics' shops put cheap bulk oil into cars, along with crappy filters, and so maybe they are right that their bulk oil can't handle an 8k run and will sludge up.

I did a UOA on Mobil 1 EP 0w20 with 8k on it from my 3.6 and it was still in excellent shape with plenty of TBN.

A good quality oil with API SP GF6 and Dexos 1 G2 will have no trouble going the OLM distance in this engine.

But you are also missing another point. A leaking head gasket. A little coolant in the oil will break it right down and cause sludging, even with brand new oil of the highest quality.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
All they have to do is send the oil off to have it analyzed, and they will know it's been changed. Regardless you should NEVER wait for the oil life monitor. I wouldn't go over 5,000 miles, but I do every 3,000.
Too bad the uneducated cannot understand this. They just wait for a passive alert to notify them instead of using active management of maintaining their rig.

I wonder how many even pop their hood at each oil change and do a visual of all fluids and other parts?

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Too bad the uneducated cannot understand this. They just wait for a passive alert to notify them instead of using active management of maintaining their rig.

I wonder how many even pop their hood at each oil change and do a visual of all fluids and other parts?

I'd say very few. I don't care how special the oil is, or if it was made from some special polymer from the planet Saturn. I would Never go over 5,000 miles on an oil change. That is the life blood of any engine. One little spec of dirt/sludge plugging up an oiling hole will cause long term severe wear. For all the money we waste in this world on stupid crap. What's an extra $40-$50 for an oil change every 3-5,000 miles?