Sponsored

2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Finally we get news, the one and only time on this forum; we can deem to be ACCURATE concerning FCA’s production plans. Maybe now they will have enough parts to go into FULL 2 door production.
basically the real jeep buyers, 2 door JL buyers, got cucked by the JK sticking around.

lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
warc1

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
We’ve all read the conflicting information on the status of 2dr production that we’re getting from FCA, dealers, and acquaintances of acquaintances that supposedly know something. As a refreshing alternative, many on this thread have recently become aware of a poster on Reddit under the name Drillionaire. For the first time, I think we have access to a source with demonstrated knowledge of 2dr production status and a high degree of reliability. I’ve been fascinated by digging into his comments over the last couple of weeks and thought I would post my take on what I think you can conclude about the 2dr situation with a high degree of certainty.

First, the background on Drillionaire. He’s stated that he’s a manager within the Toledo North Plant that houses the JL line. I’ve found confirmation on the web, but to protect his privacy, I’m not going to link to it. He has an open comment on the Jeep Reddit where he is offering to provide any JL customer with the status of their order. He’s answered around 100 requests over the past two weeks where he can confirm D1 status, and for those orders, tell you what number you are in line before framing starts on your build and how much time that is anticipated to take. He can also tell you if there have been issues with your build that have caused delays and how they’re being addressed. No one has ever come back to say the information he has provided was wrong so there is near conclusive evidence that he is legitimate.

So what has Drillionaire told us about 2dr production?
  1. It started on April 9, 2018.
  2. As of April 20, 2018, production has been very low at around 4-5 vehicles a day. To put this in perspective, current JL production is around 900 vehicles per day. Historically, 2dr builds represent around 20% of all Wrangler production so that they need to be close to 200 2drs per day to meet demand not including the 4 month backlog of unfulfilled orders.
  3. As of April 23, 2018, 2dr production has risen to 3% of JL builds, or 27 vehicles per day.
  4. Delays in introduction of 2drs and the current low production rate are because suppliers are strained having to produce parts for two different lines (JK and JL), something they’ve never had to do before.
  5. JK production ends on April 27, 2018 and it is anticipated that will allow the ramp up on 2drs to build quickly the following weeks.
  6. There is an indefinite hold on releasing 2drs built to date until they’ve manufactured enough with no issues. Given the current low rate of production, that could take some time. [20180425] 2drs are beginning to be released from the hold.
  7. Only hard tops have been built to date with non premium soft tops slated to start around May 1, 2018 and premium versions targeted for May 15, 2018.
  8. The delay on premium soft tops is not due to inability to supply but rather that engineering is not complete on water proofing.
  9. Sting Grey and Mojito orders with body coloured tops have yet to be built due to paint mismatch on plastic vs metal. Sting Grey orders with black hard tops are in production but nothing yet for Mojito.
  10. Anticipated arrivals for dealer ordered 2drs (as opposed to customer orders) was estimated to be around the first week of May back when production started on April 9. Given that they’ve yet to ramp of production beyond 27 vehicles per day, I would suggest that is no longer operative.
  11. [20180425] In response to a question on frame welding issues, the following answer was given: "We we're having problems back in the pilot phase, but haven't had very many problems lately."
Rumours that can be dispelled:
  1. The rumour that 2dr production was recently halted is false. Production has been continuous since the April 9, 2018 startup.
  2. The rumour posted on this site that the first 2drs will not be available until October 2018 is false.
  3. There’s no evidence of an ongoing quality issue with 2drs that is preventing its release.
  4. There has been no parts hold for LED or steel bumper orders.
Ever since Drillionaire’s offer to give status updates has become more widely known, he’s getting hammered with requests. If you do want to pursue this, I would suggest making one request, and if given a target date, only ask for a follow-up if that date does not appear to have been met. A slew of daily status update requests could easily result in the end of his service. If you do use it, I would suggest you consider “giving gold” which is a Reddit mechanism to provide a degree of compensation for his efforts.

Last edited:

Jax2578

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Ever since Drillionaire’s offer to give status updates has become more widely known, he’s getting hammered with requests. If you do want to pursue this, I would suggest making one request, and if given a target date, only ask for a follow-up if that date does not appear to have been met. A slew of daily status update requests could easily result in the end of his service. If you do use it, I would suggest you consider “giving gold” which is a Reddit mechanism to provide a degree of compensation for his efforts.
+1

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
UPDATE: Contacted my friendly sales rep (I used to work with him at that dealership a few years back.) on 4/23. He bypassed the publicly available sites and went to the dealership-accessed site. I explained the inconsistency of JeepCares, etc. and he advised me that my 2-dr is REALLY scheduled for build on 4/28 or 4/29. Now, we'll see how reliable the 'back door' access is. But don't give up... there is a Santa Claus.
"back door access is" always good . . . . SORRY, I couldn't help myself - Michael and the Office contributed to my delinquency

Jax2578

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
:giggle:

Sponsored

SpaceDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
SpaceDog
basically the real jeep buyers, 2 door JL buyers, got cucked by the JK sticking around.

lol
I'm pretty sure that the only time it is socially acceptable to use the term "cucked" is if you are making an ironic or sarcastic joke that is designed to make fun of those who think it's perfectly normal to use it in everyday conversation.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I'm pretty sure that the only time it is socially acceptable to use the term "cucked" is if you are making an ironic or sarcastic joke that is designed to make fun of those who think it's perfectly normal to use it in everyday conversation.
Lighten up bud! Words are just words, and this isn't a safe space. :)

GO4IT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 jeep xj
Spoke to Jeep Customer (I Don't) Care yesterday re my JL Rubi and was told the latest build notice was to start the 2 door build on 5/14.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so I'm gonna go test drive a manual Fiat 124 this week or next. Might be what I need to tide me over until 2 doors exist, and without Fisher-Price frames.
Sponsored