Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara that is black. Getting ready to do the first waxing of the paint. The question is this... what is the best wax that will not turn white when it dries? I can't stand when you accidentally get some wax on a piece of rubber or plastic and then can't get the white residue completely off. Plus inevitably the wax will get in some nook where you can't get it out of and on a black Jeep it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Don't wax it. Have a detailer paint correct it and then do a ceramic coating. With black this will be an investment that will last years. Especially if you don't like the residue. Also using detailers tape will help keep the wax off of areas it shouldn't be if you do go with wax.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Don't wax it. Have a detailer paint correct it and then do a ceramic coating. With black this will be an investment that will last years. Especially if you don't like the residue. Also using detailers tape will help keep the wax off of areas it shouldn't be if you do go with wax.
Plus one on this! I didn't let my dealer touch mine though because my local guy preps them so good. He had it for 3 days. Full on wash, clay bar, polish then applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum light and EXO. Came out looking better than new.
Best brands are opticoat, Gtechniq, c.quartz, and ceramic pro. I went with Gtechniq because of the price and looking at reviews was just as solid as other products priced much more. Mine was about $600 for everything. Washes so fast now, super hydrophobic, has a great shine.

IMG_0782.jpg

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Plus one on this! I didn't let my dealer touch mine though because my local guy preps them so good. He had it for 3 days. Full on wash, clay bar, polish then applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum light and EXO. Came out looking better than new.
Best brands are opticoat, Gtechniq, c.quartz, and ceramic pro. I went with Gtechniq because of the price and looking at reviews was just as solid as other products priced much more. Mine was about $600 for everything. Washes so fast now, super hydrophobic, has a great shine.

IMG_0782.jpg
This may be a dumb question Matt, but did they apply the ceramic coat to your fender flares as well? I have a rig like yours and I hear that the fender flares can definitely fade over time in the sun. Thanks!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Matt,

Wow! If I can get mine like that.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
This may be a dumb question Matt, but did they apply the ceramic coat to your fender flares as well? I have a rig like yours and I hear that the fender flares can definitely fade over time in the sun. Thanks!
Not a dumb question at all i asked same thing.No he did not. I’ve heard of people putting some sort of film over them.
He put Gtechniq c2v3 on it, I also bought some chemical guys vrp, both products are available on amazon and are more of a vinyl protectant. The c2v3 is also used to keep the life of the ceramic longer, people put it on after washing to protect the ceramic if you will.
Some other guys on here use a boating product that is a plastic protectant they swear by it. I can’t remember the name but also on amazon
Hope that helps

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Carbon_Flex_C9_Trim_Coating_Kit_4_Items_p/wac228.htm

This is what I bought. I've used this on my Titan and I'll continue to use it on my Jeep. I have the C9 for paint as well. You can't go wrong with chemical Guys products.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I'm guessing aerospace 303 for the plastic. I didn't find out about it until I got into kayaking but seems good. It smells like armorall to me.
Some other guys on here use a boating product that is a plastic protectant they swear by it. I can’t remember the name but also on amazon

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I plan on getting that 303 Marine version to use on the trim, tires, etc...

Is that teh stuff that some guys actually use on the paint, like a wax?

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I'm guessing aerospace 303 for the plastic. I didn't find out about it until I got into kayaking but seems good. It smells like armorall to me.
Yeah that’s it. I’m using the chemical guys stuff seems good so far. Honestly worst case I’ll rip them off and put steel flat fenders if they fade.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Not a dumb question at all i asked same thing.No he did not. I’ve heard of people putting some sort of film over them.
He put Gtechniq c2v3 on it, I also bought some chemical guys vrp, both products are available on amazon and are more of a vinyl protectant. The c2v3 is also used to keep the life of the ceramic longer, people put it on after washing to protect the ceramic if you will.
Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I’m just seeing it. This info helps for sure. Is the ceramic coating working well for you so far?

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara that is black. Getting ready to do the first waxing of the paint. The question is this... what is the best wax that will not turn white when it dries? I can't stand when you accidentally get some wax on a piece of rubber or plastic and then can't get the white residue completely off. Plus inevitably the wax will get in some nook where you can't get it out of and on a black Jeep it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Pinnacle Souveran gets my vote.