2.2L no longer available

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Has anyone else seen that the 2.2L is discontinued?
Pretty disappointing. I drove both the 2.0L and the 2.2D and found the power delivery of the 2.2D far better than the the petrel engine.
Admittedly, the petrel engine was significantly quieter.
You can now only get the 2.0L petrel engine, without the hybrid system.
Even the gladiator, which starts at 60k€ for the sport (75k€ for the launch edition) is only available with the 3.6L.
I would definitely not want to pay the fuel bill for that. I had the 3.6 in my JK in the US. Even there, it cost me around 400 bucks a month in gas.

I have already seen the price of used Rubicons go up.
Too bad the 4x4e will run at least 75k€ here in Germany. I would consider trading it in for one.
Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
It was dropped here in Australia for the 2021 year, to be honest I wouldn't get it, not sold in the US parts are going to be a struggle and it will be the 'odd' JL in a few years.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
It was dropped here in Australia for the 2021 year, to be honest I wouldn't get it, not sold in the US parts are going to be a struggle and it will be the 'odd' JL in a few years.
The only parts struggle will be aftermarket. The 2.2 has been around in Fiats for a few years so engine parts shouldn't be an issue and the gearbox is the same as used in other models so that shouldn't be an issue either.

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
That is sad news.
At least in Norway you can get it, and also the Gladiator comes with the new 3.0 Ecodiesel.

For me, the 2.2D is the perfect engine for the JL ...excluding the V8 of course :devil:

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Yep, a sad move on Jeeps part. They really need a suitable diesel, otherwise they have lost my future business (unless they want to introduce the V8 to Australia ;)). The 2.2 is a little ripper. Drove both the petrol and diesel. Chose the diesel and happy with my choice. Great fuel economy and tows my camper trailer without protest.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
It was already rare to find a specific accessory for the 2.2 Diesel, so now that it's not available anymore (I looked and in my country too) it's going to be very impossible to find something :headbang:

Aage

First Name
Aki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020, 2.2L diesel
Same thing in Iceland. A friend came for a visit, took a little drive on the JL and he told me they dont sell the diesel (2.2 ) anymore in Iceland :-(. I´m lucky to have one :). Love that engine. I think the only model sold here now is the hybrid one.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.2 Diesel and this is also what I tell myself, I wonder if I made the right choice with my engine and maybe I should have taken the 2.0 gas

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
No point to second guess your Jeep. I plan to keep mine for a long time.
Besides, I am working with several companies who are bringing electric conversions to the market. I expect that the Wrangler will be a good platform for a conversion down the road.
Assuming in 10 years, my Jeep is in good shape, I will just convert it.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I am driving the 2.2 diesel as well and I am loving it. I would not worry to much about parts - as others said, it‘s a standard FCA engine, it is still available in the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, for example.

As far as third party add-ons are concerned, most mods aren’t engine-specific, and most of those that are would not have been available for the 2.2 diesel anyway, as it has never been sold in the U.S.

I‘d rather expect the resale-value of the diesel to go up, as many people still prefer a diesel-engine for a number of reasons...

Sponsored

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
We're in Europe... 99% of after market mods are illegal anyhow.

Resale is really good right now in Germany at least.
I was tempted to take an offer for a even trade on a ranger rapter, fully loaded.

farzad1

First Name
Farzad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2019 Sahara Unlimited
The only parts struggle will be aftermarket. The 2.2 has been around in Fiats for a few years so engine parts shouldn't be an issue and the gearbox is the same as used in other models so that shouldn't be an issue either.
what fiats has the engine been in?