Sponsored

Rain with the top off...

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning everybody! Still a noob and was wondering what happens to my leather interior and carpet if it pours on it. I didn't mean to get the Rubi with a leather interior, but it came with it. Is my Wrangler okay with a lot of rain in it? Will the carpet dry and not rot? Probably all obvious to everybody else here, so sorry in advance if it's a silly question. Thank you!
Sponsored

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a soaking wet interior once.
1) If you have hot and dry days afterwards, it'll dry out.
2) if you don't have hot, dry days afterwards, it'll mold and smell.
3) carpet is easy peasy to take out and replace if needed
4) the drainage ports in the floors are great. Leave them open, most water drips out. Just remember to put them back in if you do any water crossings ;) i got some wet feet after forgetting to replace them when fording water that reached my floorboards.
5) leather seats did fine getting wet. Just needed to dry out for a day or two.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Never had leather in any of my 3 wranglers. But, I have gotten caught top down in the rain plenty.
If you have an electrical outlet in your driveway throw a dehumidifier in the back of the Jeep overnight, it will be bone dry in the morning. Not sure how the leather will handle it, but it will dry everything out, including electronics and any water that may get into vents.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Mine has been soaked a few times, once or twice by accident lol

Definitely take the carpets out is my recommendation. It's easy and you can put them back in if you want afterwards.

I don't keep mine in a garage, so I would just leave it out in the sun and hope for the best. Make sure you pull the plugs AND the plug in the bin under the tailgate. That tub in the back will be the first place to get moldy and smell horrible.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I've been in the rain with the roof off several times. I have Rugged Ridge Jeep floor liners so they held the water... put in garage as was still raining, wiped everything down with towel and put two fans inside to move the air as 200% humidly outside. Dried completely next day in the sun.

Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Happened to me last spring. Forgot the roof open and it rained. And it was cold and rainy for four damn days. That kinda sucked.

I pulled the plugs and removed the carpets - pretty easy to do. Decided to pressure wash the carpets to remove any salt - why not, they're already out and already wet.

Then decided I preferred it without carpets, bagged up the now clean and dry carpets and tossed them in storage. I run with just the all weather mats. Plugs out!

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you say "remove the carpet", you mean the whole carpeted area on the JL, not just the carpets. right? How would I do that? do I have to remove all the seats?

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
When you say "remove the carpet", you mean the whole carpeted area on the JL, not just the carpets. right? How would I do that? do I have to remove all the seats?
Seats stay in. No tools required.

Thereā€™s three different kinds of ā€˜carpetsā€™ in the JL. Thereā€™s the flat carpet floor mats for your feet, which obviously just pull out.

Underneath that is the actual carpet. Itā€™s semi-flexible, moulded to follow the contours of the body. It extends under the seats and is held in place by plastic rings in the carpet that slip over plastic pegs in a few places on the body. If you take that out you have the metal body directly underneath. No tools required, but a few prefabricated ā€˜slitsā€™ in the carpets have to be fully opened up. You can rip them by hand or use a knife. Just like the openings for drain plugs in the front, theyā€™re 95% cut already. Just finish the job.

The third is a more rigid ā€˜carpet panelā€™ around the rear wheel wells and cargo area. Those arenā€™t tight fitting to the body like the carpets are, forming ā€˜wallsā€™ of sorts in places and thereā€™s spaces and voids behind some. Those donā€™t seem to come out easily and would look bad without them. I left those in place.

Note - after removing the carpets I found that there are actually eight drain plugs in total. Only the two fronts are accessible without removing the carpets.

OP
OP
ale70

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow....Thank you SO much for sharing your expertise and your personal experience. So basically, it can be put back quite easily as well.....

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wow....Thank you SO much for sharing your expertise and your personal experience. So basically, it can be put back quite easily as well.....
I've not bothered to put it back yet, but it came out so easily I cannot imagine it being at all difficult to put back in.
Sponsored