2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Amazon I think it was 16.00

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
OP
OP
stoowie

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have been detailing vehicles for over 10 years, including paint correction and ceramic coatings. I have been really impressed with the new Turtle Wax Seal n Shine. I used it on a buddy's truck that he just wanted something easy done. I now use it quite a bit. Easy to use, super slick, and holds up to chemicals really well. I ceramic coated the tailgate and the roof of my Jeep and use Seal n Shine on the rest if it that is wrapped in PPF.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It may be nice, but just wait until you put a ceramic coat on instead!

81OyLozjbFL._SL1500_.jpg

Drexler Ceramic Coating Kit 30ml + 50ml / 3 to 5 Years of Gloss & Protection, Super Hydrophobic Professional Care Detailing 9H Hardness
Price: $69.90

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY6M26W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have you used this Drexler brand or is this just an example? I'd love to save the $1200 or what not on coating. Seems like less work than a good wax job (although you need to do that prior of course).

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Have you used this Drexler brand or is this just an example? I'd love to save the $1200 or what not on coating. Seems like less work than a good wax job (although you need to do that prior of course).
I know you were asking DonBindas but I'll chime in. I have not used the Drexler brand. I typically use CarPro products unless someone request different. The ceramic coating process is not incredibly difficult. You need to make sure it is spread evenly and allowed to cure or flash for the proper amount of time. The tricky part is determining the right amount of time and making sure you get all excess material wiped off. If it is left on the paint too long you'll most likely have to compound it off.

The time consuming process with ceramic coating is the prep time. In order for the coating to bond properly the paint needs to be free of any contaminates or previous waxes/sealants. For best performance the paint should be washed with a decon wash, clay barred, and preferably polished. After that and before applying the coating all surfaces need to be wiped down with a coating prep. You can make your own using diluted IPA/rubbing alcohol. You want to cut it to about 25-30%.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I know you were asking DonBindas but I'll chime in. I have not used the Drexler brand. I typically use CarPro products unless someone request different. The ceramic coating process is not incredibly difficult. You need to make sure it is spread evenly and allowed to cure or flash for the proper amount of time. The tricky part is determining the right amount of time and making sure you get all excess material wiped off. If it is left on the paint too long you'll most likely have to compound it off.

The time consuming process with ceramic coating is the prep time. In order for the coating to bond properly the paint needs to be free of any contaminates or previous waxes/sealants. For best performance the paint should be washed with a decon wash, clay barred, and preferably polished. After that and before applying the coating all surfaces need to be wiped down with a coating prep. You can make your own using diluted IPA/rubbing alcohol. You want to cut it to about 25-30%.
Thanks for this! Great details.

I totally misspoke, I was talking about doing paint correction before the ceramic coating! Woops! Don't wax then ceramic coat! Liten to SilverRubi!

I need to get paint correction done.. I don't think I have the dedication/energy to do it myself.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for this! Great details.

I totally misspoke, I was talking about doing paint correction before the ceramic coating! Woops! Don't wax then ceramic coat! Liten to SilverRubi!

I need to get paint correction done.. I don't think I have the dedication/energy to do it myself.
Ha. Just wanted to make sure you didn't try coating over wax. Paint correction on a wrangler is a pain. All the corners, hinges, and plastic. It's not hard just time consuming. If you were closer I'd be glad to help you out.

Another misconception with coatings is that they are scratch proof. Most are a little harder than clear coat but they will still scratch. That is why with my OCD I just had it wrapped in PPF, figured I'd end up polishing the paint off every time I went offroading.

Back to the original post, if you just want a good sealant or spray coating the Turtle wax products are pretty good. For the price the spray coating or the Seal n Shine will give you several months of protection and water behavior is very similar to an actual coating. Prep work isn't as important and they are really quick and easy to apply. You can even do the fenders and hard top. It'll darken up the black and keep it from fading.

Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Ha. Just wanted to make sure you didn't try coating over wax. Paint correction on a wrangler is a pain. All the corners, hinges, and plastic. It's not hard just time consuming. If you were closer I'd be glad to help you out.

Another misconception with coatings is that they are scratch proof. Most are a little harder than clear coat but they will still scratch. That is why with my OCD I just had it wrapped in PPF, figured I'd end up polishing the paint off every time I went offroading.

Back to the original post, if you just want a good sealant or spray coating the Turtle wax products are pretty good. For the price the spray coating or the Seal n Shine will give you several months of protection and water behavior is very similar to an actual coating. Prep work isn't as important and they are really quick and easy to apply. You can even do the fenders and hard top. It'll darken up the black and keep it from fading.
I totally agree with SilverRubi

The reason I posted a picture of Drexler is that I tried the cheaper stuff and it was a BIG mistake.

The nice thing about ceramic is that is eliminates the static cling that you get with wax, dirt often washes off without scrubbing, and it is 30% harder than the factory clear coat finish.

Even so, don't count on it to defend you against scratches.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have the ceramic coating from Opti-Coat. The problem with my finish is if you look really close, the clear coat isn't perfectly smooth, but has ripples in it so doesn't reflect as good as I would like it. Also just rinsing off the Jeep doesn't get rid off all the dirt, it still looks dirty. But bugs will wash off easily. Water beads like crazy!

coating.jpg

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I have the ceramic coating from Opti-Coat. The problem with my finish is if you look really close, the clear coat isn't perfectly smooth, but has ripples in it so doesn't reflect as good as I would like it. Also just rinsing off the Jeep doesn't get rid off all the dirt, it still looks dirty. But bugs will wash off easily. Water beads like crazy!

coating.jpg
As you likely already know, no amount of wax, sealants, or ceramics are going to fix the crappy factory orange peel. Best we can all do is keep her very clean and very shiny, which is sufficient for most of us

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I won't put a number on how much harder ceramic coatings are than clearcoats, but they can be much much harder.

A Camaro I had a few years ago, got hit (and run) in a parking lot. The pictures below are the damage. The car was coated with Ceramic Pro a few years before this. The clear coat was totally free of damage and this deformation was completely repaired by paintless dent removal by one of the best in Southern CA (Beach Cities Paintless Dent Removal, Huntington Beach, CA) . To say I was impressed with the ceramic coat performance is an understatement. I was also floored by the work of Jeff at Beach Cities Paintless Dent Removal, Huntington Beach, CA. I've used him a few times over the years and he never disappoints.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Best Wax YET 20190805_123429
Jeep Wrangler JL The Best Wax YET 20190805_123325
Sponsored