Best Wax For Black JLU

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I’m just seeing it. This info helps for sure. Is the ceramic coating working well for you so far?
Yeah for sure. Washing it is much easier. Nothing seems to want to adhere as easily to it at all. Bug season is going to be much easier on it and upkeep in general
Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I second the ceramic coat. I just put a coat of Carbon C9 from Chemical Guys. I even put it in the windshield and all the glass outside (even mirrors) Washing (foam) clay barring and drying then C9 took 3 of us 5 hours today. Totally worth it. Tomorrow I'll take all the wheels off and C9 them too.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Plus one on this! I didn't let my dealer touch mine though because my local guy preps them so good. He had it for 3 days. Full on wash, clay bar, polish then applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum light and EXO. Came out looking better than new.
Best brands are opticoat, Gtechniq, c.quartz, and ceramic pro. I went with Gtechniq because of the price and looking at reviews was just as solid as other products priced much more. Mine was about $600 for everything. Washes so fast now, super hydrophobic, has a great shine.

IMG_0782.jpg
Hi, which do you think is better? Ceramic or Xzilon coating?

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership threw in the Xzilon coating and I just gave it her first wash today , Water just fell right off so the walk around with microfiber was a breeze . So far so good !

Would like to know how long this last though

20180325_112142.jpg

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Dealership threw in the Xzilon coating and I just gave it her first wash today , Water just fell right off so the walk around with microfiber was a breeze . So far so good !

Would like to know how long this last though
Curious, did the dealership throw it in and then ask you to set up an appointment for a refresh? Cause that may be coming down the road when you have your next dealership freebe oil change. The cost of Xzilon coating applied by a dealership can be pricey say $500- $700. You can get a do it yourself home kit for about $60-90. Anyway, wonder if the dealership did you a solid or has something up it's sleeves.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, did the dealership throw it in and then ask you to set up an appointment for a refresh? Cause that may be coming down the road when you have your next dealership freebe oil change. The cost of Xzilon coating applied by a dealership can be pricey say $500- $700. You can get a do it yourself home kit for about $60-90. Anyway, wonder if the dealership did you a solid or has something up it's sleeves.
Didn't mention anything about refresh but want to ask now !
Went back the next day to have them remove a few spots on windshield ( glue , sap ???) and asked them about the Xyilon . they said it took 2 guys almost 2.5 hours and weren't to sure how long its last . They used 2 small bottles on the jeep which tells me they went the extra mile

No charge anywhere on invoice so Im assuming they did right with this

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Off Topic but I ordered a bio free leather steering wheel wrap - showed up today - set it in the sun to loosen up for the big stretch

Holy smokes ! was that a pain in the ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Hi, which do you think is better? Ceramic or Xzilon coating?
Not too familiar with the Xzilon to be honest. I would look on some of the professional detailing forums like autogeekonline it will give you an idea of what some of the guys in the detail world are using and like. Seems like Xzilon is somehting dealerships use, which isn't necessarily bad but I'd look more into what the guys doing that work everyday are using personally. Hope that helps

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara that is black. Getting ready to do the first waxing of the paint. The question is this... what is the best wax that will not turn white when it dries? I can't stand when you accidentally get some wax on a piece of rubber or plastic and then can't get the white residue completely off. Plus inevitably the wax will get in some nook where you can't get it out of and on a black Jeep it sticks out like a sore thumb.
a lot of folks here will talk about paint correction and magic unobtanium kryptonite coatings. and they work well.
i've got a CTS-V caddy i had this done to, with xpel film. two years ago, still looks good.

paint correction and magic coating: $1800
xpel ultimate, front clip and rockers, etc.: $1,400

$3,200 all in. is it worth it for a jeep? not for me, it isn't. and i'm satisfied with the work i had done on the caddy.
bear in mind i have most everything you'd want to do paint correction with, from aircraft dual pad polishers,
to multiple festool dual action stuff. with a festool RO-90 and festool 8000 grit polish, you can do astounding things
to paint.

here is what i'm using on a black JLUR:

all of it comes from, or can be had at CR spotless.
DIC-20 ion exchange water treatment.
kranzle pressure washer. i have a model a couple clicks above the one CR sells, but theirs is just as good.
kranzel quick connect package
simple chuck foam cannon.

and the secret weapon: Simple Chuck’s Suds ‘n Shine

if you buy it by the gallon, it's $10 a quart. put it on the foam cannon undiluted.

last week, the jeep went to san jose, thru the central valley, at night. bug heaven.
it came back the following night, coastal route. more bug heaven.

plus salty sand from pismo beach, and drizzle and road spray. it was scummy. a good test.

walked around with the foam cannon with suds set on sloppy, not bubble bath. 5 minutes,
two laps around the jeep.

switch to wand. rinse car off thoroughly. done in direct sunlight. walk away. don't touch the paint.
second five minutes. done.

no road film, waterspots, soap scum, and the bugs are gone.

i haven't even bothered to wax the thing yet, and the maintenance is this easy.

EDIT:

a more stringent test of the foam cannon just happened an hour ago.

i hit a skunk. don't even ask how. i've never done it before. on goldenwest,
heading for pacific coast highway. about a mile and a half from my shop.

turned around, scooched back fast to the shop, pulled out the foam cannon,
and *liberally* did the entire underside of the jeep. then pressure washed it.
then repeated the process. the smell is gone. and it was pretty nasty when i
pulled up. barfing nasty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so let me get this straight... You too have a black JL, have done NOTHING to it, sprayed Simple Chuck's Suds-n-Shine twice around the Jeep (I assume sloppy is way thicker than bubble bath). Let it sit for a min I assume and twice around for a spray off. In sunlight, no drying with a microfiber, etc... drip dry and you had no streaks, spots, etc... I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly because it sounds pretty unbelievable.

The one thing I looked into was getting a good polisher, clay bar, ceramic coat. There are more steps than that but you know what I mean. Seems like a hell of a lot of work but there is no denying the dirt and water fall off it.

BTW... how the heck did you hit a skunk?

Sponsored

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
IMG_9032.jpg
IMG_9034.jpg
IMG_9035.jpg
IMG_9036.jpg
IMG_9037.jpg
OK, so let me get this straight... You too have a black JL, have done NOTHING to it, sprayed Simple Chuck's Suds-n-Shine twice around the Jeep (I assume sloppy is way thicker than bubble bath). Let it sit for a min I assume and twice around for a spray off. In sunlight, no drying with a microfiber, etc... drip dry and you had no streaks, spots, etc... I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly because it sounds pretty unbelievable.

The one thing I looked into was getting a good polisher, clay bar, ceramic coat. There are more steps than that but you know what I mean. Seems like a hell of a lot of work but there is no denying the dirt and water fall off it.

BTW... how the heck did you hit a skunk?
you weren't supposed to ask that.

it seems it got hit by the car in front of me, and came
out from under the back end of that car moving. i coulda missed
it if it was a road waffle. both drivers side wheels went over it.

they smell bad when you do that, i've been told. they were right.
shut off A/C and vents, windows were up, and hauled ass back
to my shop. wasn't more than a few minutes.

and i didn't let the stuff sit at all. the second trip was to make
sure it' wasn't drying on there. then i washed it off as fast as i could.

it leaves the surface in pretty good shape.

don't touch it. let it air dry. i have a master blaster for drying. i don't use
it except under the hood. every so often, i squirt S100 cleaner on the engine,
and wash it off fast, then blow dry.

the CTS-V is two years old with 88,000 miles on it, and the engine bay looks brand
new. so does the entire car, for that matter.

every once in a while you'll want to use a pail and a wash mitt, to remove stubborn stuff,
but i wash both of these 2~3 times a week, depending on grunge.

edit: there are some dust specks, as it's been a few hours.... but you get the idea.....

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Turtle Wax Ice. I've used it for 11 years on my JK. Paint looks brand new. Goes over decals, plastic, and rubber, too. Rubicon decals look new and even my cheap, 11 year old Wal Mart American flag decals look new. Great stuff!

Socceref

First Name
Ref
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (loaded)
Leather care?
My Sahara has leather seats, arm rests, steering wheel and dashboard.

What is best for these surfaces?

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
I am a fan of Lexol too. I used it for years. However, last year l began using Gyeon Leather Coat and the accompanying Gyeon Leather Cleaner. The Leather Coat is coating for leather that help prevent oils and dirt from sticking to the leather and the cleaner won’t remove the coating. I apply the coating every 3-4 months. It takes about 10 minutes to do an entire vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited: