• Total voters

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Looking at two different sun shades. Narrowed it down to the alien shade or the smittybilt extended shade top with skylight. Has anyone tried the smittybilt one yet? Can’t seem to find any reviews on it yet. A little nervous about buying it without seeing anyone else’s opinion on it.

300C3C1F-A400-4090-AD85-BD07F5179F45.png
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I knows nothing about the Smittybilt shade, but from the picture it looks droopy and saggy. That's not to say it's of any poor quality... it just looks too busy & strappy with the side & rear mesh shades.

You can't go wrong with the Alien or JTops offerings. I use both, but mainly Alien. They're colorful & pretty dang tight front to back. Plenty of fans here of both.

OP
OP
Dubeau9005

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I knows nothing about the Smittybilt shade, but from the picture it looks droopy and saggy. That's not to say it's of any poor quality... it just looks too busy & strappy with the side & rear mesh shades.

You can't go wrong with the Alien or JTops offerings. I use both, but mainly Alien. They're colorful & pretty dang tight front to back. Plenty of fans here of both.
Now that you say it, I see what you mean about saggy. I was thinking it was a good option as it would give our son full protection if we wanted to zip up both layers in the rear. But don’t want something flapping around the whole time. I really like the J Tops ones but looking for two piece so we can have the front removed when we want while still having protection for the rear. I thought the smittybilt one would be perfect since we could completely open it up but thinking of just going for the alien shade instead.

OP
OP
Dubeau9005

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look at JTops USA. Awesome fit. No sagging. High quality.
Use buckles instead of bungees.
Not interested in a 1 piece. If I was, JTops would be at the top of my list for sure. Want the freedom of being able to only have the back on if needed for our son.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer bungees over buckles/straps. Both will eventually wear out and break. Bungees you can easily replace. Straps not so much.
I like the bungees, but the plastic clips behind the windshield have already cracked & snapped for a few of us. Andrew's been replacing them for those who mentioned this.

I can't remember where, but I thought I saw an alternative solution to the clips. Doesn't deter me... I'm still a fan of the Alien.

Kate@JTopsUSA

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1997, Jeep JKU 2013, Jeep JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU 2018 (on order!)
Not interested in a 1 piece. If I was, JTops would be at the top of my list for sure. Want the freedom of being able to only have the back on if needed for our son.
Thanks for the kind words! We love to see happy customers on the forum! :like:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I've got an @AlienSunshade 1 piece on my Jeep. The fit and finish of the Alien is top notch. Color match is pretty good too. It does a good job of controlling the wind flow when I have my top all the way down. This seems to be fairly consistent with the 2 pc variant as well, based on all the user reviews I read before purchasing. I was surprised how big a difference the shade made when driving with the top down. I could hear passengers and music more clearly without having to increase volume. I was able to install without dropping the windshield and leave it installed when I swapped over to my hard top. We used it this summer on vacation when we were in Maine and it did a great job of regulating the wind/ sun from driving near the ocean. In terms of shade, I've found it's good up until about 90 degrees (85 if it's really humid) before i put the top up and start blasting the AC, but I deal with heat better than my wife and son.

I generally stay away from Smittybuilt products. There's a reason they have the nickname "S*ittybuilt". It looks pretty saggy and the weave of material seems to have larger gaps, which means less shade and more errant wind flow. Honestly, I'd go with one of the other companies offering a 2 piece. If those are still a little too pricey for the budget, There are plenty of Amazon Specials that will meet or beat the Smitty one. My buddy got one for his JKU for $50 (I think). It's pretty nice, but they only offered black. After seeing mine, He's said if he went with it again he'd go Alien.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Could you roll up the extra for part shading with the JTops ? It seems to fit with no gaps or sagging, no "strobe effect " from bright sun, which the other brands seem to have..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dubeau9005

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got an @AlienSunshade 1 piece on my Jeep. The fit and finish of the Alien is top notch. Color match is pretty good too. It does a good job of controlling the wind flow when I have my top all the way down. This seems to be fairly consistent with the 2 pc variant as well, based on all the user reviews I read before purchasing. I was surprised how big a difference the shade made when driving with the top down. I could hear passengers and music more clearly without having to increase volume. I was able to install without dropping the windshield and leave it installed when I swapped over to my hard top. We used it this summer on vacation when we were in Maine and it did a great job of regulating the wind/ sun from driving near the ocean. In terms of shade, I've found it's good up until about 90 degrees (85 if it's really humid) before i put the top up and start blasting the AC, but I deal with heat better than my wife and son.

I generally stay away from Smittybuilt products. There's a reason they have the nickname "S*ittybuilt". It looks pretty saggy and the weave of material seems to have larger gaps, which means less shade and more errant wind flow. Honestly, I'd go with one of the other companies offering a 2 piece. If those are still a little too pricey for the budget, There are plenty of Amazon Specials that will meet or beat the Smitty one. My buddy got one for his JKU for $50 (I think). It's pretty nice, but they only offered black. After seeing mine, He's said if he went with it again he'd go Alien.
Thanks for your input. Price isn’t really the issue. Just trying to narrow down my options. From what you as well as others have pointed out about the other one looking very saggy, I think I am going to go with the alien shade one. Looked at the cheap amazon ones but I would rather do it once and do it right.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Hi. I had decided on getting the Alien Sunshade 2-piece but looks like they may have gone out of business?

Has anyone bought the Shadeidea - it looks like a knock off of the alien, but has the bungee strap look I like? I don’t like the buckles on the JTtop.

https://www.shadeidea.com/
Sponsored