2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

Rach

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 2 Dr JL Sport S
Hello all! Just getting through my first weekend as a JL owner and thrilled to be joining the ranks. Apologies if this has been asked before...

I went with the 2 door Sport S model adding all of the upgrades that weren't easy to DIY.. But now I'm noticing that as I'm searching for certain items that are 2 door specific such as sunshades, side steps, roof racks, options appear to be limited.

So my question is what have been your go to mods at this point given the lack of support for the 2 door model from aftermarket suppliers?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Hello, everyone just got back from a week in OBX "outer banks N.C " weather was great no rain, had the top down the whole week. I think OBX might be the jeep capital of the world. Tons of jeeps every where. I averaged 18.8 mpg if i kept in under 70, but if i went over 70 closer to 75 i would drop down to 18.2 mpg. On the way home i hit several deluges , and i'm happy to report the PST didn't leak a bit . I'd like to show you some cool,pics of my jeep on the beach, but i forgot to take some. i did how ever take a pic of a painting in my bathroom of a jeep on the beach :)
jeeppic.jpg

oh and this is keda , i logged in under a old profile by mistake
I’m pretty sure that any area where vehicles are allowed on the beach will have an unusually high percentage of Wranglers. And for damn good reason.

I live in such a town and Wranglers are at literally every street corner. It’s actually pretty incredible. My parents house across town would be one house of 7 straight with a Wrangler- if they had a Wrangler that is.. haha. So 3 on one side and 3 on the other.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Has anyone else noticed you can turn your back up camera on for 30 secs while drivng?
It can be helpful with the doors/mirrors off if you live in a state that lets you run w/o mirrors. My experience is if a car is outside of the backup camera (very close) it’ll be close enough for you to hear it without looking.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Hello all! Just getting through my first weekend as a JL owner and thrilled to be joining the ranks. Apologies if this has been asked before...

I went with the 2 door Sport S model adding all of the upgrades that weren't easy to DIY.. But now I'm noticing that as I'm searching for certain items that are 2 door specific such as sunshades, side steps, roof racks, options appear to be limited.

So my question is what have been your go to mods at this point given the lack of support for the 2 door model from aftermarket suppliers?

Thanks!
Congrats and enjoy. Lots of great upgrades you can do. I’m finding little limitations really, you should be able to find just anything you would like. Yes, there are some stuff still coming, fenders, half doors, etc. I have done wheels/tires, steering stabilizer, rock rails, axle back muffler, vented inner front fenders, air intake, CB antenna mount and CB radio, Alien shield (sun shade), liners for cup holders and other cubby places, LED replacement bulbs all around; head lights, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, Mopar floor mats, stubby radio antenna, doorsil protection.

Oh, and remove or cut the euro bumper piece. And get yourself a gorilla bar power lug wrench, and flash light with roll bar holder.

Check your tire pressure, and drop them down to 36-37. Dealerships have been very reliability leaving these at 40+. Make sure you got the toolkit (star bits and ratchet) and bag for the hard tops.

Tuffy storage is next for the handgun, they have multiple choices. Started looking for a front bumper now, way too many choices, and then winch and fog lights. After that, probably some lower profile fenders, this where I have found that vendors are still working on their products. But, I’ve had plenty to do, as you can see. Let us know if you want some vendor recommendations in the various product lines.

I would definitely look at some rock rails, good protection even in parking lots from door dings and grocery carts. Ace, Mopar, and JCR Offroad have been mentioned here, for example. My JCR pictured below.

EC98B0A3-96A4-4525-9934-30B0194C2158.jpeg

9B2E2B03-E19C-4173-99BA-4E2BA07288D3.jpeg

0D2B5B71-A1FE-4FE3-B3B0-0EBE835252AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
After taking the stubby antenna off due to poor reception here in the country and driving with the stock antenna the stubby is back! It justooks so much better. I will just have to put with trees blocking the XM and compromised FM.

IMG_20180813_082007305_HDR[1].jpg

Sponsored

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tjwallerphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
"Stormie," A Base 2018 Granite Crystal JL Sport 2-door
Occupation
Professional Action Photographer
After taking the stubby antenna off due to poor reception here in the country and driving with the stock antenna the stubby is back! It justooks so much better. I will just have to put with trees blocking the XM and compromised FM.

IMG_20180813_082007305_HDR[1].jpg
Fred, I don't mind the length of stock antenna as much as I do the "color." Would you think it would affect the reception if I spray painted the stock antenna black? Or does the bare metal of the antenna help the reception?

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Fred, I don't mind the length of stock antenna as much as I do the "color." Would you think it would affect the reception if I spray painted the stock antenna black? Or does the bare metal of the antenna help the reception?
If you wanna just buy one, they do sell the oem looking antenna in black online.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought about that, but my guess would be it might hinder the reception and it would likely wear off.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you wanna just buy one, they do sell the oem looking antenna in black online.
When I put the OEM back I really didn't like seeing it dancing around while I drove, the black would be there dancing around as well. The stubby will do for now.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
When I put the OEM back I really didn't like seeing it dancing around while I drove, the black would be there dancing around as well. The stubby will do for now.
I also saw the black in a shorter version too. Just to continue "enlightening" you. :)

Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I listed my tires in the marketplace if you know anyone looking to change things up.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
TIL: there are guys more anal than I. Can’t wait to tell my wife! ;-)

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought about that, but my guess would be it might hinder the reception and it would likely wear off.
Thanks!
I don't mind if it wears off; I'll just touch it up like everything else I'll be having to touch-up on down the road. I was just curious as to how you thought (and everyone else's opinion is welcome!!!) the paint would affect the reception.
Thanks again!! :jk: :flag:

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, if the paint trick doesn't work and the chrome of the antenna really starts to irk me, then I guess that'll be my solution! Lol!

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Especially on a day like yesterday when Manhattan felt like a giant furnace! :sun: Plus it definitely feels like Jeep territory up here. I also live/work in NYC 5 days a week but up here feels as much (sometimes more) like home to me.

It’s about to become harder to escape to the Hudson Valley though: they just began construction on 495 by the Lincoln Tunnel helix, so congestion is about to go from bad to worse... Even if taking the Holland Tunnel or GWB, I suppose there will be a domino effect. Glad I’ll have the Rubi red dashboard and 8”4 Infotainment screen to keep me (somewhat) happy when stuck in traffic. :swear:

PS: Yes, you do!
Have you considered going north and crossing the Hudson later? Like at the Tappan Zee?
Sponsored