Sponsored

Spare tire mount (need advice)

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Recently we installed KO2’s (285/79R17) on a stock Sahara (255/70R18) and this was the result.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-spare-blocks-the-view.44213/

The best fix at this point is to replace the mount. This would fix all three problems (camera view, extra weight being held out - no need for bigger bump stops), and the park assist error messages.

BikiniJR in that thread (thanks!) suggested the Teraflex Alpha mount so I did some googling. I can’t go bigger without a lift (and that’s not going to happen for quite some time) so I think this mount (aside from the extra weight limit) might be overkill.

Are there any others you can recommend that will do the job at a lower cost?
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
While I hesitate to speak for anyone else, I believe he was referring to the ~315USD Teraflex Alpha mount for the JL and not the Teraflex Alpha with hinge replacement for the JK. So we understand your budgetary concerns, are you looking for something cheaper than $300USD?
If possible, yes. I would probably be very happy with those, but it definitely seems like overkill for my needs. So far it's the only option I know of, so I'm looking for other suggestions I can research before deciding (which hopefully will be sooner than later). It's for a 2020 JLUS, so the added 15 lb weight limit would be nice, but I'm not likely ever to go above 35" tires (whereas these go to 39"), and even that's a stretch. I think I would almost rather just buy a used Rubicon than mod the Sahara for any serious offroading (it's my daily driver). And after slapping down over 4 grand on tires/wheels... lol

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I don't have a good answer for less than 300USD.

For your issues, the benefit of the Teraflex Alpha HD is that:
1) it pushes the camera out (according to your other thread); and
2) not only is the height adjustable but also the depth, so your bump stops work.
It also potentially can lower your tire to increase rear visibility.

Most of the cheaper options are relocation brackets which will solve neither issue. RuggedRidge has a tire mount closer to 175USD, but I do not know its quality or if it changes the relative position of the camera.

There is a chance that the OEM Rubicon tire carrier might push the camera out. It's a different part number and is bigger; I don't know about its camera mount. You can probably find one of those for cheap in the marketplace, but shipping to N. BC might be murder.

You can always move the camera to a different location and buy longer bump stops, but these do nothing for your parking sensors.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You can always buy a take off stock Rubicon tire carrier. It will fit easily hold a 35 in tire. The rubicon one is taller than the Sport and Sharra tire carrier. Here is a pic of my Rubicon using a stock Rubicon tire carrier with a 37 on it. It is tight, but it fit. You may have to extend your rubber isolators, but that is easy. I sold my rubicon tire carrier for 60 bucks when I upgraded.
20190308_182233.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Sorry guys, I’ll have to edit my OP. The problem is not specifically the tire, it’s the wheel. The offset forces the wheel to be held away from the gate, and we need a mount that will PULL IT BACK and allow it to sit flush against the mount/bump stops. The Rubicon mount won’t likely allow for this.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Correct, it will actually push it out further. But it might get the camera in a better location with respect to the wheel/tire and might fix your sensor warnings. Most of the options will push your wheel out more. The Teraflex Alpha is the only one I know will bring it back in. Rugged Ridge might; it says “fully adjustable”; I have no experience with that product.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Correct, it will actually push it out further. But it might get the camera in a better location with respect to the wheel/tire and might fix your sensor warnings. Most of the options will push your wheel out more. The Teraflex Alpha is the only one I know will bring it back in. Rugged Ridge might; it says “fully adjustable”; I have no experience with that product.
This is exactly the information I needed. Unless someone knows of another one that will correct all three problems (pulling it IN should fix the other two), then Teraflex it is.

Thanks so much! :like:

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Unless someone knows of another one that will correct all three problems...
Not for less than the cost of the Teraflex, no.
Sponsored