Sponsored

2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I think I've experienced just a tiny bit of this but thought it was just "a jeep thing". My stabilizer is in the "bad" list, so I'll be checking into this more.
Ya gonna check my stabilizer stamp later today when I get a chance, just got back from dealer, they took pictures of my trackbar for recall, and I had them check front end did not have anything loose. I knew they would not find anything but starting the process and getting a record of it.

Normally I would not suspect the steering stabilizer, but FCA is currently having that on top of the check list, and some seem to be bad.

Other people started seeing this too suddenly, not sure if its cold related (never saw all some and now saw it again second time driving home from dealer)

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Ya gonna check my stabilizer stamp later today when I get a chance, just got back from dealer, they took pictures of my trackbar for recall, and I had them check front end did not have anything loose. I knew they would not find anything but starting the process and getting a record of it.

Normally I would not suspect the steering stabilizer, but FCA is currently having that on top of the check list, and some seem to be bad.

Other people started seeing this too suddenly, not sure if its cold related (never saw all some and now saw it again second time driving home from dealer)
I have an appointment set for the 29th. Buzzing from stereo on driver side, known issue for some of us, and the stabilizer check.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Have a great Thanksgiving John.
Planing on some campfire Turkey for the holiday?
turkey5.jpg
We got cornish hens that I'll try n bake in my cast iron is the plan, may resort to a spit if need be lol

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
My take on the trac bar backets. You can break them. It is very possible. Especially with a budget lift. If i were at home i would have already touched up my welds. I took two pics to show how the geometry is kept when lifted vs stock. This breaking of welds on trac bar brackets is an issue that plagues any solid axle 4x4 (with coil springs). Some years of fords had issues awhile back. The jk was also very susceptible to break. Needless to say i keep a close eye on my welds. In the pics you can see how a drop down bracket is used to keep the geometry correct from lifting.

20181119_131715.jpg

20181119_131734.jpg

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
My take on the steering stabilizer. Mine is dry and has been for quite some time. Pure laziness is the only reason it is still on. Yes i can tell its dust but there is no death wobble. Bump steer is what you get when your stabilizer is shot. Thats it. If you have any kind of wobble or shimmy all a new stabilizer does is mask the core issue till you kill that stabilizer. Check trac bar welds at the frame bracket and the axel first. They are common causes of wobbles and shimmys. Steering stabilizers are not. All they are is shock absorbers for your steering, making it more comfortable to drive. That is all, they do not cause nor do they repair any kind of wobbles or shimmies.

20181119_133507.jpg

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
My take on the steering stabilizer. Mine is dry and has been for quite some time. Pure laziness is the only reason it is still on. Yes i can tell its dust but there is no death wobble. Bump steer is what you get when your stabilizer is shot. Thats it. If you have any kind of wobble or shimmy all a new stabilizer does is mask the core issue till you kill that stabilizer. Check trac bar welds at the frame bracket and the axel first. They are common causes of wobbles and shimmys. Steering stabilizers are not. All they are is shock absorbers for your steering, making it more comfortable to drive. That is all, they do not cause nor do they repair any kind of wobbles or shimmies.

20181119_133507.jpg
Currently FCA is stating the defective stabilizers are a source of problems, checking for the defective versions is done before any other diagnostics. Several people have had ones from the defective batch replaced and everything was fine... will be interesting to see if it stays that way..

but I tend to agree with you, I am willing to bet I have a couple of things, probably a slightly imbalanced tire and a defective stabilizer. I was planning on putting on KO2s, so will probably put them on and check if I am in the defective steering stabilizer batch number range

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Morning 2 door Jeepers, was able to get out and push the Jeep yesterday. In the group photo my tires look ridiculously small compared to the White Jeep next to me.

20181118_133507.jpg

HF 11-18-18  04.jpg

HF 11-18-18  08.jpg

HF 11-18-18  10.jpg

HF 11-18-18  12.jpg
In my mind a Jeep with tires like the white one are not practical for a vehicle that is used on the road. If it was 90% off road, cool but for primarily road use I think 35's are the sweet spot. Get into 37's and larger you really need upgraded axles and brakes, lower gearing etc. and a lot more gas. But to each their own. Thanks for the cool pics!

Last edited:

Sponsored

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tjwallerphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
"Stormie," A Base 2018 Granite Crystal JL Sport 2-door
Occupation
Professional Action Photographer
In my mind a Jeep with tires like the white one are not practical for a vehicle that is used on the road. If it was 90% off road, cool but for primarily road use I think 35's are the sweet spot. Get into 37's and larger you really need upgraded axles and brakes, lower gearing etc. and a lot more gas. But to each their own. Thanks for the cool pics!
Yeah, I tend to agree. I still have the stock 32" AT's that came with my base Sport and they are doing fine in what I'm contending with down here; which is a lot of mud and sugar sand. Plus I just got back from the Everglades and on the way down (180 miles) I got 25.7 mpg. "Only" 22.1 mpg on the way back up but was caught in a lot of stop-and-go traffic. Come time to change tires I may go with 33's just to give Stormie a little more rubber, but anything larger (for me) would just be a waste.

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Morning 2 door Jeepers, was able to get out and push the Jeep yesterday. In the group photo my tires look ridiculously small compared to the White Jeep next to me.

20181118_133507.jpg

HF 11-18-18  04.jpg

HF 11-18-18  08.jpg

HF 11-18-18  10.jpg

HF 11-18-18  12.jpg
That 4th pic looks a lot like a section of Carnage Canyon at Hidden Falls. When I did it that spot was mostly mud and had me thinking “So this is how I die”.....

Was fun though and I was impressed with the capabilities of my Jeep stock. Few scrapes and bruises on a fender and bumper, but this ain’t no garage queen!

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Yes that guy owns a local Jeep shop and is wheeling all the time. He drives it to work but was really built for rock crawling

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
That 4th pic looks a lot like a section of Carnage Canyon at Hidden Falls. When I did it that spot was mostly mud and had me thinking “So this is how I die”.....

Was fun though and I was impressed with the capabilities of my Jeep stock. Few scrapes and bruises on a fender and bumper, but this ain’t no garage queen!
Did carnage canyon and a number of other 4 trails the week before with a small group. After the few times out I have some scrapes on the fenders as well as some dents/damage/scrapes on both bumpers. That 12 gage steel just doesn't hold up well out on these trails. mentioned to my wife I may need to get new bumpers, she about went through the roof.

Tell ya the Ace sliders sure have saved my Jeep a number of times. On the second form last photo the Jeep slide to the passenger side and the slider slammed against the big rock just below my front tire. That area was under cut and slick, seamed like I sent a lot of time in a vertical position. So much that the guys behind me started calling me Rocket Man, since I was in the vertical take of position.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Did carnage canyon and a number of other 4 trails the week before with a small group. After the few times out I have some scrapes on the fenders as well as some dents/damage/scrapes on both bumpers. That 12 gage steel just doesn't hold up well out on these trails. mentioned to my wife I may need to get new bumpers, she about went through the roof.

Tell ya the Ace sliders sure have saved my Jeep a number of times. On the second form last photo the Jeep slide to the passenger side and the slider slammed against the big rock just below my front tire. That area was under cut and slick, seamed like I sent a lot of time in a vertical position. So much that the guys behind me started calling me Rocket Man, since I was in the vertical take of position.
I haven't gotten the armor yet for such exploring. I was thinking aluminum but then AEV ... I don't want to have the stock bumpers bend into the tub. How'd your stock under carriage armor hold up?
Sponsored