Power soft top?

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I'm reading the power top is going to be like the liberty skyslider rather than a soft top auto like the video...

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Well hopefully it's better than the liberty version -- people hated it.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I think the prevailing thought was that the power top would be like Renegade MySky top than Liberty Skyslider.

I personally hope so.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Renegade "My Sky" would be fantastic set-up for the JL hardtop, will it be on 2dr as well ?! Slick to have panel slide back, or raise up for ventilation.
Late 2018, 2019 availability ?

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
The info I stated comes directly from Milous.

Sponsored

JPSTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Sting Grey, 2012 Sahara JKU (sold)
A source that has seen prototypes has also told me that one of the prototypes had a sky slider type feature on the soft top. He has not seen a power top feature on any of the hard tops he has seen. Not saying there won't be one, but it has not been used for validation / fitting on any of his projects. That would also be aligned with the info the administrators of this site have shared from the dealer order guide and other threads.

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I'm talking just about power soft top. Should of been more explicit.

PTaterz

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler X, 2017 Volkswagen Jetta SE, 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT
I'm talking just about power soft top. Should of been more explicit.
As a long time Jeep owner and having mainly soft tops on all of those various models since 1973, I for one am looking forward to a powered soft top. At sixty years of age my joints have a really tough time with the manual soft tops. So much so that I have thought about getting a hardtop. I don't want one but, the pain that I endure with a manual leads me more towards the hard. God, I hate getting old!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Honestly, I think I would gravitate toward this style of a power top also. The climate here in Kentucky is such that the weather is never great for having the hard top completely off. In the summer it's 100F and bakes your head while driving. In the winter it snows and can be below 0F. And in the spring and fall there is fog and thick dew all over your seats in the morning. So I personally always left my top up a lot of the time. It sort of defeated the purpose of having a convertible. So, this power top option will be perfect.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I think the prevailing thought was that the power top would be like Renegade MySky top than Liberty Skyslider.

I personally hope so.

What are the most egregious specific faults of the liberty skyslider in everyone's opinion ? Besides just sucking in general.

MySky looks like a decent base to build from for the JLU/JL's "panel hardtop", but no glass, far too simple and ugly to command anything near premium option price.

I think a translucent hard top needs to be offered, two ways. One featuring these glass sunroofs with interior opaque panels, that remove before removing the sunroofs themselves, and storing them in secure storage area similar to mysky.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
One thing that makes any of these tops better for a Wrangler than other vehicles is that you can completely change the top on a Wrangler. The power top on the Liberty I'm sure was great for the owners for a time. But one tough winter and you start to hate it.

Us? We swap tops like we change underwear - seasonally.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I like the idea of a key being required to take them off. While not completely theft proof (what is?), it should stop an opportunist from stealing the panels from an otherwise open JL.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
However, things change. So, any info from Milous needs to be "time stamped" so we can begin to judge if it is still applicable or not.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Similar to how the 'sun rider' top when opened - is dropped down like a regular top - I would presume that the track and all for the power top will also fold back when the top is completely folded down.

The power top needs to be self sufficient except for a power connection. The motor, track, etc. will all need to be removable as part of the top so that owners/factory can install and remove these different tops.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I'm reading the power top is going to be like the liberty skyslider rather than a soft top auto like the video...

So is the consensus here that the soft power top will NOT be like the aftermarket folding hardtops (like the one in the video)? But rather some type of sunroof that is soft material?
Sponsored