Sponsored

Crashed JLUR needs new frame (backordered until at least March)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think the extended time without the Jeep and high potential for getting the short shaft on the DV would push me into something I've never done, get a lawyer and I'd go buy a new Jeep in the meantime. Let the lawyer go after the compensation and move on in life. I wouldn't give 4-6 months of my life waiting for a vehicle I wanted for recreation to be fixed.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

y'all keep saying FRAME REPAIR. there is a huge difference here. they are completely REPLACING the frame therefore there is NO REPAIRS. This is going to bring the valve loss to a smaller amount. On top of that I would be pushing to do such a big repair onto a FCA dealer as you can get way better information from then about parts coming from the manufacture. My bet is they will also total the car. If you have a good clean record with your insurance USAA should cover your choice especially the dealer. plus you might get a wrangler for a rental instead of a kia

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
y'all keep saying FRAME REPAIR. there is a huge difference here. they are completely REPLACING the frame therefore there is NO REPAIRS. This is going to bring the valve loss to a smaller amount. On top of that I would be pushing to do such a big repair onto a FCA dealer as you can get way better information from then about parts coming from the manufacture. My bet is they will also total the car. If you have a good clean record with your insurance USAA should cover your choice especially the dealer. plus you might get a wrangler for a rental instead of a kia
Yes
Yes
Yes
To all of the above

What has me scratching my head in wonder is:

If the frame is bent, then does that mean that the body is bent?

If so, will the bent body fit onto the new straight frame?

This is where additional supplemental repair costs factor in, after the repair process begins, and the decision has been made to not "total" the Jeep.

Body shops love supplementals!
When a body shop does an initial estimate for the insurance company, the body shop only factors what they can see into that estimate.

As a car dealer, I would pay the body shop the extra money to do a "tear down" before beginning the repair to add the previously unforeseen supplemental costs into the overall cost of repair, in-order-to get the vehicle totaled, where it wouldn't have been.

Maverick909 is dead on the money, by saying to get that Jeep to the new Jeep dealer, who doesn't rely on one source of income and usually doesn't have enough room in the parking lot to store that Jeep for a few months, while waiting on a new frame.​

Plus, the new Jeep dealer may charge a higher storage fee than an independent body shop.

A smart Jeep dealer will want to trade you into a new Jeep rather than to fix it.​

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Accident 12/10. Frame arrives mid March at earliest. Having built a Jeep and seeing delay times on new builds, not sure Jeep is going to prioritize allocating a frame for repair. Minimum 20 day (4 weeks) puts earliest possible finish date at mid April. I assume they will find more damage. So I’m assuming I get the Jeep in May.
I think I'd try my local dealer like they mentioned above.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
OP, it sounds like you have 3 things to do immediately:

Step #1 - STOP talking to USAA

Step #2 - START talking to Progressive

Step #3 - TOW your Jeep to another repair facility for a second opinion. I would fight for a dealer, myself, as it is a brand new vehicle I would want nobody but a dealer working on it to ensure the warranty stays valid ;).

Do those things, then check back in. Good Luck!

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I, too, agree with the others about taking it to the dealer. If I was having something that significant done, I would absolutely have it done by the dealer unless their was a body shop I was confident could do a better job. I certainly wouldn't take it to USAA's (or Progressive's) body shop.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
I’ve had a vehicle totaled a few years back.

Things I learned and it worked out for me:

1. DO NOT talk to their insurance company directly and if you have STOP.

2. DO NOT accept any checks mailed to you from their insurance company. Return to sender.

3. Deal ONLY through YOUR insurance company.

4. They should give you the option of one of their approved repair facilities OR one of your choice.
-I chose one I knew that was within their network.
-Had it delivered there and spoke with the guy. Asked him to go through it with a fine tooth comb and reasoned with him as I know they make money on repair vice totaling it out.

He ended up having just enough to total it out for me and I got a new vehicle. I personally did not want to drive a vehicle that was basically worthless at that point and would never drive the same again.

Moral of the story, take it somewhere else. Yeah, it’s a hassle to have it towed all over but in the end it’ll pan out. You shouldn’t have to pay for shit, I didn’t.

Glad you’re ok!!!
Something else I’d like to add for you to think about especially if the body shop it’s at isn’t playing ball.

Body shops are like the dentist office, they think because they’ve got your shit on the table you won’t spend the time, get up and go get a second opinion.

Wrong.

It’ll cost ya probably $50 bucks to have it towed down the road for a second opinion.

Might end up being the best $50 bucks you’ve ever spent.

Wow, good info @MORTON !

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So it’s a
Opinions are the medium between knowledge and ignorance
according to Plato.

As a car dealer with 30 years experience and who is now calculating this kind of stuff professionally, here are the facts:

Unless this repaired wreck of a Jeep is sold to an unaware and/or ignorant dealer or consumer, the 20% loss in value is fact.

Repaired frame damage is somewhere around 15%.

These facts don't prevent a dealer or a consumer from looking past the reported accident history, if one of them really needs to make a deal, so it comes down to, who needs to buy or sell that Jeep more?

The Jeep is a personal asset, so whether it is sold or not, that asset has lost a lot of value.

Talk is cheap, so why not go to a few consumer web sites and put the Jeep's information in twice, as with and without a report accident and frame damage.

Everything else is only an opinion....
So my personal, first hand knowledge, from my wife who works this exact thing, as her job, for an insurance company- is opinion?

er-k, you’re the expert, lol!

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
Carvana’s estimate tool takes accidents into account. Just type in year model info first to get a clean value then do one with your vin typed in and it will calculate value based on the history. I did this with our 2010 Wrangler and it dropped the value about 20% between the two values because of a couple of accidents reported on the vin.
Also I would have the body shop or yourself take as many pics as possible of the repair process so if you ever decide to sell you can show how complete the repair was and not some hack job. I’ve bought vehicles before with previous damage if I could see what went into the repair.

The bright side is with the frame and body separated maybe it’s time for a HEMI swap :)

Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
So it’s a

So my personal, first hand knowledge, from my wife who works this exact thing, as her job, for an insurance company- is opinion?

er-k, you’re the expert, lol!
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, as that was not my intention.

My intention was to point out that what an insurance company wants to pay has no relationship to what the open market will bear.

And, yes, I do these exact kind of valuations everyday as a profession, along with 30 years of experience as a vehicle dealership owner.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, as that was not my intention.

My intention was to point out that what an insurance company wants to pay has no relationship to what the open market will bear.

And, yes, I do these exact kind of valuations everyday as a profession, along with 30 years of experience as a vehicle dealership owner.
You know what- fair enough. I likely took your post the wrong way. Had my wife crawling over my shoulder saying “you tell the son of a...!” Fist bump for clarification.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Challenge is most dealerships no longer have body shops. But if you can find a Jeep dealer that has an in-house body shop that is ideal as most likely to get it written off.

Also ensure that you demand OEM parts as that will significantly drive up price. You have this right in many states (unsure if TX) to demand OEM.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
KBB Analyst
You know what- fair enough. I likely took your post the wrong way. Had my wife crawling over my shoulder saying “you tell the son of a...!” Fist bump for clarification.
We're cool, no problem.

And you were correct from the insurance company's perspective
Sponsored