Sponsored

2.0 Oil Change

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Anyone with 2.0L JL got their oil change done at a dealership, and was it done properly?
I've been doing the free oil changes, got 2 left. The dealership is good, but they've overfilled both times. I've had to go underneath and drain the oil pan to get to the right level. They're detailing on the receipt that they used the requisite 5 qts, but still overfilled. I think their oil filler is calibrated wrong. It's not a HUGE deal, but I will bring it up next time.

Just be sure to check your oil dipstick several times after a fill. Once cold, and once hot, see what the difference is. Adjust accordingly.

A free oil change I can't turn down. 4 free ones saves me $200 in the long run.
Sponsored

thisispainful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '15 Tacoma
I did my first change myself at 1600km/1000miles. Super easy. Using Mopar filter and Amsoil Signature. Drained the oil on a warm engine, 5qt fill put me right to the full line. I've used Amsoil in my motorbikes for years, and our distribution office is a 2 minute drive from where I work. Plus the preferred customer pricing on Signature is good. Probably going to change it again at 8000km/5000mi and continue with a 8/5 schedule.

JeepRAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Is it one of the easiest I ever did and I have been changing oil in cars for over 30 years!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
We're taking ours in tomorrow for its first free oil change at 1,500 miles under the Jeep Wave program. Next will be at 5,000 miles, just to get the schedule on an even 5,000 mile mark. After that, it will be changed every 5,000 miles plus 5-tire rotation. I will always do the tire rotations myself and the oil changes, after the first 4 free ones.

I had not heard about this new MS-13340 standard, just the old MS-6395. I use Valvoline full synthetic in my GC, and would like to stick with the same brand (although different viscosity) in our Recon, but I will have to do a bit more research into this.

TXFirecracker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
I've been doing the free oil changes, got 2 left. The dealership is good, but they've overfilled both times. I've had to go underneath and drain the oil pan to get to the right level. They're detailing on the receipt that they used the requisite 5 qts, but still overfilled. I think their oil filler is calibrated wrong. It's not a HUGE deal, but I will bring it up next time.

Just be sure to check your oil dipstick several times after a fill. Once cold, and once hot, see what the difference is. Adjust accordingly.

A free oil change I can't turn down. 4 free ones saves me $200 in the long run.
I am not close to the first free change yet but if my dealership does that to me for the 4 free changes I will capture that free oil and will almost have enough for a 5th free oil change, minus the filter....I kid. It does seem like by now they should have it dialed in. You guys have made me aware of the need to distrust, and verify....

Sponsored

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
I've always been a bit skeptical of the various brand-based claims of "best oil"; my assumption was if you use a quality brand in the correct viscosity they are all about the same and you don't have to get into the nitty gritty of fine print acronyms..

(well, we all know what is said about assumptions..)

I was reminded of that today by the linked article on "LSPI". LSPI? Never heard of it.. hmmm.. so that's why API SN Plus is so important!!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maint...=email&utm_content=20_June_8_Newsletter_NewDD

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've always been a bit skeptical of the various brand-based claims of "best oil"; my assumption was if you use a quality brand in the correct viscosity they are all about the same and you don't have to get into the nitty gritty of fine print acronyms..

(well, we all know what is said about assumptions..)

I was reminded of that today by the linked article on "LSPI". LSPI? Never heard of it.. hmmm.. so that's why API SN Plus is so important!!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maint...=email&utm_content=20_June_8_Newsletter_NewDD
That was a very informative read. Thanks for the article!

Alex D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy's Wheeler, tank, half doors
Well, figured out after reading this thread that i have been driving 8,000 miles with 6 qts. of oil in the oil pan, the last 500 miles towing a trailer in 95F weather. Changed oil out myself for 5 qts. of Pennzoil Plat. I monitor my engine always with the off-road pages gages and the temps before and after are no different and there have been no other effects. Seems the overfill is not damaging or detrimental.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Is adding 6 quarts in 2.0L equivalent to 5q in a V6 JL with some usage by the turbo?

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Had my first Jeep wave oil change done today at my local dealership. The technician didn’t screw my drain plug tight enough and I lost about a quart on the way home. Not happy to be going back in the morning to have them change it out. As soon as I pulled in the driveway I saw it leaking.

00B92CD3-AB2E-4236-9FC7-282841A00BB7.jpeg

217B4687-843B-4BDB-BBC4-F7300DACA34E.jpeg

A289A0F5-59BF-4378-9815-4B122F85D089.jpeg

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Had my first Jeep wave oil change done today at my local dealership. The technician didn’t screw my drain plug tight enough and I lost about a quart on the way home. Not happy to be going back in the morning to have them change it out. As soon as I pulled in the driveway I saw it leaking.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Oil Change A289A0F5-59BF-4378-9815-4B122F85D089

Dammit.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's a shame. Simple task, simple quality controls, then fail. Could have been worse. I lost a 3.5 Ecoboost to improper installation of the oil filter. Fortunately, the quickie lube had insurance and replaced the engine to the tune of $12,000. Ouch!

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I did my first change myself at 1600km/1000miles. Super easy. Using Mopar filter and Amsoil Signature. Drained the oil on a warm engine, 5qt fill put me right to the full line. I've used Amsoil in my motorbikes for years, and our distribution office is a 2 minute drive from where I work. Plus the preferred customer pricing on Signature is good. Probably going to change it again at 8000km/5000mi and continue with a 8/5 schedule.
I have used Amsoil for the last three oil changes. I really like the product and if you watch ProjectFarm the oil that does the best after Amsoil is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and with the wholesale pricing I get from the Amsoil guy 1 mile from my house it is worth the extra $5 versus Platinum Ultra.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I change my oil 3x a year. Once at the beginning of fall when the leaves turn (before I romp on it on deep snowy roads) once at the end of winter, usually around march 1, and once just before heading out for the long summer backcountry season.

It never hits 5000 miles this way. Overkill? You betcha. I have a great investment called no kids which makes it totally fine to spend 40 or so dollars every 3-4 months. :)
Sponsored