@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bob, unless you've rewired things from the factory--not my first guess--your cooler's, we must both agree, taxing both the (I'm assuming 3.6L) JL's batteries: main and ESS/Aux, which are (and because they are) connected in parallel nearly all the time.

(When not is a discussion for another thread.)

This said sir, I'm going to assume your not charging your batteries by running the engine--so--do you have like, a trickle charger going or something to address the cooler's electric draw?

Cheers.. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~
I am running off the stock wiring - and yes, 3.6l. The Dometic fridge can since the Jeeps battery levels and shuts off if the the Jeeps battery levels drop to a certain point. Seems like after about 2 days the fridge slows down.
Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I am running off the stock wiring - and yes, 3.6l. The Dometic fridge can since the Jeeps battery levels and shuts off if the the Jeeps battery levels drop to a certain point. Seems like after about 2 days the fridge slows down.
My 37 ARB does the same, monitors the battery levels and will shut itself down if battery gets too low. That said, i have never had to worry about it, even when I did a rim to rim in the grand canyon it sat for 2.5 days, jeep started right up and all food was still cold.

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We used the arb wiring with our snomaster cooler. Itā€™s 8ga and designed to be ran from the battery. We did that and mounted the plug in the cargo tray under the cool. Drilled a small hole for the plug and itā€™s tucked out of the way. Works great. The rear plug will work (kinda). Thereā€™s a bunch of loss in the factory wiring.

Brett
I have the ARB wiring kit out of my JKU, am planning on running it to the aux panel one of these weekends, but until then i'm going to use the factory 12v plug in back.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I use ARB and ran the wiring kit from the second battery. I have a genesis dual battery set up. ZERO issues. It is always in the jeep.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Finally put in an order for the ARB 37QT Classic Series II. Dometic, Engel and SnoMaster were the other finalists. I also just ordered the FlexoPower Lithium 444 battery pack, and will run the fridge from there most of the time, and connect the 12V cargo area plug to the FlexoPower to charge that while driving/ wheeling. I wanted the back up power supply to have the option to use it for camp lights, charging electronics, possibly even a small fan or two on summer nights in the tent. Plus I will use the fridge in the Jeep and the family SUV, so having the lithium pack alleviates battery worries for when we tailgate or leave the fridge in the SUV for periods of time. The lithium pack will also be handy for power outages, and provides a starting point if I decide to add a solar panel down the road. I should have ordered these things earlier. I will be shocked if the fridge shows up before the next Jeep camping weekend in 6 days, so it might be one last trip with the cooler. Here is a link to the FlexoPower if anyone is interested: https://www.flexopowerusa.com/products/lithium444

LiPo444.PNG

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Milwaukee M18 fan will run a surprisingly long time on a 5.0, and of course even longer on a 9.0 or 12.0

But, nice!

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
Finally put in an order for the ARB 37QT Classic Series II. Dometic, Engel and SnoMaster were the other finalists. I also just ordered the FlexoPower Lithium 444 battery pack, and will run the fridge from there most of the time, and connect the 12V cargo area plug to the FlexoPower to charge that while driving/ wheeling. I wanted the back up power supply to have the option to use it for camp lights, charging electronics, possibly even a small fan or two on summer nights in the tent. Plus I will use the fridge in the Jeep and the family SUV, so having the lithium pack alleviates battery worries for when we tailgate or leave the fridge in the SUV for periods of time. The lithium pack will also be handy for power outages, and provides a starting point if I decide to add a solar panel down the road. I should have ordered these things earlier. I will be shocked if the fridge shows up before the next Jeep camping weekend in 6 days, so it might be one last trip with the cooler. Here is a link to the FlexoPower if anyone is interested: https://www.flexopowerusa.com/products/lithium444

LiPo444.PNG
I'm kinda liking that power supply. Especially since I use a CPAP. This could really re-open some camping opportunities. thanks!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

LiPo444.PNG
How long will that thing last powering the fridge?

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
How long will that thing last powering the fridge?
I haven't run the fridge solely off the power pack for more than 24 hours, but I estimate it will run it for at least 48 hours. I have the Jeep charge the power pack while driving around and we aren't usually stationary for more than about 12-15 hours max.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have an opinion on Costway? I don't where I found a conversation on this but I logged it a way a few weeks ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG4Q1YJ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_taa_Dx0qCbZ50WPN1
I just saw your post about the Costway Refrigerator Freezer. I purchased the 54QT about three weeks ago. Needed a second fridge for beer when large family stayed over weekend. I left it plugged into 110 and played with the low/med/high settings and it worked great holding around 55 beers at around 36 degrees all weekend. I moved it to my JLU using the rear DC plug and drove around for a day stopping for errands and it worked perfectly throughout my trip. Now it's sitting on my Sailboat running on the DC plug with no issues. I changed the settings to EVO so as not to drain my batteries and haven't noticed the battery charger working any harder then normal. I couldn't justify the cost of the ARB, Dometic, Engel, etc. I did buy the five year warranty through Amazon for extra protection, that brought total cost to around $535.00. So far I'me very impressed by this unit and it looks identical to the ARB 54 QT unit, just different colors. ARB's thermal bag fits great on it according to other posts I'e read and Jeepers recommend getting the ARB DC charging system with locking capability so the plug doesn't come loose during rough trail use. I hope this helps you out.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I haven't run the fridge solely off the power pack for more than 24 hours, but I estimate it will run it for at least 48 hours. I have the Jeep charge the power pack while driving around and we aren't usually stationary for more than about 12-15 hours max.
Nice. I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews about it. Some people said they were only getting 6 hours max out of it. Been looking at a brand called jackery. Similar price for their 290 and it has about 21ah. Similar solar panel features etc

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Iā€™ve been led to believe that a ā€œDanfossā€ compressor is key to low power draw, and perhaps to long-term reliability.

I know ARB, Engel, and Snomaster use the Danfoss. They also have impeccable reputations.

In my research, I never saw a negative comment about any of them.

That in itself is remarkable, given the nature of the Internet.

Battery life and long-term reliability are FAR more important than initial fridge cost to me, given my lifestyle, though.

Thatā€™s why I only considered the 3 brands I did.

Reactions: KDB

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Nice. I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews about it. Some people said they were only getting 6 hours max out of it. Been looking at a brand called jackery. Similar price for their 290 and it has about 21ah. Similar solar panel features etc

To each his own, but instead of power packs or more batteries, Iā€™m going to rely on my Honda 2kw gasoline generator.

It weighs about the same as an additional battery (46#), and will never go dead.

Itā€™s bigger than a battery, but far more versatile and dependable, imo.

And I canā€™t accidentally run it down and be stuck, as I could with any number of stored power devices.

If Iā€™ve got gasoline, I can make electricity and charge batteries.

And unlike a battery, it will still work when my grandchildren pass it on to their grandchildren.

Honda small engines run forever.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
To each his own, but instead of power packs or more batteries, Iā€™m going to rely on my Honda 2kw gasoline generator.

It weighs about the same as an additional battery (46#), and will never go dead.

Itā€™s bigger than a battery, but far more versatile and dependable, imo.

And I canā€™t accidentally run it down and be stuck, as I could with any number of stored power devices.

If Iā€™ve got gasoline, I can make electricity and charge batteries.

And unlike a battery, it will still work when my grandchildren pass it on to their grandchildren.

Honda small engines run forever.
I agree for sure on the versatility and usually much longer lasting but the weight of these new power packs are much much lighter than 46 pounds. Most are very small lithium 9x5x7in and weighing only 6lbs. I can put that under my seat.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been led to believe that a ā€œDanfossā€ compressor is key to low power draw, and perhaps to long-term reliability.

I know ARB, Engel, and Snomaster use the Danfoss. They also have impeccable reputations.

In my research, I never saw a negative comment about any of them.

That in itself is remarkable, given the nature of the Internet.

Battery life and long-term reliability are FAR more important than initial fridge cost to me, given my lifestyle, though.

Thatā€™s why I only considered the 3 brands I did.
You are right about the danfoss being the key to low consumption, and the big brands use them while some Chinese brands use copies of them. Snomaster, however, doesn't use the danfoss. They use their own. They'll use danfoss compressors in some units that they make for other brands, but they claim theirs is better and they warrant them longer. The LS35, for example, has their compressor and has a 7 year warranty. I think most of their fridges have a 5 year warranty.

I'm not knocking the danfoss compressor. It has a great rep because it has earned it and performs very well.
Sponsored