jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
ha, enough said! Just watched all three videos. looks like you guys had perfect wheeling weather. Some of those obstacles are gnarly but good driving by both you and Jenn. Does her JK have lockers?

My biggest obstacle to going is my only Jeep buddy in the area has a JLU Sahara that will probably not get the upgrades it needs this year to run a trail like that. Be awesome to get a socal JL group up there sometime. I'm looking at tires and a lift in the next couple months, so John Bull and dishpan will have to do for this summer.

Posted this shot in a few other threads, but here's mine up on miller jeep trail a couple weeks back, just about to roll 12,000 miles and contemplating the damn mopar warranty extension before the price goes up.
3C3DEA4B-E59B-49F8-A7A8-A6F89100108A_1_105_c.jpeg
Well i avoid the dealership like the plague lol so extra warranties are not my thing. Mods you need for the Rubicon are some type of belly skid, winch, recovery gear, rock rails and a cb. 33" tires are the recommended minimum. Yes the JK is air locked front and rear, arb.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Well i avoid the dealership like the plague lol so extra warranties are not my thing. Mods you need for the Rubicon are some type of belly skid, winch, recovery gear, rock rails and a cb. 33" tires are the recommended minimum. Yes the JK is air locked front and rear, arb.

I put a warn 10s on a few months ago and just now I ordered the evo protek skid after watching your video on it - nice price and lightweight for some immediate protection of the most important stuff under there. For now I don't care about slapping the exhaust against some rocks, I feel like that's a cheap fix if it does happen.

As you've seen on socal jeeps group I'm still trying to nail down a decision on lift, tires, and wheels but I'm trying to get it all done pretty soon. Still want those KMCs but the offset is still worrying me.

On the lift end of things, leaning ultimately to metalcloak 2.5 and either starting with the cheaper dual rate lift or going straight to the GC. Depends on how much my wheels and tires end up being. Pretty spendy if I stick to KM3s and KMCs, if I go with pats and fifteen52s I can likely go right to the gamechanger. Exciting times ahead for the Jeep either way.

Anyone ever run into loose factory ball joints btw? Trying to diagnose this clicking when I turn the wheel - it's not the U joint and I've been reading that the ball joints sometimes aren't torqued up from the factory.

Last edited:

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I put a warn 10s on a few months ago and just now I ordered the evo protek skid after watching your video on it - nice price and lightweight for some immediate protection of the most important stuff under there. For now I don't care about slapping the exhaust against some rocks, I feel like that's a cheap fix if it does happen.

As you've seen on socal jeeps group I'm still trying to nail down a decision on lift, tires, and wheels but I'm trying to get it all done pretty soon. Still want those KMCs but the offset is still worrying me.

On the lift end of things, leaning ultimately to metalcloak 2.5 and either starting with the cheaper dual rate lift or going straight to the GC. Depends on how much my wheels and tires end up being. Pretty spendy if I stick to KM3s and KMCs, if I go with pats and fifteen52s I can likely go right to the gamechanger. Exciting times ahead for the Jeep either way.

Anyone ever run into loose factory ball joints btw? Trying to diagnose this clicking when I turn the wheel - it's not the U joint and I've been reading that the ball joints sometimes aren't torqued up from the factory.
Have someone wrack the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the front of the jeep and look for movement and noise makers in all the joints. My recommendation would be to overspend on your lift and drive around like you missed leg day till you can get the wheels you want too. Thats what i did lol looked a lil goofy for awhile, going thru adolescence lol

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Have someone wrack the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the front of the jeep and look for movement and noise makers in all the joints. My recommendation would be to overspend on your lift and drive around like you missed leg day till you can get the wheels you want too. Thats what i did lol looked a lil goofy for awhile, going thru adolescence lol
Seconded. :like::beer:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha I may just do that. Also am toying with installing the lift myself (and buying a few tools) to save a few bucks on the bulk of the labor. Still would get it dialed in directly after. I hit up Brothers 4x4 for a quote on full MC+install.

You lifted 2 door folks running upgraded driveshafts? Front only or rear too? Haven't been able to find out if the short wheelbase creates a need for both shafts to be upgraded.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Haha I may just do that. Also am toying with installing the lift myself (and buying a few tools) to save a few bucks on the bulk of the labor. Still would get it dialed in directly after. I hit up Brothers 4x4 for a quote on full MC+install.

You lifted 2 door folks running upgraded driveshafts? Front only or rear too? Haven't been able to find out if the short wheelbase creates a need for both shafts to be upgraded.
No driveshaft changes for me.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

Front as recommended by MetalCloak for me.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

i did the front driveshaft also, the fear is at full droop the stock one will pull out of itself. i just noticed you are in LA, i normally would suggest you just bring it over and we will give you a hand with the install, but unfortunately i am shipping out to Reno for ten weeks on sunday.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not quite sure saying here, but I do find myself staring. lol

Love MetalCloak’s lift except for the shocks. Love some adjustability. :idea:
when you can, pair it with some Falcons, you will not be disappointed.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i did the front driveshaft also, the fear is at full droop the stock one will pull out of itself. i just noticed you are in LA, i normally would suggest you just bring it over and we will give you a hand with the install, but unfortunately i am shipping out to Reno for ten weeks on sunday.
Ah bummer! Appreciate the offer, that would have been awesome. Ten weeks, sounds like a worksite of some sort yeah? We'll have to go wheeling in the fall.

I've got feelers out to DCD Customs and Brothers 4x4 - looks like about $600-700 in labor for the MC GC. I'm very mechanically inclined but own almost no tools other than a heavy duty shop floor jack and a few jack stands. You think it's worth buying some tools and wrenching it on with a willing hand from a friend? I figure that way I know what's changing under there and have what it takes to fix it later if needed

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Thats really not a bad price. Its not all that difficult and having the tools will come in handy on trail. Even if you install it yourself you will most likely have to get it into a shop to align and get the castor perfect anyways. A metric set of box end/open end wrenches would be a good start and buy what you need when needed. My jeep kit is more jeep centric so i dont have to carry unused tools or bits. Less weight is a good thing.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Ah bummer! Appreciate the offer, that would have been awesome. Ten weeks, sounds like a worksite of some sort yeah? We'll have to go wheeling in the fall.

I've got feelers out to DCD Customs and Brothers 4x4 - looks like about $600-700 in labor for the MC GC. I'm very mechanically inclined but own almost no tools other than a heavy duty shop floor jack and a few jack stands. You think it's worth buying some tools and wrenching it on with a willing hand from a friend? I figure that way I know what's changing under there and have what it takes to fix it later if needed
FWIW, I did my mopar lift by my big self. Battery operated tools are a huge help.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats really not a bad price. Its not all that difficult and having the tools will come in handy on trail. Even if you install it yourself you will most likely have to get it into a shop to align and get the castor perfect anyways. A metric set of box end/open end wrenches would be a good start and buy what you need when needed. My jeep kit is more jeep centric so i dont have to carry unused tools or bits. Less weight is a good thing.
FWIW, I did my mopar lift by my big self. Battery operated tools are a huge help.

Okay I assure you I have more functions than constantly asking recommendations, but what electric impact drivers do you guys use? I've been shopping for one but am always weary that whatever I buy won't be low profile enough to fit where it needs to fit.

Ultimately gotta figure out a mobile "oh shit" on-trail repair box for the Jeep but definitely gotta get creative on where to store it all. I figure I'll try and have less than 180lbs of tools haha but who knows.
Sponsored