12V Fridge & freezer

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeti did finally come out with a 12v charging cable for the Yeti lithium's. Haven't found many reviews on it and it's already out of stock on Goal Zero's web site.
Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running theirs off the factory 12v outlet in the back, any problems? I have the ARB fridge and was wondering if I'll need to run a dedicated power from the battery once my JLUR comes in.
I have been running mine off of the 12v outlet in the back 24/7 for a couple months and have zero issues. The only thing I don't like is the plug sticking out - takes room/feel like its going to get broken while off roading - from being smashed by fridge - just ordered the ARB fridge wire kit so I can mount it out of the way and lock my fridge down to the tie down spots.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Check craigslist and garage sales if you have the time. I have an old 12V/120V Norcold fridge/freezer that I picked up from a neighbor for $75. This works like a champ. Been through 110°+ days and everything is cold. Freezer setting keeps frozen things frozen, and will freeze things that aren't. It lacks any fancy buttons and readouts, but a small thermometer lets me monitor the temp, so I don't mind.
I still need to get a slide drawer, but it is solid on the American Adventure Labs base plate using a few peices of mule tape and some L Track eyelets.

20190222_181522.jpg

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have been running mine off of the 12v outlet in the back 24/7 for a couple months and have zero issues. The only thing I don't like is the plug sticking out - takes room/feel like its going to get broken while off roading - from being smashed by fridge - just ordered the ARB fridge wire kit so I can mount it out of the way and lock my fridge down to the tie down spots.
How did the ARB wire kit work out, did you wire it thru the aux panel on the dash?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ok I KNOW this has gotta be on the forum but damn my search-fu is apparently sucking today.

1) my measurements suggest the ARB won't fit lengthwise with the factory Mopar tailgate table. Can anyone confirm?

2) has anyone turned the ARB 90 degrees? This really doesn't seem like a horrible option to me. Pics?

I mean I've got the measurements but it's difficult to visualize a cube (fridge) in another cube (cargo area) until you lay hands on it....but turning the ARB 90 seems entirely reasonable based upon this fancy stick I got with lines and numbers on it...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have my Snomaster at 90 degrees because of a Tuffy tailgate box. It works fine that way but doesn't give me a great deal of cargo room.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
How did the ARB wire kit work out, did you wire it thru the aux panel on the dash?
We used the arb wiring with our snomaster cooler. It’s 8ga and designed to be ran from the battery. We did that and mounted the plug in the cargo tray under the cool. Drilled a small hole for the plug and it’s tucked out of the way. Works great. The rear plug will work (kinda). There’s a bunch of loss in the factory wiring.

Brett

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I have an ARB fridge/freezer I bought in 2002 that still works great. Probably the single best thing I've ever bought for the Jeep. It will still freeze your beer in 110 degree Texas heat if you turn it too low.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey Bob, unless you've rewired things from the factory--not my first guess--your cooler's, we must both agree, taxing both the (I'm assuming 3.6L) JL's batteries: main and ESS/Aux, which are (and because they are) connected in parallel nearly all the time.

(When not is a discussion for another thread.)

This said sir, I'm going to assume your not charging your batteries by running the engine--so--do you have like, a trickle charger going or something to address the cooler's electric draw?

Cheers.. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I plug mine into the wall at night and when my JL is not in use (most of the work week), but I've used it several days in a row in the heat of summer without plugging into the wall and had no issues running off the 12v plug in the cargo area. During that time, I my daily drive was 35 minutes each way and the voltage was fine. I don't think these refrigerators draw much, and most have battery rundown protection. On my Snomaster, the rundown protection is variable, with three settings. You can also set it for low power consumption. I'm not sure how effective that is, though, at holding colder temps. I leave mine on "normal."