Arb twin compressor wiring questions

Matt.Percy5

First Name
Matthew Preciad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl sport s
I am having some trouble with wiring up my arb twin compressor. I recently purchased a trigger six shooter switch panel and i was curious on if i need to hook it up to a relay or not. i have reached out to the company and they told me to run the compressor off of a relay. Reading on some sites, it says that the arb twin compressor has its now dedicated relays built in. So does that mean i just need to run my positive wire from the compressor to my switch panel?

Switch panel: http://triggercontroller.com/product-details---6-shooter.html

Relay from trigger: http://www.alliedexpedition.com/product/trigger-add-on-relay/
Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
With out a schematic or information from arb, I’d install the relay. Which company told you the compressor needs a relay?

OP
OP
Matt.Percy5

Matt.Percy5

First Name
Matthew Preciad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With out a schematic or information from arb, I’d install the relay. Which company told you the compressor needs a relay?
I have been emailing trigger about the relay, i am confused on the diagram they have sent about the relay.
on the relay, it has a black and white wire that connects back to the switch panel that would go to switch 1. then on the relay there is a red and blue wire and that is what is confusing me.

Here is the relay diagram from trigger:

http://alliedexpedition.com/Instructions/TechBulletin_Trigger_Compressor.pdf

ARB wire diagram: (looking at the isolation switch)

bc53ee9bc8a235bc183a6660ae53e303.jpg

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You do not need a relay with the dual arb compressor because the relay is built in. I’m assuming you mean the red-yel wire. The two heavy gauge red wires must go directly to the battery.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have been emailing trigger about the relay, i am confused on the diagram they have sent about the relay.
on the relay, it has a black and white wire that connects back to the switch panel that would go to switch 1. then on the relay there is a red and blue wire and that is what is confusing me.

Here is the relay diagram from trigger:

http://alliedexpedition.com/Instructions/TechBulletin_Trigger_Compressor.pdf

ARB wire diagram: (looking at the isolation switch)

bc53ee9bc8a235bc183a6660ae53e303.jpg
The relay is essentially a switch that can handle higher amperage (compressor load for instance) that you can trigger with low amperage. In their diagram, light blue would be the + input on the compressor (possibly position 87 on relay body), and Yellow would be +12v constant (possibly position 30 on relay body). Relay Positions 85 and 86 are the + and - triggers. I would connect one to ground and the other to the + output from your switch panel. I'm not sure if the numbered positions are universal but hte common bosch

However, it sounds like the dual ARB has the relay built in, so you should take the + out from your switch panel and connect it to the ARB + trigger wire, I believe that's the PUR in the ARB compressor plug labeled 2. The black in that same plug could be routed to ground.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matt.Percy5

Matt.Percy5

First Name
Matthew Preciad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the ignition wire will I need to set it up for the lockers and isolation switch?

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The ignition wire will be connected to the input + of your switch to keep your compressor only running when the Jeep is running.
Are you installing the ARB compressor and two lockers or just the compressor?

OP
OP
Matt.Percy5

Matt.Percy5

First Name
Matthew Preciad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ignition wire will be connected to the input + of your switch to keep your compressor only running when the Jeep is running.
Are you installing the ARB compressor and two lockers or just the compressor?
Okay and I’ll be installing the compressor for now but I do have the lockers in my garage. I can setup the wiring and get that part installed. I just don’t have the tools to do the lockers myself

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Okay and I’ll be installing the compressor for now but I do have the lockers in my garage. I can setup the wiring and get that part installed. I just don’t have the tools to do the lockers myself
I have the same compressor I will be installing shortly, but it sounds like you have it lined out now, let us know how it goes, take pics!

OP
OP
Matt.Percy5

Matt.Percy5

First Name
Matthew Preciad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same compressor I will be installing shortly, but it sounds like you have it lined out now, let us know how it goes, take pics!
i will be hooking everything up this weekend and i will let you know how everything goes. one last question. Since my switch panel is already tapped into my cigarette lighter in the fuse box and that is supplying the 12v power to the switch panel. i do not need to hook up the red/yellow wire from the arb harness to the window harness correct ?

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
i will be hooking everything up this weekend and i will let you know how everything goes. one last question. Since my switch panel is already tapped into my cigarette lighter in the fuse box and that is supplying the 12v power to the switch panel. i do not need to hook up the red/yellow wire from the arb harness to the window harness correct ?
correct, if your switch panel is already recieving +12v in, you do not need to duplicate that.